• This topic has 21 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by GW.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Stiffer stem – Thomson X4 or Hope XC/AM ?
  • davosaurusrex

Like it says really – I’m building a new bike up but due to 2 slipped discs in my lower back I need to run a ridiculously high front end (yes I know it’ll climb like a dog, particularly as I’m running Bomber 44RCS ti coil forks which you can’t even lock out, let alone reduce the travel). I’ve got a 90mm 10 degree rise X4 but with the number of spacers under it there is quite a bit of flex at the bars (760mm Nukeproofs). I’ve seen Hope do a 25 degree rise 90mm XC/AM stem which would put the bars in the same position but allow me to remove a few spacers underneath, anyone know how they compare stiffness wise to the Thomson? Cheers now.

davosaurusrex

Lionel Ritchie

GW
    Free Member

The Hope’s far too flexy for my taste even in a short length.
    Why are you only looking at those 2 stems?

woody2000

You can flex a stem? Really? I suspect any flex is coming from elsewhere 🙂

davosaurusrex

I’m after a 90mm 25 degree rise or thereabouts, all ears for any other recommendations?

Most of the flex is probably from the stack of spacers, mahoosive bars aren’t helping either but they feel just right width wise

GW
    Free Member

Nope, Woody.. it’s not even difficult.. all stems flex to some extent.

Davo – are you saying you think more flex is coming from the steerer?

woody2000

Flex in which plane? I’m sceptical 🙂

GW
    Free Member

Woody, do you have a bike nearby?

woody2000

Sadly not today GW

chiefgrooveguru

If you go shorter (which handles much better for me) then the Renthal stems are v stiff!

davosaurusrex

had considered going shorter but given the forks I think I may need to keep my weight forward. Need some rise to get rid of some spacers too as I’m sure they’re not helping with flex

GW
    Free Member

when you do, simply sit on it and hold the bars at each end firmly while leaning over the stem, pull one hand up while pushing the other down, watch the stem’s face plate carefully!
    repeat on other bikes with different stems and see there is a definite difference between stem stiffnesses.

I dislike riding bikes with flexy stems, cranks or wheels.

Sorry, Davo, I can’t recommend anything majorly stiff in such a long length I’m afraid

woody2000

Ah, not quite what I meant by flex. I thought flex was referring to a movement of the stem “shaft”. Still, can’t say I notice it myself, maybe I’m not strong enough 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

Woody, having changed from a 60mm eXotic XC stem to a 50mm Renthal I can say for sure that the former flexed a huge amount around the longitudinal axis when hauling on the bars during standing stomping uphill moments.

smiff
    Free Member

maybe a higher rise bar is the way to do it? what’s the highest rise you can get, 50mm? most DH bars seem to be getting flatter though..

scruff
    Free Member

Stems do flex. Thomson are stiffer than most.

GW
    Free Member

of course it flexes through the stems “shaft” it’s simply easier to see the result of overall flex at the ends

davosaurusrex

‘such a long length’? I remember when we were all riding around on 135mm zero rise stems. And when all this were fields. The former possibly has something to do with the state of my back….

I’ve got the 38mm Nukeproof Warhead risers. The 50mm seem to have fallen out of favour like you say smiff

bigjim

what is a good non-flexy 70mm stem? I too dislike stem flex. Was going to go Hope but if they are flexy then open to others… running 780mm Fatbars…

Rubber_Buccaneer

Tape a straw to the stem faceplate if you want to see how much flex there is. I really doubt a high rise stem is going to help much but I’m just guessing the steerer length isn’t the problem, I have no cold hard facts.

Don’t forget a 25 degree stem in the same length as a 10 degree stem is going to bring the bars towards you too.

smiff
    Free Member

i can see 60mm and 70mm rise bars on ebay, but only in 25.4mm clamp.. and quite cheap (USA).
    any decent really high rise and wide bars around?

GW
    Free Member

Haven’t ridden longer than a 55mm stem for 18 years now, did once have a 135 neg rise one on an xc race hardtail about 20 yrs ago buut it wasn’t me that built it and it didn’t stay.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Stiffer stem – Thomson X4 or Hope XC/AM ?’ is closed to new replies.