Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 1,481 total)
  • Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)
  • Mal-ec
    Free Member

Anyone found a cheap(er) source of Dually rims ?

bonesetter
    Free Member

mattjg – Member
    story to tell? (bones to set?)

He he. Knard totally washed out and put me on my back on a tiny piece of mud. The remains of a puddle on concrete. Scratched up the bar end, pedal end and rear mech grrr (bike unscathed 🙂 )

I did notice the Knard’s total lack of control/grip on other bits of mud too

Hope the Maxxis tyre is on time delivery wise

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Knard + mud = oh crap 😉 I have been wondering if modding the Kanrd would help, removing some of the knobs, anyway I never got around to it because, Real fat is the answer.

Been waiting for the Dirt Wizzard for a year! Come on Surly!!! The Maxxis Chronicle looks good, but doesn’t look like it’ll shed mud well, and the new Vee offering looks like only a 2.7” tyre, with the tread being only 2.5” wide, which is a bit of a head scratcher?

mattjg
    Free Member

I have been wondering why so many people are going fat front when the tyre choice is basically restricted to a single large slick.

ska-49
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the Maxxis Chronicle.
    Currently have a Spec Purgatory 2.3, which I’m rather impressed with.

mattjg
    Free Member

likewise on my N9, Purgatory Control 2.3 for dry home rides, Butcher Control for home wet or when off to rocky places. The profile is OK on 21mm rims too (HDs were too bulbous IMO).

bonesetter
    Free Member

There’s the 3″ Bontrager Chupacabra coming too

john_l
    Free Member

Doesn’t look as if it’ll be much better than the Knard when the mud comes.

Cheezpleez

Oh, I dunno. That looks like it has much bigger knobbles than a Knard.

martinh
    Free Member

It’s on their website http://store.trekbikes.com/product/bontrager+chupacabra+tire.do#

Looks like a similar pattern to the Knard with slightly taller knobblies

eddie11
    Free Member

Hmmmm 120 dollars? Doesn’t look good for uk pricing….

sillyoldman

The 29-4 is listed as being $75.00 though and retails here for £39.99, so maybe around £65/70?

Duffer
    Free Member

[Thread divert]

Ska, what’s the arrangement on your freehub? It looks like you’ve got some funny spacer on there. Perhaps i’m seeing things…

[/Thread divert]

ska-49
    Free Member

^^ Running the Gusset SS kit. Setting up SS was very easy- spacing was perfect first time.

Fanboy apparel! Who’s getting one?

On a side note, my dad saw the bike and thought I bought my mum a new dutch style town bike 😆

Edit: I’ve just taken the freehub off and filled it with grease. The proII has been completely silenced! Wonder how long this will last.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Looks like it might shed mud well, no weight on the website.
    http://store.trekbikes.com/product/bontrager+chupacabra+tire/ViewLarger.do?sortby=ourPicks

bonesetter
    Free Member

Quick (slightly) OT question:

I’m going to a wider 50mm rim up front (maybe rear too) – so would I need a Rabbit Hole (or possibly Dually)

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/surly-rabbit-hole-29er-50mm-rim-3712-p.asp

And what else do I need for tubeless running? Tape etc

Cheers

Mal-ec
    Free Member

I’ve been running a rabbit hole rear and am looking to scale down to a Dually. I set em up tubeless with Gorrilla tape, nae problems so far.

T shirts look great 🙂

singlespeedstu

One wrap of Gorrilla tape and a valve stem.
    Fit the tyre with a tube first.
    Then remove the tube without breaking the bead on one side.
    Fit your valve and put the wheel so that the open bead is hanging down and bang it with the compressor.
    Sorted.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks

Couldn’t quite remember everything you said yesterday Stu. Cheers

T’s do look good

takisawa2

Mal-ec… If your looking to liberate that Rabbit Hole rim I could provide a safe haven… 😉

mattjg
    Free Member

to reiterate re sizing I rode Cheezpleez’ Stooge for a couple of miles today, up along and down, I’m just under 5’8″, the fit was fine with a short stem and wide bars (which is how I like anyway).

I don’t think medium-sized riders need worry this is a bike for the tall. I’d happily buy one and if I can get over my preference for front boing, perhaps I will.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Matt. I wasn’t looking for a rigid bike, but have been really impressed with what it can handle without beating me up. I’ve had problems with riding rigid in the past. Nowt with this.

Cheers Takisawa, will give you a shout when I get Duallied up.

mattjg
    Free Member

Interesting, it’s a nice ride overall for sure, a little softer than my Nimble 9.

takisawa2

Really looking forward to fondling one of these at SSUK.
    Keen to see if it’s as comfy as my SIR.9

bonesetter
    Free Member

I owned a SIR 9 for some time. Very nice feel to it indeed

A very different bike to the Stooge however. As comfortable? Easily. And the crazy way Stooge handles gives it the much bigger edge

mattjg
    Free Member

Stooge is much more a trail bike than the SIR9.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

As far as build quality and looks go…believe the hype!

glasgowdave

I bit the bullet and ordered a frame, thinking I could build it up pretty cheaply with the parts I have.

I then realised that I don’t have a set of 29er wheels.

Any recommendations for a suitable wheelset?

GD

julioflo
    Free Member

Jonestown – Any clues as to what is coming next from you? Wide sweepy bars? Slack short fatty?

Cheezpleez

Rode mine with a Knard up front for the first time last night. Wow! Super comfy and tons of grip and 29+ seems to be a perfect partner for the Stooge.

I was riding quite gingerly, having read everyone’s warnings about Knards in mud but it outperformed other people’s ‘normal’ tyres on off-camber damp chalk and roots. I did get to see the Knard’s limitations though. They really don’t like wet mud.

I’m running it on a Crest until I get it together to build up something wider. No problems as yet at approx 15 psi.

I love this bike. 😆

jonestown
    Free Member

julioflow, there are a few things that i keep thinking about, in no particular order – a handlebar for the Stooge, because the perfect bar doesn’t exist yet, 650+, a radical cyclocross/touring bike. Not feeling the urge for the fatbike, i think i’d be lost in an ocean of them. All i need to do now is make some money so i can make some of these ideas a reality 🙂

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Not a full 29+ bike then ?! not many of those around?

Gotama
    Free Member

Surely a fork which could take a fat but not lose any of the elements you’ve designed into your existing fork must be in there? Knards are fine, as is 29 plus, but for going fast on trails a Surly Bud really is remarkable, even compared to the four inch floater.

Cheezpleez

Tell me more about bars. Are you, by any chance, thinking wide-ish (720+) and sweepy, with a bit of twang (but not too much)?

jonestown
    Free Member

that’s exactly what i was thinking of

spectabilis
    Free Member

I’m currently running On-One OG’s

On-One“Dimensions are a 25degree bend, 685mm end to end, which mean they feel like a 720mm wide conventional riser bar.”

I feel these suit the bike rather well but i’d like to try something with slightly less back sweep .

bonesetter
    Free Member

Gotama – Member
    Surely a fork which could take a fat but not lose any of the elements you’ve designed into your existing fork must be in there? Knards are fine, as is 29 plus, but for going fast on trails a Surly Bud really is remarkable, even compared to the four inch floater.

+1

This is perhaps something which should have been there from the start – so folks have the choice

singlespeedstu

bonesetter – Member
    Gotama – Member
    +1

This is perhaps something which should have been there from the start – so folks have the choice

If only someone had mentioned that back on page 2. 😆

biff

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 1,481 total)

The topic ‘Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)’ is closed to new replies.