• This topic has 32 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Stop the world – It has snowed!
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Not sure if any of you have heard but it has snowed!

We even have some here in Southampton. Can you imagine the glee of all the mums on the school run finally having the excuse to drive their 4x4s followed by the disappointment of finding out that school is closed.

jon1973
    Free Member

There are a few around here who may finally justify having the snorkel fitted to their 4×4 if they need to cross a river in order to by pass a snow blocked road.

philconsequence
    Free Member

anyone up for petitioning the government to pass a law stating all women with 4X4s must go and drive along the outside lanes of dual carriage ways and motorways to help the grit do its job thus easing congestion for the rest of the cars?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Well the wife told me to park my 4×4 pick up near the top of the hill to help if anyone gets into difficulties. First time I have ever needed 4 wheel drive and it still slithered around and was basically rubbish. I guess rubbish tyres don’t help.

tron
    Free Member

Correction:

“Stop the world – it has snowed in the south!”

I can’t work out how the kind of snowfall that allows people to carry on as usual around here seems to stop London etc. almost instantly.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I can’t work out how the kind of snowfall that allows people to carry on as usual around here seems to stop London etc. almost instantly.

Largely because you’ve got well over 6 million people in London and an infrastructure that barely keeps up with demand when you haven’t got half a metre of snow.

Besides, the rest of the country’s ‘as usual’ is quite a different world to London’s ‘as usual’. London in the snow probably works at about the same rate as the rest of the country does when it’s fine and sunny.

BTW I don’t live in London so it’s not like I’m biassed.

warton
    Free Member

“half a metre of snow”

Yeah right. Kielder had deepest snow in the UK yesterday at 14 inches, obviously drifting deeper in places in exposed places. London will not have 50 cms of snowfall.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Plymouth finally had about 5mm of snow overnight. My kids were well giddy on the way to school. No sideways quashquais on the way though. It is also far less cold today with dusting of snow than it has been the not-snowing last 5 mornings. I suppose that’s ther way isn’t it?

IanMunro
    Free Member

And in other news, England’s world cup bid hasn’t been mentioned for 5 minutes.

midlifecrashes

From Germany, das Bild:

oldgit
    Free Member

I’d like to have seen my mate sliding down an icy road on his butt, followed by his bike and a large sideways Range Rover.

mattbee

Portsdown Hill above Portsmouth at about 1am, midway from towing all 12 of my customer’s cars out of site back on to a public road. Had to admit defeat after about 5 cars and use my 90 and my bud’s Delica together as a sort of 8wd tow truck. Problem was lots of fresh snow on top of a little bit of ice/compacted snow. Was a long night!

avdave2

So yesterday began at 3am with a text from BA to say my flight from Gatwick to Venice was cancelled, please call this number or check the website. So sit down with a cup of tea and call number to be told they don’t answer calls before 8:30 am so go to website and manage my booking. That helpfully tells me my flight is cancelled with no option to rebook.
    So now I call the travel agents 24 HR hotline and get myself booked on the next flight. Call cab company to put back pick up. Then I get a call from the cab company to say they are having problems getting cars back from Heathrow so suggest I call another more local company. So I do that and were all good and then BA’s website tells me the second flight is cancelled.
    So back to travel agent and a long wait on the phone and then I’m on the 3rd and final flight of the day. Call cab firm and put them back.
    Shortly after this Gatwick is closed for the day. So online and looking for flights from Heathrow and on to travel agent for another long wait on the phone. So now I have a KLM to Amsterdam and then another KLM to Venice. So back to cab firm 2 who now can’t do Heathrow. So back to Cab firm 1 who say we can do it now as we have cars getting back.
    11:30 a call from cab firm 2 to say the driver who was going to collect me is held up and not going to make it in time. Right check trains, delays and cancellations to Victoria but some trains are running. So i get a lift to the station and get a ticket and manage to get on a delayed train which is running if a little slowly. So I get to Victoria, meanwhile travel agent is also booking me on a later KLM, no time to get the underground so I go to the cab rank. No queue but it takes a while to find one that will take a card. So off we go and luckily the traffic is quite light. I’m phoning in updates to the office so they can let the agent know if they need to confirm and pay for the later flight.
    Well arrive at T4 in time for the earlier flight but go to check in and although I’m in the system no e ticket no. has been issued so I have to go and join another queue at the service desk get the no. allocated and get back in the check in queue. My suitcase goes on the belt 35 minutes before take off, 5 minutes before check in closes. I go through security and walk straifgt to the plane and get on.
    2 hours at Amsterdam and then finally got to the hotel in Venice at 11pm.

And the show is going on, despite having presenters and delegates all over Europe. So lot’s of changes of order and making it up as we go along. Must go now as we’re about to have another unplanned change and I’m not sure we have any slides for him – well we found something for him to present – should be enough to give the hotel time to get lunch ready early.

khani
    Free Member

Since it started snowing all my missus has done is look through the window and moan and shiver. If it gets any worse I’ll have to let her in!

Igmc 😆

jon1973
    Free Member

😆

Drac

Yeah right. Kielder had deepest snow in the UK yesterday at 14 inches, obviously drifting deeper in places in exposed places. London will not have 50 cms of snowfall.

Does it?

That’s interesting as we had over a foot last Friday and about 2 feet by Sunday, it’s started compacting down a bit now but in the open areas still about 2 feet. Rothbury as almost 3 feet by all accounts.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Drac, warton is talking rubbish!

I live in souf ladaahn and there was over 10″ (3 point average!) in my area last night

it was 14″ deep this morning and is still snowing so 50cm is a possibility!

I still made it the 5 miles to work though. It always surprises me what little effort people make getting to work when it snow, lazy gits.

jon1973
    Free Member

I still made it the 5 miles to work though. It always surprises me what little effort people make getting to work when it snow, lazy gits.

I enjoyed a very nice cross-country commute on my bike today. I think I’ve been the only one in work glad to see a bit of snow.

DezB
    Free Member

January was good practice. My company just emailed everyone: Site closed, work from home.
    Easy.
    Can’t say they get much right, but this, they have.

Will John Lewis be able to come and remove my TV tomorrow though 🙁

soma_rich
    Free Member

Sea was frozen in Hythe!

I was in South Yorkshire yesterday, and I’m back in ‘the South’ today. I can exclusively reveal that the proper South copes exactly as badly with snow as those bits of the country that are ‘just carrying on as usual’.

DT78
    Free Member

Well I walked into work and the snow was well over my shoes in southampton so a good 12″‘s I;d say.

Only cars I saw that were having trouble on the roads were a convertable BMW & Merc, driven by attractive blondes who were just sat there spinnng their rear wheels nicely polishing the surface to a slippery sheen…

4 out of 17 of my team made it in. What happens if it snows for the rest of the week or even montH?

I wish my collarbone was fixed, I’d be out round my local woods this afternoon. I love this weather.

DezB
    Free Member

Viz top tip of the day:

WORKING FROM HOME? Make it feel more like the office by leering at your wife and taking an hour to do a poo.
    😀

IdleJon

geetee1972 – Member

Largely because you’ve got well over 6 million people in London and an infrastructure that barely keeps up with demand when you haven’t got half a metre of snow.

From my experience of living in London in the snow (1991 when a whole inch of snow stopped everything for a whole day) I’d say that the problem may be that everybody sprints to the local Waitrose to stock up on bottled water…

bigyinn
    Free Member

My street this morning. 😯

Was massively delayed getting to work this morning, took at least 15mins, as opposed to 10mins. 😛

Its a damn disgrace!

takisawa2

I must have some kind of metereological vortexual vaccumm abyss follow me around.
    Dont think I’ve ever known more than 6″ of snow.
    Lichfield is shite for weather. We never get extremes of weather.

🙁

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Dunfermline this morning:

15inches by stuartie_c, on Flickr

Bit of a lazy sample – down to the bins with the ruler. I’ll need to do a multi-point average. There’s more on the way too!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Lichfield is shite for weather. We never get extremes of weather.

Fixed that for you.

ac505
    Free Member

^^^^^^ funny!

Taff
    Free Member

enjoying the roads in and around Pompey at the moment

DezB
    Free Member

enjoying the roads in and around Pompey at the moment

that has to be a first!

scaredypants

dez – I assume he meant “out of”

that’s what I’m about to do 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

s’the only way 🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Stop the world – It has snowed!’ is closed to new replies.