Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Stooge or Superlight?
  • deejayen
    Free Member

Not necessarily between these two particular bikes. I was thinking I might pick up a used Stooge or Swift (rigid 29er) but just seen that I might be able to buy a well-used Santa Cruz Superlight (probably 26er) for similar money.

I’d like to do longish rides in the north of Scotland. It’ll be my first mountain bike. The rigid 29er would be less hassle to maintain, and I’m quite fond of the simple life, but not so keen on the potential to have my eyeballs rattled loose. Would a basic FS bike such as the Superlight make more sense on routes such as the Cairngorm Loop or other routes in that area?

bonesetter
    Free Member

For longish rides the 29″ wheels are a big win over 26

Mile munchers

zippykona

Superlight all day , every day.

superleggero
    Free Member

+1 for the Superlight. Makes for a very capable and comfortable all day ride and pretty bombproof mechanically – an advantage of the single pivot suspension design so should suit your needs well.

If you get one you’ll be very happy with it.

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks. I’m not in a desperate rush to buy, so I’ll keep my eyes open for a decent one. Hmmm I wonder what the 29er versions typically sell for…

zippykona

A fat bike sounds like it might tick a lot of your boxes.

vondally
    Free Member

Owned super lights in 26 format , great bike very capable but make sure you do not fall between sizes as they can be a tad short. 29er is good but better with a 120mm fork.

I own a half fat stooge, carbon fork and it is a blast, so good my other bikes have not been used since I got it earlier in the year. Only issue is the one size fits all but if are in the size range it is the bike I would have out of the two.

metalheart
    Free Member

A B+’d Stooge was used by the guy doing the Cairngorm Loop I met (whilst doing only the inner loop) in October, didn’t seem to hold him back much!

Sizing on both bikes are dodgy really 😆

Less to go wrong on a rigid for sure. Stooge would be my preference.

Have you though about a hard tail at all, you know, split the difference?

deejayen
    Free Member

I’m 6ft, and I believe that Mr Stooge is around that height, so the Stooge would be a good fit for me.

I did think about a fat bike the other day, but they’re probably more expensive, and I’m not sure about the weight (of the cheaper ones) or tyre availability.

vondally
    Free Member

I am 6 ft so gives you an idea…..half fat version, bit Slidey in the mud……but just a great ride, I started a thread about alterations as I think I need a layback seat to stop my knee hurting on rides over 3 hrs, but I have long term injury in my right knee, so more me than the bike.

deejayen
    Free Member

That looks great! Is it a Mk1 Stooge, or do you need the Mk2 (or that carbon fork) to be able to squeeze those tyres in?

Is the slidey in the mud characteristic simply due to your tyres, and are there alternatives available in that size?

My eyes are dim – is that a singlespeed with a chain, and if so what gear (in inches) do you run?

vondally
    Free Member

Was as but taken off for 1 X 10 30 tooth front, mark one model and it is on one fork. Rear tyre is a with 2.8 trailblazer, not sure what else is out there.

Currently with gravity dropper post and usually state

epicyclo

deejayen – Member
    …I’d like to do longish rides in the north of Scotland…

Definitely a 29er then, and if it is capable of taking plus size tyres it widens your scope for winter riding when some trails get soft.

faustus

Vondally – did you buy the frame/bike recently (this year)? It looks like my best mates bike that he sold, as it’s the same lovely colour. Looks damn fine.

vondally
    Free Member

Hi I did from a fellow in Wales, lovely person.

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks for all the details. It looks good – even when muddy!

The only thing is I’m now drifting from the Superlight back to the Stooge!

canopy
    Free Member

I absolutely love my 26er Superlight. Especially since putting a dropper and 2.3s on it.

They commonly go for approx 700 quid in top condition. Watch out for the old ones with the “industrial” looking swingarm being sold at over the odds.

mmm superlight… (yes mine)

Click for bigger

In “which mtb” or whatever my mate had on his coffee table last week its claimed a 29er superlight can be had new for £1200 quid, quite where I’m not sure

btw If it helps. my next bike bike will be the closest I can get to a Superlight in 650b format, with a slightly slacker geo. So 650b superlight, bantam, possible heckler. Salsa Horsethief caught my eye too, along with the Bird Aeris.

faustus

Vondally – yes, that’s the one, top guy indeed. Glad you’re enjoying the bike so much, always thought it looked brilliant especially with the fat front. Back to the OP I’d probably still prefer a 29er, nice though the super lights are.

UncleBob
    Free Member

Industrial swing-arm….
    No – sorry – that accolade can go only to the Orange Five 😀

vondally
    Free Member

Faustus please pass on my regards, really was great to deal with.

OP as a first bike you cannot go wrong with either BUT opening up the wheel size debate 29 ers are for me better than 26 ers, roll better more stable more confidence

A 29 er hardtail with front suspension maybe a better consideration.

adsh
    Free Member

I think my 29er HT is more comfortable on a long ride than my 100mm 26″ FS. The jarring from the front is less and the rear suspension doesn’t quite make up for it.

Something like a Spearfish would be perfect

canopy
    Free Member

spearfish might be good actually. forgot that.. i learned towards horsethief as i like a bit of everything.. i don’t know what the terrain the OP mentioned is like

No – sorry – that accolade can go only to the Orange Five 😀

😉 yeah I really can’t stand that.

tpbiker
    Free Member

there was a 29er superlight frame in large in the classifids yesterday for 300 quid.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Stooge or Superlight?’ is closed to new replies.