Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stiffest sole available in a winter boot for Time XC8 pedals?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Seems that everything out there is a poly midsole, and I’d really like something as stiff as possible.

Needs to be a two bolt compatible sole as well. So, waterproof, warm, and stiffer than a stiff thing. Ideally, a carbon soled boot, as I love how stiff my current shoes are.

Moon on a stick?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Lakes – no flex in mine
    I normally mention how expensive they are but think that wont be an issue this time
    Cracking cracking boots and mine are about 7 years old now and still fine and showing limited signs of wear [ sole from walking up hill ] but rest is fine.

Like this …but in stock 😉

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Lake-MXZ303-Winter-Boot_58427.htm

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Had thought about those, Junky, but don’t know of anywhere to go and have a peek at ’em.

For reference, when I say I want a stiff sole, I want something as stiff as my current XC/road use shoes;

Which are the same stiffness as the road versions, just with a bit of tread.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cannot help you there but if you are ever in the North and want to try some 😉

Having just tried mine – remember the age. they are not quite solid but pretty close – a little flex
    TBH you will need some flex if you ever intend to walk but the hills down South are not quite as extreme as here

In summary they are not a solid sole but it is pretty rigid.

IA

My speshy defrosters are very nearly as stiff as my carbon soled sworks summer efforts (not the same as yours, the older disco-white-and-red ones with velcro and ratchets).

Not quite as stiff, but same league. They do go flexier over time though, I have two pairs and the newer pair (with the boa system) are notably stiffer, I’m sure I remember the old pair being that stiff in their youth and the sole looks identical.

TBH you will need some flex if you ever intend to walk

OTOH I like the stiffness of my defrosters when I’m walking in winter cos I’m walking if:

Deep snow, in which case shoe stiffness doesn’t matter at all.

Icey and steep, in which case being able to kick in toeholds help.

Then in muddy wintery stuff a nice stiff sole and toe spikes gets me up a lot.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have those lakes too and they are plenty stiff enough…..and the best winter boots I’ve had bar none!!

MSP

I have both the current and previous versions of the spesh defrosters, and they are both very very far from having a stiff sole. I had an older version of lake winter boots and didn’t think they were that stiff either. Got some northwave celsius artic this year (I have blown a shit load finding the right boots over the past few years) and they are much stiffer and better.

No where near as stiff as my bont vapours mind, which I imagine are similar in stiffness to the spesh s-works, but I don’t think anyone will be doing a full carbon sole winter boot.

With the others I get a hot spot under the cleat after a couple of hours, no such problem with the northwaves (I am heavy and mash the pedals).

sweaman2
    Free Member

I thought my Northwave Celsius artic was carbon but according to the web it is carbon enriched. Never the less still find them plenty stiff but I’m not sure I’m a conniseiur of ultra stiffness.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Went with the Northwave Celsius Artic GTX. First ride with them yesterday, pretty pleased! Not as stiff, but still seemed good. Nice and warm inside.

Took a while to get the cuff comfy and they are a little wider around the ankle so might be a bit more rubbing on the crank.

Overall, pleased so far.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stiffest sole available in a winter boot for Time XC8 pedals?’ is closed to new replies.