Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stomach Cramps from eating red meat and protein shakes
  • enigmas
    Free Member

I’ve been intolerant of red meat for the last couple of years now, anything bigger than a small ham sandwich will give me terrible stomach cramps, nausea and flatulence from both ends. It’s so bad I ended up in A&A on a morphine drip one night after eating a steak. I also had a load of blood tests at the time, though I can’t remember exactly what they were for.

Anyhow I clicked onto the fact red meat was the trigger and I’ve been fine since, providing I don’t eat it. I never got down to the exact cause as once I’d found the trigger and they’d ruled out anything really major they lost interest in digging deeper.

I’ve never been too fussed as I’ve always preferred chicken/fish to red meat. But recently I’ve started going to the gym a lot more and started using whey protein shakes, which have started triggering the cramps again.

I’m booked into the docs next week but wondered if anyone else has anything similar? My first thoughts were either some protein or lactose intolerance. I’ve never liked milk other than a little in a cup of tea, but butter/cheese seems okay.

brocks
    Free Member

Don’t eat red meat and drink protein shakes then? Simple

kudos100
    Free Member

I never got on with whey protein. I used rice protein powder instead.

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

Could be alphagal allergy, which is an allergy to any meat from a mammal which explains why you have it with pork as well as red meat. My cousin developed this a few years ago, doctors claimed it was from some bug bite.

As for protien shakes, assuming you are on whey, try switching to Casien or as said above a veg derived protien. If you’re not sure what one you have, it’s probably whey. Unless you’re lactose intolerant, the skip Casien but it doesn’t sound like you are

avdave2

you are a vegan and it’s time to come out of the closet 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

A competent gastroenterologist would sort this for you straight away. Ask to be referred. You need to see someone at Consultant level.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

diverticulitis?

oldnpastit

Switch to an insect diet?

They taste a bit mothy, but ok with lots of beer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stomach Cramps from eating red meat and protein shakes’ is closed to new replies.