Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • Stones at Glastonbury
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

😆

theotherjonv

Oh, cheer up you lot.

It’s Mumford and Sons in a minute. Then you can get properly cross.

somafunk

Mumford & Sons were cracking, brill encores and then the finale which was a touch of class indeed. Everyone on stage had massive grins so they were obviously loving it, as were the crowd.

toppers3933
    Free Member

up to now not been a fan of mumfords but i thought they were great and their finale was brill. really enjoyed it.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Dinosaur Jr were great, J Mascis hasn’t lost it whatever ‘it’ ever was.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

bravohotel8er – Member

There’s a good chance that he’s no idea where it is, though…. 😉
    Bug was always a favorite.

Harry_the_Spider

Does the guy from Bumford & Sons do any other accents?

Will next year’s set be done with a hint of Welsh or perhaps fake Pakistani?

emsz
    Free Member

Ha ha I knew you lot wouldn’t be able to resist…

So, the Stones sounded pretty good actually for a bunch of old geezers, and the crowd ( well the bits I was near) were having a good time….but. It did sound a bit , well, bland really, they’ve nothing new, all the songs they must have played about a million times, and at the next concert they do I’ll bet they play the same songs in the same order with the same “ad libs” were they tried to get the audience to go “woo woo” ( bit awkward that…) compared to Mumford last night who were clearly nervous, they crowd really warmed to them, they put their hearts and souls into it, and they did an amazing set.

Right, that’s me, I’m off for a shower, cos I smell of something, and it ain’t roses LOL

wwaswas

Watched them on iPlayer with my 11 year old daughter yesterday. Don’t think she’s really heard them before so it was all new to her.

“He sounds so ordinary when he speaks. And then he starts singing!”

For a bunch of blokes only 5 years younger than her grandad to impress her I think they’re still doing pretty well 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Amazing bands out there at the moment with jaw dropping sets, Muse for example

I’ve seen Muse at Glastonbury. That’s two hours of my life I’ll never get back.

Stones seemed just about ok on TV, but the crowd looked like they were enjoying themselves, which is what matters.

edlong
    Free Member

Primal Scream are notoriously erratic live – catch them on a good night and they’re electrifying, catch them on a bad night and they’re shambolic. It seems that it wasn’t a good night for them this year at Glasto.

See also: Stone Roses

BoardinBob

the XX were awesome last night

DezB
    Free Member

bravohotel8er – Member

Saw them on a warm-up gig the night before. Brilliant. (Freak Scene was cut very short though!) Great to hear the original line-up – Lou Barlow is a great bass player.

freeagent
    Free Member

I often think live music, especially when taken from huge outdoor venues doesn’t transfer very well to the small screen. I’ve watched a couple of gigs on TV which I actually went to, and it is completely different.

As for the Stones being passed it – yep, they probably are – but re-wind a year to Paul McCartney’s woeful performance at the Olympics, and Elton John at the Queens Jubilee concert and you’ll see that the Stones are not alone.

To be fair there are a lot of ‘modern bands’ who can be rubbish live (Muse spring to mind) and a few ‘old boys’ (Springsteen) who are still amazing…
    I guess having the Stones as headliners was always about more than just how well they can still do it…

Dolcered

Haven’t been to Glastonbury since 2009, had a great time but some acts were disappointing. Springsteen in particular, at a festival i don’t want to hear your new stuff, “outlaw pete” can get te. Neil Young was superb that year.

From the little i’ve seen on tv this year, i’ll be checking out alabama shakes and daughter.

I didnt rate Primal Scream at gig on the green a fortnight a go. However when i saw them doing screamadelica i was impressed. They can all have an off day.

klumpy
    Free Member

a sad indictment on the music scene.

When I think of indicting the music scene I think of glorification of the pursuit of wealth, often through crime. Pop videos objectifying women – even when the artist IS a woman. Studio generated “bands” built up simply to be discarded. Looks over talent, and the autotuning of vocals, even when recording! Permanently sunglassed billionaires lecturing their fans on poverty and the evils of wealth.

Not a garage band done good performing for success filled decades and still going strong.

emsz
    Free Member

Alabama shakes were amazing!! Maybe my highlight act, Brittany’s voice is just so cool.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Managed 20 minutes or so of the Stones on the Beeb. I was impressed with how tight they played and fair play to Jagger he held a tune better than most young kids are able to whilst dancing around a stage. The problem is they just sound boring. They have a knack of taking all the soul out of music. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they all died years ago and they just put some robots on stage now, playing by numbers.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So, the Stones sounded pretty good actually for a bunch of old geezers, and the crowd ( well the bits I was near) were having a good time

True to of Sir Brucie Forsyth apparently, is that not so ?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

So, what “classic” act is left to put on the stage for the Saturday-night nostalgia-fest? They’ve either all done it (McCartney, Bowie, The Who, The Strolling Bones) or they’re dead.

Led Zep? If Robert can be persuaded and Jimmy can still stand up. Can’t think of anybody else.

Prince, maybe.

Please not Elton John.

emsz
    Free Member

Ernie, didn’t see him, couple of my friends went for the OMG value and said it was all a bit OMG really !! LOL

TiRed

Alabama shakes were amazing!! Maybe my highlight act,

Mine too. Can’t really stand the Stones and missed Mumford, although they sound like they put on a good show. As did Kenny Rodgers.

BBC HD coverage on a 96″ screen with home cinema is all you need for that home festival experience. 8)

the-muffin-man

So, what “classic” act is left to put on the stage for the Saturday-night nostalgia-fest?

Pink Floyd!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Mmm. Could be. Have to dig up Rick Wright, though…

Plus of course, Gilmour and Waters would have to get on better than two cats in a bag.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Maybe this guy’s free next year…

jimster
    Free Member

Led Zep? If Robert can be persuaded and Jimmy can still stand up. Can’t think of anybody else.

Think I read somewhere that he was free next year and could be tempted to do something along these lines – but then according to another source it’s a non-starter as he’ll miss Bonzo too much.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well, the boy done good at the O2 last year…

jimster
    Free Member

Well, the boy done good at the O2 last year…

That was 2007(ish)

edlong
    Free Member

Think I read somewhere that he was free next year and could be tempted to do something along these lines – but then according to another source it’s a non-starter as he’ll miss Bonzo too much.

I’m sure I read that John Paul Jones has said he’s busy with an opera or somesuch and 2014 isn’t good for him. I see he found time to play with Seasick Steve this year.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

That was 2007(ish)

Yep. Memory’s going. Along with everything else…

Coyote
    Free Member

Caught PiL yesterday afternoon. What a disappointment.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I don’t really care, but it seems very unfair on young people for music to be endlessly defined by and measured against things that happened more than 40 years ago. I’m nearly 35. I have accordingly decided that any band who were cool in the nineties or before are now definitely embarrassing live, and I’m not going to argue with anyone under 25 who tells me that a band I haven’t heard of but who don’t have bus passes are the Best Band in the World. Seems only fair.

🙂

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

iPlayer’s great at this time of year – just played Toy – excellent – and Primal Scream – songs were OK, shame Bobby Gillespie doesn’t seem to know what to do with himself now he’s sobered up.

Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Stones at Glastonbury’ is closed to new replies.