Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Storing 4 bikes in the Garage
  • ericemel
    Free Member

I am looking at various ways of hanging 4 bikes in the garage – can anyone recommend a solution?

Prices seem to vary from £20 to £200+

scotroutes

Four hooks screwed into the wall or a batten. Hang bikes by front/rear wheel alternately. Mount high enough and you’ll have floorspace below for storage too.

ericemel
    Free Member

Something like this looks like it would work and is so simple….
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bbb-parking-hook-storage-hook-btl26/rp-prod60754

But the cheap price scares me!

njee20
    Free Member

They’ll work just fine.

These are also good, and slightly more substantial.

wwaswas

I got 4 hooks for a tenner from B&Q – they have threaded ends that screw into the rafters.

Some ground anchors screwed into the wall at the right height to lock the bikes to are good as well.

tandemonium
    Free Member

I made one of these for 4 bikes, 2 from one side, 2 from the other, rather than 4 side by side. Made to measure, easy to get bikes in & out, only tyre contact, so no damage risk. Made using waste pipe & fittings from Wickes.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Apartment-PVC-Bike-Rack/

allthepies
    Free Member

I took an old piece of skirting board, fitted four hooks to it and placed it ontop of the garage roof rafters close to a wall. Cost about £10 🙂

tandemonium
    Free Member

Apologies, just noticed you asked for ways of ‘hanging’ bikes.

Anyway, how about this for inspiration?

I like number 5 & 13….!

http://www.brit.co/bike-racks/

Or plain & simple hooks….

http://www.instructables.com/id/simple-bike-storage-rack-for-many-bikes-in-small-a/

iain1775
    Free Member

plastic covered hooks 2 for £1 Asda

Had 5 bikes hanging this way just fine for 18 months

ericemel
    Free Member

Cheers guys! Simple hooks it is 🙂

smurf
    Free Member

I couldn’t wall hang mine due to wall mounted cupboards so I went for a few Willworx Superstands.

There is a review here – http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/bike-storage-stand-face-off/

I store mine in a staggered pattern down the wall. I like them because you can also use them for quick maintenance, washing, as a quick “outside the back door before I nip out again” storage, in the car, at the trail centre holding the bike up before I ride storage (better than it falling over and dinging the car).

Sundayjumper

I’ve been using THESE to hang by the wheel and THESE to hang by the saddle.

richmtb

I’ve just bought these.

Price is for two, so a bit of a bargain

ThePinkster

Not actually got one but I’ve been tempted by one of these 5 bike racks for a while.

cubist
    Free Member

Is hanging from the front wheel problematic for the forks?

cr500dom
    Free Member

I have some of these, mounted on 45 deg angle blocks to keep the bikes tighter to the wall.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delta-Leonardo-Mount-Mounted-Silver/dp/B000ACAM06/ref=fallbacksessionReftagsg_20?ie=UTF8&refRID=02CTX8VK23W4845VA4A2

work really well

AlexSimon

After many experiments, I decided that I didn’t like how far vertically hanging bikes come in to the space.
    For me and my shed space, I’m much happier with having 2 main bikes on the floor leant against the wall and each other.
    Then 2 bikes on a rack like this above the other two:

I’ve got a box of six hooks (only one used) I keep meaning to get rid of.

Con: One bike is behind another.
    Pro: Less space used overall. Whole family can lift bikes up easier.

ThePinkster

They don’t have to be hung from the front wheel, do they?

bentudder

It can be – but it depends on the fork. I had a couple op pairs of Rebas back in the day. There was a little rubber gasket under the Gate knob (from memory) which wasn’t really up to the job, and the damper used to leak a tiny amount of oil when the bike was stored vertically in my shed. I ended up getting both pairs serviced by TF Tuned – they were aware of this problem and replaced the gaskets on any Reba they had in for service as a matter of course.

Never had this problem with the Marzocchis I had at the same time, nor Rebas or Revelations I’ve owned since.
    I seem to remember one piece of advice was to cycle the shocks (AKA carpet test) when you got them down.
    Also – in theory – storing them like this allowed oil to flow back towards the seals, lubricating the foam washers and keeping everything a bit better lubed.

Also a while back: DH bikes with (from memory) Hope Open Pro brakes had to go on ski lifts in the alps hung from the rear wheel, so as not to introduce air into the system when everything was heated up from a long run with lots of braking. Seem to remember it particularly affected the Giant ATX 1 for some reason.

scotroutes

Not IME. Mine have hung like that for years with no problems. It’s also fairly standard practice in many bike shops.

legend
    Free Member

Forks put up with far higher forces when riding than they do hanging from a hook – tis grand

birdage

Tried all sorts of hooks but have found leaning the bikes against each other in pairs, front to back, takes up less space and means I can have shelves and storage above them. Depends on handle bars, position of pedals etc.

smurf
    Free Member

I’m with birdage on this one – that’s how I’ve set my up using the stands I mentioned above. The stands let you pull out individual bikes more easily and saves on scrapes.

I found having the bikes stick out a long way wasn’t a good use of space

stumpy01

AlexSimon – Member
    After many experiments, I decided that I didn’t like how far vertically hanging bikes come in to the space.
    For me and my shed space, I’m much happier with having 2 main bikes on the floor leant against the wall and each other.

Currently got all my bikes hanging by the front wheel vertically in the garage. They are angled at 45 deg. to take up less space, but they still stick out a long way.
    Bit reluctant to re-do it, but I am thinking that a long railed hook on the wall for two bikes, plus the other two underneath just leaning against each other might be a better idea….

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Storing 4 bikes in the Garage’ is closed to new replies.