Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • STIs – do you need brake cable ferrules?
  • Ben_H

I’m slowly approaching the end of a road bike build, but struggling to get the brakes right.

I’m using 105 5800 STIs, with BB7 SL calipers. It seems that you put the brake cable outer straight into the STI unit, without a ferrule (see right):

Is this right? I’m having trouble with “squishy” braking on at least one of the brakes – and I think it’s either due to not using a ferrule, or perhaps not having a 100% straight cut outer cable end (which is really hard with my cable cutters!).

Any tips? 🙂

simondbarnes

No ferrule

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Better cable cutters (or a dremel to finish the end off neatly)

simondbarnes

Oh and compressionless cable outer will help with squishy brake feel.

kcal

what’s best c-less cable? def. get this on the rear BB7, and would be good to sort it while I rebuild it anyway 🙂

simondbarnes

The TRP stuff seems to work well as does Ashima Reaction (although it’s not black which puts most off, got loads of it in stock)

kcal

cheers ears !!

simmy
    Free Member

It’s been a long day and I only read the first part of the title of the thread and wondered who would be that bold, even on STW 😯

amedias
    Free Member

Even the best cutters in the world don’t get a perfect end, you should always file them after cutting to get a nice square fit.

scotroutes

I have a bastard in the workshop almost exclusively for this.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Bench grinder and C-less outer I made a small jig/guide that finishes them flush.

antigee

Bench grinder and C-less outer I made a small jig/guide that finishes them flush

do you plug the outer to stop any crap going down it or am i being paranoid?

I use a file but it always worries me

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘STIs – do you need brake cable ferrules?’ is closed to new replies.