Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Storing food when backpacking
  • ericemel
    Free Member

Just curious if anyone has any genius ideas/bits of kit that I haven’t thought of.

Basically I am bored of my regular camping food – pasta and packet meatballs etc – it all pretty good but I decided I need steaks.

Any idea of the best way to store steaks and such over a weekend without incurring too much weight?

IanMunro
    Free Member
    trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ericemel
    Free Member

Cheers Ian, but I am getting bored of my usual stuff which includes jerky which I make.

Really after a good way of storing some steaks and bacon 🙂

I guess freeze it and wrap in foli?

joao3v16
    Free Member

suspend large food parcels from a helium balloon tied to your backpack. you don’t feel the weight then.

ericemel
    Free Member

Good call on the vac pac sealing! I may just get presealed steak 🙂

joao – is that a simlair method to filling innertubes with He?

br
    Free Member

For the first night I use to ‘treat’ myself to a large tin of something, eg pie filling, so only had to carry it for one day.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I used to work in a posh pub, and what they did was take stew, or whatever, vac pac it in plastic, and then drop the bag in boiling water, the theory being it boils in it’s own juices, making it more tender. I wasn’t convined, but it seemed to work. The other advantage being no washing up, and you get to make all the food yourself, so no addatives or preservatives.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Freeze it, wrap it n foil and somethinglike you sleeping bag. Should be ok for a day or two. Maybe modern H&S people may whinge but it won’t kill you and will taste nice.

ericemel
    Free Member

trailofdestruction – that pretty much the same as the brand I use at the moment

http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk

it is actually bloody lovely

mustard
    Free Member

Cook it, cool/rest it, vac-pac it, chill it, carry it, boil-in-the-bag it? Sounds like a good plan to me!

d45yth
    Free Member

Could you put it in a soup flask?

gusamc
    Free Member

probably not applicable in your case, but we used to take a waterproof bag and leave it with a brick in it (*and food/drinks etc) in a stream etc (*tied to something)

seosamh77
    Free Member

+

+

pretty much all ye need for camping, you can improvise a better barbeque if you use your imagination!

IanMunro
    Free Member

trailofdestruction – that pretty much the same as the brand I use at the moment

http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk

it is actually bloody lovely

Oh, those look good! Do you know what sort of shelf life do they have?

ericemel
    Free Member

About 6 months, you can get them in sainsburys and waitrose

ericemel
    Free Member

Gusamc, good tip cheers

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Storing food when backpacking’ is closed to new replies.