Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 188 total)
  • STOLEN LAST NIGHT – Hinckley – JONES, COTIC, SPECIALIZED
  • Chainline
    Free Member

I have found some pretty evil security products that I will be using.
    Almax evil chain and lock through the bike

For the garage door

Wish I'd known about this first

Gonna add a PIR inside as well with a dialling facility to notify me and up to 8 others it has been triggered.

And finally a drive proximity sensor.

My only worry with keeping them inside is if the b'stards decide to break into the house which would be much more worrying if the either attacked my dogs or scared the cr$p out of my children. I'd rather they hacked into the garage.

Smartwater too I reckon and a CCTV camera and the car against the doors if I'm in.

If they still want it, well I give up! Then I really would have ben targeted.

I still think it will turn up at some point. I will keep looking on the bay, gumtree etc, posting on here.

Thanks John, I am pleased there is one left. He's waiting for a small batch of fat forks now, he's going to add some rack mounts for me.

Phil Wood has agreed to make one more 135mm SLR front hub for me, which is nice of them, they will put a serial number on it for me too.

No more JJ cranks though. Not sure what to put on it yet.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Have you seen this months WMTB – it has a bike lock/chain test

This was their winner – the Pragmasis Protector chain and Squire padlock

Although looking at your list it is better than this one!

br
    Free Member

and the car against the doors if I'm in

I remember the story of a guy that goes to open his garage door, to find his Ducati has gone (it had been blocked in by his car). On removing car he discovers that its bonnet/roof/boot are very scratched – it seems they stole the bike by pulling it over the car…

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I'm sorry to hear about your loss Chainline. I've just put down a deposit on a 23" Spaceframe myself 🙂 I'm also waiting for a fat fork to be made for it. I didn't realise it was one of the last Spaceframes to be made!! I've made my own cut down M960 XTR chainset – I could probably make one for you – I don't suppose Jeff would mind – as he no longer makes them.

Chainline
    Free Member

cool futon, you won't be dissappointed. I think Jeff still wants to produce some more, he just said that Merlin were'nt going to do them anymore for him but he was talking to some other possible builders, but you never know what's going to happen in this climate.

The Fat forks should be ready soon.

Jeff would probably make some if he had some cranks!

Phil

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Phil – Why isn't Jeff working with Merlin any more?

singlespeedstu

Times be hard at Merlin…..

Or so I hear.

Chainline
    Free Member

John,

I think from MErlin/ABG's perspective the combination of the difficulty of producing the spaceframe and the volume. He would like to keep working with them! I don't know how many production runs of the Soda Cy will get from them but it is an easier frame to make.

Jeff explained to me that the parent company ABG are concentrating on imported carbon frames for their future business plans and that people at Merlin had been laid off, I could only see more work going Lynsky's way in that case. Jeff just said he is talking to others but nothing was happening yet. He had some fat forks in production and was waiting for them. He had one 23" frame left in almost the same spec as mine save some details I could like with [only one bottle cage mount,gear guides] he can add some rack mounts for me, other than that I would need to go custom, which would take about 6 to 9 months. That's a nice thought but having discussed it with him, Jeff nor I would change the spaceframe at this time unless there was a specific purpose to the mod, so not a lot of point really.

HE did say he has some of the Merlin manipulated seat tubes should he build some custom spaceframes.

Are you all enjoying yours. I am talking to him tonight about the spec for the new bike so I'll ask him what's going on with Merlin.

Anyone seen my bike? 🙂

guido

bump to place near 'Jones in London' thread

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I've been keeping an eye out in Derby (and I live in a scrotastic area too) but, obviously, no sign.

Just wanted to say thatI'm pleased for you that JJ has found a replacement – I've had bikes stolen in the past and know how gut-wrenching it is. Mine were easily replacable so I can only guess how wretched it must have felt to have found 'your' bike only to potentially lose it forever. As I said, good for JJ, PW etc, great support.

ononeorange

Apologies for sort-of hijack, but has anyone used the Almax Evil stuff in Chainline's really helpful post above? It all looks good on their site, just wondered if there's any real-life experience before shelling out that sort of cash?

Cheers

Chainline
    Free Member

I'll second that as I am about to take the plunge too.

What was the 'Jones in London' thread?

Chainline
    Free Member

I should have said it was a very helpful post on London Fixed Gear and SS forum that I came across them whilst looking for a mean alarmed padlock.

carlos
    Free Member

@Oneoneorange, I reckon the series III package is more than enough for a push bike no matter what it is. If they really want it that bad they'll get it one way or another. You also have to take into account the size of the chain, in the review the chap mentions about it fitting between the swingarm on his motorbike, with 19mm bar the links will be massive (19+19+gap in the middle). Think about passing that through your spokes, forks, frame and swingarm???

Chainline
    Free Member

I'm not bothered about the wheels or forks, it's the frame I want to keep tied to the floor!

The main thing for me is also the padlock not so much the chain. They went for my Oxford hardcore padlock not the chain because they could get to the shackle. The 19mm chain totally covers the shackle on that series iv, so I don't think they can get to it to bolt crop it, which was obviously the problem with my setup, which did win a Ride motorbike magazine lock test.

Napalm
    Free Member

I hope that this doesn't come across as a thread hijack but it may be appropriate as we're talking Jones.
    I am selling a Jones frame at the moment (http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-jeff-jones-spaceframe-29er-suspension-forks) – but not very agressively it has to be said.

ononeorange

Thanks Chainline and Carlos. Some very helpful points.

(Back to security planning….)

wwaswas

not read whole thread but have you seen these;

http://fwd.five.tv/gadgets/home-garden/home/alarms-protection/concept-smoke-screen-rapid-e-series%5D

video shows how they work.

Jamie
    Free Member

Looks interesting 😉

JohnClimber
    Free Member

$1200 Phil if you didn't get my text

Nightfire
    Free Member

I'm keeping an eye out Warwick way for you.

Chainline
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, all good work, and thankyou John, I got your text.

phil

Chainline
    Free Member

Anyone see my bike pokin around at the weekend??

Chainline
    Free Member

here kitty kitty ❓

FuzzyWuzzy

I have the Almax III chain and the Squire SS65CS and both seem very well made. Not had my garage broken into (yet) so can't testify how well they hold up to attack but the web-site is pretty convincing. I'm about to order a second set (IV chain + squire lock + defiant anchor) as want to divide up the locking of my 4 bikes for less hassle (otherwise the one against the wall never gets ridden :p ). Be careful if using the Almax III or IV with some ground anchors (like the Kryptonite stronghold) as the links might be too big to pass through the loop on it (the III goes through the stronghold if you file some of the plastic base away on the anchor), if you phone them up though they'll advise what will work and what won't.

The chains are also very heavy so don't plan on carrying them around with you and I'm always careful when unlocking mine to not let one of the ends of the chain drop free as otherwise it'll give your frame tube a nice whack.

Chainline
    Free Member

Thanks for that, I have an Oxford Ground anchor, the eye is quite large but I'll see and if it doesn't work I'll have to get an almax one.

Chainline
    Free Member

Any sitings?

I want to print out some pictures and get them put up at trail centre bike shops all over if possible. If anyone is willing to help and print out an A4/A3 picture with a description/spec/contact number and ask the local bike shop to put it up I would be really grateful. Contact me for said pic/description.

Chainline
    Free Member

Should I post this on any to ther forums, Bike radar etc?

Get some posters up at all the trail centres?

Chainline
    Free Member

bump is anyone has seen anything?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

No sorry nothing up here.

I've taken to riding my new bike a bit more so no one stops me 😉

We're still looking but keep bumping.

Any news on the spare one Jeff has? or a custome one with the insurance?

bias
    Free Member

Personally, im starting to think that there may be quite an organised group of people behind this…

Had my yeti 575 (new shape, turqoise, fox 36's, xo, goldtec/stans wheels) and my yeti ARC (team colours, sid forks with custom stickers, slight ding on the top tube, xo, goldtec/stans wheels) nicked the other night (i live in stoke). The shed was double locked and they were locked down with two motorbike chains, so whoevers nicked em knew exactly what they were after cos they used pneumatic croppers to get the chains off. They also made off with some other spare bits that i had in the shed. Im proper gutted.

So beware folks, cos it appears that if youve got a nice bike theres not a lot you can do to stop it being pinched other than take it absolutely everywhere with you!

Chainline
    Free Member

John,

Jeff's awaiting a fork, in the meantime I'm in the process of making the garage as close to fort knox as possible, 2 seperate alarms, 1 dial up, mahoosive chains, monster container hasp, coach bolts everywhere and 2 ground anchors….not that I'm paranoid 😉

I'm wondering whether to ask him if he'll put a lower value on the invoice for customs!!

martinh
    Free Member

I think I worked out it cost about the same to go and fetch the bike as to have the shipping and taxes to pay

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Chainline – Member
    John,

Jeff's awaiting a fork,

I've a spare "normal width" truss fork I'm not using while you wait for your fat fork, feel free to borrow it.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Chainline – Phil

Just to let you know people are still on the look out for your bike as I've noticed a change in questioning when I'm on the Jones.

It used to be, "what the ****", "tell me what you think of it", "Why's it look like that"

I went for an easy bimble around Llandegla today with a few mates and the question I was asked twice was "How long have you had your Jones?"

It might still turn up. Fingers crossed

singlespeedstu

I went for an easy bimble around Llandegla today with a few mates and the question I was asked twice was "I though you Jones rider had to have some skillz to get away with riding a bike that looks like that?"

😉

To the OP.

I really do hope it turns up. I'd be gutted myself like.

Chainline
    Free Member

Thanks guys, appreciate keeping it alive.

I'd like to recover it someday, alot of time and thought went into it from many people, professional and friends alike so it gates to think a scrote has it.

Thanks for the offer John on the fork, Jeff has everything now.

Martin, it is pretty much the same to fetch as ship and pay taxes, you just have to spend 3 days on planes! I would have liked to go though, I have just run out of time this year with other commitments, I'll probably try and get out there to see him and do a bit of riding next year.

I saw Cy at Cotic had the same issue with Merlin. Apparently they will only be producing one road bike and one mountain bike model next year.

Has anyone sen it

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Apparently they (Merlin) will only be producing one road bike and one mountain bike model next year.

Lets hope they fail.

dano
    Free Member

sorry to hear your loss…

its not just theft but home invasion, and i hope those scallies get busted…

Chainline
    Free Member

Bit of a bump, in the vein hope Jonesy shows it's head or the wifes small full XTR, Royce hubbed (xr4.1 wheels), revelation forked, custard soul?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 188 total)

The topic ‘STOLEN LAST NIGHT – Hinckley – JONES, COTIC, SPECIALIZED’ is closed to new replies.