Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Storing bike vertically in garage
  • rig1
    Free Member

Hi there,

Need to store bikes in garage and wondered if its good idea to hang bikes vertically from their front wheel. I am worried that with the fork slightly inverted I may lose oil from the seals or damage them in some other way?

Any help appreciated.

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you loose oil your seals are fubbarred anyway so it will let you know
    I use these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10230
    should not damage them iirc they used to suggest storing upside down to let the oil get to the top seals anyway

trail_rat
    Free Member

be more worried about pulling the roof of your garage down than damaging the bike 😀

rig1
    Free Member

ok thanks. like you say, make sure the hooks are well fixed!!

chickenslippers
    Free Member

Problem comes when you store your bike upside down to lube the seals then read in your manual some brakes don’t like to be stored upside down, we cant win 8O.

I totally understand your need for more room, the wife say’s I don’t need that many bikes, I don’t her she doen’t need that many shoes or hand bags, we agree to disagree.

steveh

Fox forks are supposed to be stored upside down (and this is close to that) to keep the foam rings lubed. It definitely won’t do any forks any harm at all though.
    I recommend Wilkinsons for hooks, about £1.50 for two when i bought them last year. Rubber coated and ideal for hooking rims on to.

crankbreaker

Not sure about the forks but I’ve stored a couple of bikes vertically and found that if they are not used a lot (e.g. over the Winter or just after a move to London!) the brakes seized up on the front when I got them down. They settled down once I put them horizontal but not so good if you want to pick up your bike and go.

jonb
    Free Member

I store all my bike vertical. One I have to hang by the back wheel as the elixirs go spongy the other way round. Shimano brakes have no issues.

Never had any other problems.

Milky
    Free Member

My bike lives in a cupboard stood on it’s back wheel. Never had any bother.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

my bike is stored back-wheel down. the avid juicy threes are fine but the 2004 fox float stanctions have become a rather oily affair since i started doing this. i recall that they recommend you store them upside once in a while to lube the seals, not every time! still work fine as far as i can tell, mind…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Storing bike vertically in garage’ is closed to new replies.