Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Stovistas – tell me about your flue….
  • ourmaninthenorth

So, we have a lovely stove that keeps us warm and toasty. We don’t have a chimney breast, so it stands proud in the room. The flue exists straight out of the top and through the ceiling.

The only thing I don’t find attractive (well, I don;t GAS, but others have passed comment) is the imbalanced look between the clue the the twin wall chimney.

So, I know some people on here (cos I’ve been stalking your pics) clearly have twin wall all the way – do you find that you lose much in the way of heat output this way?

Grainy pic for explanation:

nbt

I like the look of that. I think a straight-up twinwall would be awful

ourmaninthenorth

Well there’s someone to challenge me! Cheers Jules!

sandwicheater

Wall looks too bare, put some pictures up man!

Reckon the fire and chimney look ace. Nice length, good girth at the end, what’s not to like?

Stoner
    Free Member

i prefer having single wall flue on mine. A friend has twin wall all the way up and I think it looks wrong, both aesthetically and practically.

geoffj

Needs a stoner-esque log rack at the side of it.

Is it straight? Looks a bit squint to me.

wrightyson
    Free Member

How’s your back? Telly looks heavy..

Drac

Looks good to me. It’s like a piston driving into the combustion chamber, also I like Is said on the other thread it matches your TV. Nice touch.

ourmaninthenorth

It’s straight. Photo is wonky.

TV is now gone and replaced with a mahoosive non-matching flat panel job. Furniture is returned. Still no pics on the wall while we umm and ahh about what we’re doing on the renovations* front generally.

Stoner – how close to the ceiling do you take the single wall flue? We have best part of a metre of twin wall before the ceiling.

*well, attic conversion and single storey extension, which has an impact on sitting room. So we’re sorting of waiting to see. Which is a bit dire after living there for nearly 3 years….

Stoner
    Free Member

Stoner – how close to the ceiling do you take the single wall flue? We have best part of a metre of twin wall before the ceiling.

*grabs tape measure*

Mine is about 12″ from a non combustible baffle. i.e. 2x flue dia.

ourmaninthenorth

Great photo!

Interesting. I think our installers were cautious (in spite of being from Yorkshire and complaining endlessly about spending a day working in Lancashire…), hence having a fair chunk of twinwall.

mangoridebike

we’ve got twinwall coming straight out the back of ours, through the wall into the garage where it then goes straight up through the roof. We accepted that we would lose a bit of heat with this set up but were happy with the compromise as it allows the stove to sit nicely within the room without the flue drawing attention to it.

Chesney Milan 4 if you’re interested

Stove install by Chris_Read_3, on Flickr

i need to get a pic of it with all the furniture back in place

ourmaninthenorth

Ours (Firebelly FB-1) does have the ability to have a flue going out of the back, but that would have meant a lot of external flue up the side of the house and very unhappy neighbours looking at the side of a fish and chip shop..!

flap_jack
    Free Member

Can’t post photos (haven’t got a photo hosting account), but ours is mostly single wall, twin wall starts about 20cm from ceiling. The twin wall is hidden in a shroud.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Stovistas – tell me about your flue….’ is closed to new replies.