• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by cb.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stop me electrocuting myself….please.
  • cb

I have an old Neff oven. Element is fecked. New one on the way but only has the two electrical connectors – earth connector no longer on the new elements. That leaves me with two earth wires (connected by a ‘spade’ type fixing) hanging loose.

Various suggestions on tinterweb including just taping the earth up safely away from the live and fan OR attaching a new ring type connector and looping that around one of the screws fixing the element to the oven.

Any ideas? I’m a bit of a fool when it comes to electrics.

And yes I am prepared to call a sparky should I need to but I’m pretty sure a simple solution is out there…

Thanks

lipseal
    Free Member

Pics please.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Armchair sparky advice: second suggestion sounds reasonable but isn’t the oven earthed elsewhere?

cb

lipseal – pics of the connections or of me juddering around the kitchen after turning it on!?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

We have a couple of spare elements for Fisher & Paykel fan oven in stock at home (after 2 had blown in 2 years) I queried why it didn’t have an earth tab like the originals and the supplier told us they didn’t have them any more, the oven was earthed, and just to tape the earth lead back out of the way to the cable.

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

The new element should come with fitting instructions. If it doesn’t come with an earth attachment, it should be a Class II fitting, and will have two concentric squares on it. If not, it is class I, and therefore needs to be earthed.

If I was doing the job, I’d be calling the technical support line at the manufacturer to get their correct advice. My *best guess* would be to secure the earth attachment to the part of the oven that surrounds the element. The oven should have good earth conductivity in all the exposed conductive parts. The oven should have a good earth as part of the electrical installation for the property. A sparky will check this at the time.

Note, the word ‘should’ is used specifically. Don’t assume it is true. If the oven is old and designed to have an earth on the element, it may still need one.

cb

@49er…Neff doesn’t do technical advice to Joe Public…I tried.

The element in question is this one –

http://www.espares.co.uk/part/cookers-and-hobs/p/1092/0/0/0/209572/universal-2300-watt-fan-o.html

So, around the screw attaching the element to the oven sounds reasonable?

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

Try ringing them and telling them that you are at a customer’s house. Have the oven model and element model ready. They will probably answer you then.

It sounds reasonable, I am not going to give you a direct answer. I wouldn’t want to without testing the earthing arrangements of the cooker. I guess you’ll understand why.

lipseal
    Free Member

cb you found me out damn your eyes!

Just fit it and wear these when you cooking..

burt
    Free Member

The two screws that hold it to the ovens metalwork will earth it so yes do it neatly with a round crimp to the screw that holds it on
    burt

saladdodger
    Free Member

There is a discussion currently running on the product page between people who have raised the same issue on there. There is also a helpful Youtube video showing how to install the part. However if you feel unsure about what you are doing we would urge you to contact an electrician as you are dealing with household electrics.

by eSparesToby – 15 January 2010

I guess this is the answer it is from the Q/A section from the bottom of the link you posted

cb

thanks saladd but the vid shows a like for like replacement rather than the unearthed scenario that I have come across. In fact it was the vid that encouraged me to try it myself in the first place!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stop me electrocuting myself….please.’ is closed to new replies.