Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Stove installation – cost?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

I know that on STW wood burning stoves are pretty much as popular as bikes so I was hoping for a bit of experience from these who’ve had them installed recently.

I am thinking of going down the line of buying everything myself from the stovefittersmanual / stovefitterswarehouse website, which seems to be about cheap as anywhere plus there’s loads of handy advice. I’ve stripped the fireplace and will be fitting a hearth this week. My gf has convinced me not to go clambering up on the roof to drop the flue liner down so reluctantly I’m waiting for a few quotes for someone to install the liner, cowl, stove and cover plate and sign it all off. Any ideas what it’s likely to cost me? I expect a lot of installers make a bit of mark up on supplying the kit, so am I likely to have to pay a bit more for the installation if I’ve bought it myself?

Cheers,

PS obligatory fireplace shots:

Excuse for the shocking wallpaper – we’ve only just moved in

Cat decided to take a piss on the hearth to express his displeasure at all the noise 👿

mildbore

It took two blokes a day to fit ours (had some mods to the fireplace etc too) and we paid £400 in labour out a total bill of £1600

wolly
    Free Member

Looks a very similar size to mine, what work are you doing your self if any? I rendered and fitted the hearth the fitting was ~ £700

Mowgli
    Free Member

Originally I’d planned to do the whole lot, but now we’re getting someone in to put the liner in, cowl on top, and connect to the stove. Fitting cost seems to be about £500 from what the quotes I’ve had so far. I’ve got a huge lump of slate outside which I’m going to cut to size for the hearth, scrub and point the brickwork, fit brackets for the closure plate and either learn how to plaster or get someone in to tidy up the front wall.

cp

How much are folk paying to have the chimney lined?

Apologies for hijack, the thread just got some thought juices going.

jam-bo

£2000 give or take for burner + liner installed. Burner was £800 of that.

I built the hearth

twang
    Free Member

That’s a handsome hole!

Sorry, no info about costs but Ive got to ask why have you rolled up two lengths of wallpaper if its coming off?

alanl
    Free Member

I’ve just done mine myself.
    It isnt quite finished as the plastering needs to be done but otherwise is now up and running.
    Total cost around£1000 – far more than I expected.
    We bought a 2nd hand stove, £280, everything else was new.
    I was hoping to have it go straight into the current chimney, but once the open fire was out, I could see the poor condition of my chimney, so decided on a liner.
    I bought the cheaper liner . 316 iirc, at £13/metre. 9 metres of that. Top hat pot fixing was £45, 6″ to 5″ flue adpator, stove pipe and angle pieces were around £150.
    The fire needed new brick/baffle plate and grate which were £200 – it cost just about the same overall 2nd hand as it was new, but we didnt know that at the time.
    New tiles and hardibacker board for the register plate was another £100. Odds and sods added at least £50.
    I paid a roofer £50 to drop in the flue and attach the top hat. I did the rest myself.
    Remarkably easy overall.
    There’s good guides here:
    http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/articles/connecting-a-wood-burning-stove-to-a-chimney/

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Another thing you could do if you still have a header take in the loft is get a stove with back boiler so it heats and fills a tank in the loft and run your radiators off of it at the same time then with some very clever valving swap over the rads to your combi boiler when your not using the fire. Working well still 7 years since I did it for me parents

Mowgli
    Free Member

alan – thanks for the cost breakdown, very handy. You seem to have got everything a lot cheaper than I have found – the 316 liner is £20/m, and the fitting kit (cowl, brackets, adapters, vitreous pipe) all adds up to just over £200. The stove we like is £600 but comes with a £150 ‘voucher’ which can offset some of the cost of the flue liner.

I did think about a back boiler, but it’s hard to find a smallish stove (5kW) DEFRA approved with a boiler. The boiler sucks too much heat out and makes the combustion less efficient so Defra don’t approve them (we’re in a smoke control zone). The boiler itself adds about £200 at least, reduces the range of available stoves, and the plumbing hassle would be another few hundred £. We don’t have a hot water tank, and the stove isn’t going to be our primary source of heat. In the end just not worth it, but I do see the appeal.

The plastering won’t be done till after Christmas, so I was going to roll the wallpaper back down to cover some of the mess in the short term.

poolman
    Free Member

I helped the installer do mine to get the cost down. A 10kw stove weighed 125kg so be warned they are heavy. Ditto 4m of flue, it took 2 of us to lift it.

Top tip too, 1st burn take it easy & keep the house well ventilated they burn off the solvents from the factory – stunk the house out, I ended up sitting outside looking at the fire it was so bad.

The stove is amazing, quite worth the good reputation they get on here.

weeksy

http://www.therevcounter.co.uk/threads/106182-Another-Stove

Bloke I know has this one available for what I assume is decent money.

nemesis
    Free Member

Hijack/slightly OT but has anyone had experience and more to the point, a cost for fitting one with a new external flue – we’re looking to replace a gas fire which vents to a powered flue directly outside the other side of the wall (no chimney/breast)

This sort of thing

granny_ring

4 years ago for us it was £1k or just over for fitting of – 9-10m of 316 flue, top hat & fixing kit, Vermiculite insulation (5 bags from memory), register plate, swan neck stove pipe & adapter. South East prices.

Could have bought the parts for around £350-400 I think, but seeing the guy standing on the chimney stack looking like he was wrestling with an anaconda for 20 mins made me realise I made the right decision getting them in.

🙂

Oh and good work so far OP, good luck with the end result.

alanl
    Free Member

I got most of my bits from here:
    http://www.snhtradecentre.co.uk/flues-fittings/

They were just about the cheapest for everything.
    Oh, and the cheaper flues cannot handle smokeless fuels iirc – they burn hotter, so you need the better stainless flues. I fitted 316 as we’ll only burn wood.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Thanks. Those prices are good. Do you think there’s much/any difference in quality compared to the more expensive places, or is it all essentially the same stuff just with different branding and mark-up applied?

duckman

Where are you Mowgli? I am a time served plasterer,who fitted his own stove last year.

alanl
    Free Member

I think they fittings are the same wherever you buy them, pictures dont show any difference in the parts, I know with flues you should, if you can afford it, get the best available, but, as I’m always skint, I went for the cheapest.

duckman

Another point is that I struggled to tell the difference in cheap stoves. I had a £400 budget for the stove and bought one of the ebay ones for £200 in the end as it was a knock off of the £850 one in my local stove place.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Stove installation – cost?’ is closed to new replies.