• This topic has 78 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by davecarry-spam.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Stove fans; Ecofan, Valiant etc
  • spooky_b329

Slightly surprised that I can’t find any type of comparison test for stove fans. Surely there must be someone who has had both and aired their thoughts on the interweb?!

I’m leaning towards the Valiant stove fan for around £50, can’t see anything to suggest the Ecofan is any more effective…although I prefer the look of the Ecofan I don’t think I can justify the extra £40.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The valliant looks like a carbon copy of mu ecofan it works fine

New ecofan has a redesigned blade to shift more air.

Either will improve what you have.

spooky_b329

Thanks.

I’m impatient so about to hit the button on a Valiant 🙂

kcal

anyone know any models that are shorter? stove in sitting room is under a low mantle and the base model ecofan model is too tall. which is a shame as it would work really well I reckon..

thegreatape
    Free Member

kcal – I had the same issue, and found this guy http://www.peakdistrictcreations.co.uk/members/look-creations/the-fan-c-recycled-stove-top-fan/

I didn’t buy one in the end, but only because the Mrs didn’t want one, but several emails back and forth with the chap, and he seemed a decent bloke.

ski
    Free Member

The only difference I noticed with one of the cheaper ones was it was not silent in operation, just thought I mention it just in case, might not be an issue with the one you are looking at, but something else to consider

Ecofan user for the last 3 years

stratobiker
    Free Member

Also take a look at max and min temps for each.

Some of them can’t take too much heat.

Another Ecofan fan here!

SB

PePPeR

How cool do these fans run down to?

I’ve got back boiler on my fire and it never boils a kettle on the top, do you reckon there would be enough heat emitted to turn one of these over though?

greeble
    Free Member

I didn’t buy one in the end, but only because the Mrs didn’t want one, but several emails back and forth with the chap, and he seemed a decent bloke.

nice use of a £30ish cpu cooler and selling it for £155
    http://www.quietpc.com/cnps9700?gclid=CJnz1JuonLoCFRMftAod8QkALQ
    and a £10 TEG module

ski
    Free Member

Mine gets going at 300f but once going will only stop working once the stove drops below 200f

That’s the temp taken from the flu pipe btw

PePPeR

Cheers Ski, my local friendly publican has one on his fire, I’m going to blag it off him for an evening to try. 😉

Dobbo

I’d forgotten all about getting a stove fan since I heard of them a year or so ago. Just bought a Valiant stove fan from Amazon. Thanks for Spooky!

🙂

bigblackshed

Valiant here.

Came “free” with the stove, when I say “free” I mean “I’m having one of these as well after you’ve cocked me about for so long”

Seems to do the job. No noise.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if you get it and its noisy – you can ge the ecofan motors for 12 quid from calfree in the uk 😉 – check your drive shaft OD and you holders ID + voltage and youll be good to go.

kcal

After the ecofan fell off the stove while wifie was cleaning, it’s clattering at low revs 🙁
    However I’m not sure I’m competent to diagnose the actual fault (bearing I guess) let alone sort it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Kcal – all you have to do is change the motor. a child knocked mine over

Its litterally a small allen key to remove the grub screw from the blade.

its a philips screw driver to remove the clamp from the motor

pull off the 2 spades

motor is out – reverse to rebuild.

what i also did temporary was strip it down and bend the motor axel with pliers using a flat plate and my eye to judge where it was out and it worked fine – but id already ordered the spare so changed it and kept the other.

phone calfree they will help.

Dai
    Free Member

You could always build your own 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

your thermometers too close to the stove 😉

nice work on the homebrew – what did taht cost ? i need another shortly and i like those copper heatsinks – go better with the room than the brass

Aidy
    Free Member

nice use of a £30ish cpu cooler and selling it for £155

Yeah, it does seem rather excessive. I wonder how many he sells.

Built something pretty similar for sub-£30. (to be fair tho’, I’ve not fired up the stove yet to see how well it works).

spooky_b329

Apparently you should be careful not to knock it off the stove, they are heavy enough to chip the hearth!

Dai
    Free Member

your thermometers too close to the stove

nice work on the homebrew – what did taht cost ? i need another shortly and i like those copper heatsinks – go better with the room than the brass

The blade was the most expensive bit. £15 ish for an Ecofan 810 one. TEC and motor cheap from eBay. Secondhand heat sink also from eBay as well, and a bit of ally box I had lying around. Plus a bit of time and ingenuity to get things how I wanted.

I bought extra bits to make a few for presents but Ecofan wouldn’t sell me any more blades 🙁 still trying to source an alternative.

I’ll move the thermometer up as high as it’ll go, cheers 😉

kcal

trail_rat, thanks, would be good to have silent running again.
    after a bit of a house invasion this weekend I’ll look into it..

cheers!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Might be wrong but im fair sure that blades pitch is wrong to move air in the right direction – and it not as simple as fitting it backwards to the motor

Dai
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s been the problem, finding one with the right pitch and a good surface area to the blade so it will move a good amount of air at low RPM. Currently trying to source an Ecofan one from overseas as they’re made for the job.

kcal

cheers trail_rat, I gave them a call this morning. since the fan is going ‘clack clack’ at low speeds, then running silent at working speed, it is most likely the motor but they couldn’t rule out the blades, so I’m not sure now! at least I know what kind of motor is needed if I were to get that.

Tried to remove the blades to give them (and the spindle) a check but can’t get an allen key to fit – not 1.5mm (too small) and not 2mm (too big) so I assume 1.75mm or something esoteric – did you get yours off with their allen key or one of your own?

Callum

trail_rat
    Free Member

i used one of my own cant remember which – but i am a tool klepto – have you tried imperials ?

also – for the blades to be clacking they would have to be hitting something – rotate blades by hand and see what if anything they hit. if nothing it can only be the motor- youll be surprised at how simple these things are when you get it apart.

kcal

blades have good clearance so a sanity check would say it’s /not/ the blades (I didn’t think so but)

Not sure I have imperial hex keys but I’ll have another look. cheers. plenty other things are higher priority but would be satisfying to get it running right.

richmars

I made one, but the solder on the cheap TEC melted!

kcal

prompt email back from Calfire.

basically as you said t_r; 1/16″ allen key
    Canadians, eh?

also good tips on removal of blade, problem tracking, and re-fitting again. Very helpful.

househusband

I’m hoping to have a working one going doe circa £20 soon. Had a heatsink knocking around from an old PC and have bought a Zalman PC cooler with fan for £15 – just waiting for the £4 Peltier module to arrive. The fan with the Zalman cooler doesn’t shift as much air as is probably needed but I’ve got the cooler now so can just upgrade the motor and fan.

righog
    Free Member

Looks like an interesting project, to build one. Found this if anyone is interested. Bit American but explains what you need and the principle behind them.

Instructables Stove Fan

ecofansrule
    Free Member

I came across your blog while doing a bit of surfing and feel the need to comment on some of the last posts. We at Calfire are the UK distributors for Ecofans so all of the legitimate Ecofans sold over here come through us. We look after our customers extremely well but do not hold and supply spare parts to make life easy for anyone who wants to make their own stove fan. The Valiant Stove Fan is made in China by a company who copied the design of the old 800 style Ecofan. Moreover the Valiant Stove Fan and all other Chinese imports do not meet CE approval despite what is printed on the boxes or the importers may say. Current models 810 UltrAir and 812 AirMax produce much better air movement at all temperatures than the older models they replaced. Yes they are more expensive than the Chinese old style copy fans but if it wasn’t for Caframo and their design team, there would be no TEG Module Powered Stove Fans!

flowerpower
    Free Member

Since this thread has been resurected I thought that I would add my thoughts…

I have both fans – the Valiant and the Caframo eco fan. I initially purchased an Eco fan, and was so impressed that I decided to buy another for my second stove, but tried the cheaper Valiant version.

So for a direct comparison (only based on one of each – so may not be true to type)…

Caframo Eco Fan – Probably the better looking fan (in my mind), neater with smaller blades. This fan definitely starts moving at lower temperatures than the Valient fan, and at any given heat appears to have a faster rotation speed. It certainly feels to move more air than the Valiant – but I am unable to quantify that. The only down side is a slight noise – not enough to annoy, but if you are close you can hear a faint ‘whizz’!

Valiant – Slightly more ‘clumpy’ looking, with larger, curved blades (I guess there is some balance between rotation speed / blade size). It is slower to get moving, but when it does it is totally silent. It does exactly as you would expect and certainly makes a difference to the heat distribution within a room, but doesn’t seem to have quite as much ‘power’ as the ecofan.

So in summary – both fans work and would seem to make a significant difference to the heat distribution in a room – I am very pleased with both. The more expensive Ecofan (think I paid about £90) moves more air more efficiently, however in my opinion the cheaper (£50 ish) Valiant also works well. I use the Ecofan in a large sitting / living room and if the doors are open find that it moves air throughout the room and into the hall. The Valiant is in a smaller ‘snug’ and evens out temperatures nicely within that room, although there is less movement into the hall (this is also a smaller stove).

Not sure if that helps at all. If you don’t have a fan at all yet – then get one they are great.

dashed
    Free Member

ecofansrule – Member
    We look after our customers extremely well but do not hold and supply spare parts to make life easy for anyone who wants to make their own stove fan.

Glad this has been resurrected – was just about to shop for a one this morning and entirely because of that post, my money is now going to Valiant.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You have really strange morals dashed.

You may also want to check valiant spares exist in any dimension….

Calframo/calfree do help legitimate owners repair their fans – i have done it. They will not sell you parts en masse to knock out copys to protec their investment and design.

Mark

Why on earth would anyone expect any company to sell the components separately to enable anyone to buy and build their own version of the product they are trying to sell?
    Airfix perhaps but really? Would you expect to be able to call up Dyson and buy all the bits you need to build your own?

dashed
    Free Member

It was the tone of the post I didn’t like – self promotion and cheap slagging of the opposition.

I can see their point about spares but do they really have such an issue with people building their own? C’mon, how many people other than a few nerds on STW buy a ecofan blade and then build their own. Must run into a least single digits every year 🙄 Hardly gonna put them out of business…

scandalous
    Free Member

how much difference to room temp will a fan make?

had a stove fitted recently and its lush but still notice that with very high ceilings here the warm air does sit high above your head!

ski
    Free Member

scandalous – Member

how much difference to room temp will a fan make?

had a stove fitted recently and its lush but still notice that with very high ceilings here the warm air does sit high above your head!

With the fan going, you will notice a more even heat around your room, so you get less of a hot spot just in front of your stove.

The fan will not blast you with hot air if that’s what you are looking for, but will make the room feel more evenly heated, which imho makes the room feel warmer.

See the link here for an example of how it disperses the heat:

http://www.ecofan.co.uk/woodstove-ecofans.html

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Stove fans; Ecofan, Valiant etc’ is closed to new replies.