Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stiff chain link …cure?
  • vondally
    Free Member

Hello have a stiff chain link, I have pushed pulled it wiggled it, used a screw driver to try a give it a push,,,,,,,,,,anything else?

andyl
    Free Member

do you have a chain tool?

give he pin a little nudge with the chain in the position that opens out the link – and I mean a little one. In fact you don’t even want it to move any perceptible amount. Apply some force and then check. Flip over and try the other side.

RobHilton
    Free Member

If there are 2 positions on your chain tool its what the “other” one is for:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/tight-link-repair-ct-3-ct-5-ct-6-ct-7

geetee1972
    Free Member

Little trick I was shown recently is to bend the chain back and forth perpendicular to the direction of travel at the stiff link. Obviously you won’t actually bend the chain but by applying pressure to it you can loosen the pin and free the link.

br
    Free Member

If all else fails, just buy a new one – worse-case £15

brooess
    Free Member

You need a whole new bike, once the chain’s gone, that’s it.
    Or at least that’s what your other half needs to believe 🙂

benpinnick

By pushed and pulled have you grabbed te chain and just bent it sideways quite hard? Thats what is needed normally, a waggle here and tickle there wont cut it.

vondally
    Free Member

so on this link I have twisted pulled, yanked and bent it back and forth, tried chain tool no joy……………..gave in and spilt it used another connector

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Take the link out and put a power link in to replace it .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stiff chain link …cure?’ is closed to new replies.