Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Stile cop how gnar?
  • devilman
    Free Member

As the title suggests how gnar is the above.
    For example lets use Hogans run, Dt line, Transfer line all at Woburn.
    Or for natural example The Beast in the Peak.
    I love all the above.
    Is Stile cop for me? On a hard tail.
    I am looking a 11/2 drive to Cannock. Do not want to waste my time.
    Cheers
    DM

lunge

There are plenty of tracks that are rideable by a fat desk jockey on a hardtail, I know as I am one.

There are also a couple of more challenging tracks that I won;t touch.

There is some good stuff up there and it is worth a visit.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The Beast[b]fluffy kitten[/b] in the Peak

FTFY on the basis it’s no longer got anything to deserve the name, and the last time MBR rode it they took photos of themselves riding the fast outside chicken line up on the bank!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Another vote for fluffy kitten. We should start a campaign to get it renamed.

scruff
    Free Member
    sambob
    Free Member

Fluffy Kitten FTW. Think it was originally a BadlyWiredDog/SFB creation.

Blower
    Free Member

far harder stuff in the peaks if you know where to look.

_tom_
    Free Member

The red is easy with a couple of small drops and jumps, and has an optional ladder drop halfway down. There are harder looking black runs that I haven’t attempted yet, and I’m still yet to ride the newer trails on the other side of the hill. If you want to make the most of it as you’re driving that far, then you should do a lap of the monkey trail and divert to stile cop halfway round.

100mphplus
    Free Member

I you can jump / drop off then there is nothing at Stile Cop that will worry you. All of the woodwork features are a doddle and you don’t actually have to go off of them all that fast or you’ll get into trouble on the following corner.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Another vote for fluffy kitten. We should start a campaign to get it renamed

Maybe you’ve just got better. Sure, it’s not the hardest descent in the Peak District, but every time I’ve been on a group ride round there it is the main descent that gives people problems. As soon as you learn that a modern bike can just be pointed down it without much issue, it becomes a bit tame, but not everyone has got over that hurdle yet. Personally I don’t find it technical enough to be a big challenge, but it’s too rocky to be a balls out hoon compared to other descents around there.

rocketman
    Free Member

As above the red run is technically no more difficult than Tacks Blast it’s just steeper and more sustained. It’s all rollable on a HT but not much fun. Think it’s 60m vertical from top to bottom reckon on a couple of minutes or so

The Ridge Run is a step up and typical Cannock inasmuch as there are plenty of trees to collide with. Again do-able on a HT but not much fun IMO

The two- and three-skull trails get progressively more difficult Walleater (for me) is proppa mad.

We also have a spangly new wall ride if the older boys will let you have a go on it.

nosedive
    Free Member

I find the red run and the other run next to it is rideable and plenty of may mates have ridden it on a hardtail and enjoyed it.

The stuff on the other side of the hill is too difficult for me, especially in the wet. I just slide down the mud and crash into trees

devilman
    Free Member

Thanks guys.
    Will check it out sunday.
    DM

BadlyWiredDog

Fluffy Kitten FTW. Think it was originally a BadlyWiredDog/SFB creation.

Mike Davis aka Pro Elbows is to blame, I think.

scruff
    Free Member

Devilman, it will be busy this Sunday, Racers Guild (regular timed practise held every month) plus a running event passing through so not all trails will be open.

Monthly trail building next Saturday aswell, so again there will be some closures.

Becca
    Free Member

I like it there it has some lovely tracks. I do agree that the floor, trees and woodwork there are quite hard if you hit them at speed!

devilman
    Free Member

Scruff-nice one may go on saturday.

Becca-If you find any soft trees let me know. All the ones I have tested seem pretty hard.

devilman
    Free Member

Had a good time on the red run, will check out other lines on my next visit.
    Rode the monkey then set out from birches valley on the bike to find stile cop, well hidden and i wasted a lot of time.
    Locals really friendly.
    Dm

Superficial
    Free Member

I don’t really think ‘the Beast’ (in quotes because I that name makes me feel nauseated) has ever changed that much, perhaps you people have just learnt to ride it and now it seems easier.

The real challenge of it is going up, though.

In fact I’m slowly learning that the most technical trails point upwards. With a squidgy enough bike, most people can ride anything downhill, but it takes real skill to go up hard stuff.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Stile cop how gnar?’ is closed to new replies.