Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stonehouse Standish Woods routes
  • docgeoffyjones

I used to live in Stonehouse about 6 years ago and used to walk the dogs in Standish woods. I remember there being some quite nice single track and bomb holes but for various reason never got round to riding it. Since i will be in the area next week i am planning on taking my bike.
    My current plan is to ride out from Stonehouse up Cashes Green Road, cutting into the woods just past robbers Road and working my way up to Haresfield beacon. Then follow the singletrack from the top car park to the bottom end of the woods. So what is the best way/(most fun way) to get back from the bottom end of the woods to Stonehouse? also does anyone have any other tips things to watch out for?

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Could have sworn it’s cyclists not allowed affair but then again did see some DH dudes up round there.

I must check it out again me thinks!

qwerty
    Free Member

Its a way marked cycle trail in Standish, plus loads of other tracks dropping off the side. Your on the right track, i always head up Sandpits Lane, turn right onto Cotswold Way & you’ll end up at Ash lane car park, follow the cycle route signs up to Haresfield Beacon, @ the car park there take a short section of road to Stockend Woods and head down to Edge via Maitlands Woods. its an out and back route. In Standish follow the signs, and in Stockend / Maitland just run parallel to the road. I’m around this week, drop me an email if you want showing around.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Thanks for info qwerty, what’s the tracks like up there towards edge from top of woodland?

qwerty
    Free Member

They’re great woodsy trails, you’ve just missed the bluebells but the garlics still around, they suffer from rainfall and can be a ‘mare after. Should be running ok at present.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Thanks for info bud!
    I’ll make a trip out soon then in that case.
    Yes loadsa wild garlic out at the mo.

docgeoffyjones

Thanks for the tip about Stockend i will try to add that in. Also Thanks for the offer of a show around I will message you when I have worked out the details.

lankystreakofpee

If you’re starting in Stonehouse, I would head out towards Gloucester rather than towards Cashes Green. Just as you hit the edge of town you can turn right at the roundabout up Horsemarling lane. This will take you straight up to the top of Sandpits lane where you can turn on to the Cotswold way. Nice views on the way up too and no traffic.

docgeoffyjones

lankystreakofpee

I was contemplating this but I really want to do that cashes green climb as I remember thinking that would be awesome if I could make it up there.
    Thanks for the tip though, I think I will try to come down Horsemarling lane.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stonehouse Standish Woods routes’ is closed to new replies.