Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sticky Thomson dropper….
  • disconoir
    Free Member

Just fitted a new saddle to my Thomson dropper that’s not been used for about 4 weeks and last time it was used it was very very muddy. It now seems to have developed a bit of a sticky action on the last 3-4cm of coming up. Anyone else had this problem? It’s only been used for 10 rides or so (admittedly 6 of those were in the alps this summer, which was very very wet and muddy).

Anything I can do to sort it out short of sending in back?

disconoir
    Free Member

Now that’s customer service! (or a very good automated email system!)

Just emailed Thomson the same as above and literally 2 minutes later I got this reply:

You can try cleaning the stanchion and applying silicone spray or car wax and see if that helps. If not, loosen the cable at the lever on the post and cycle by hand and see if it works better.

David

Thomson Bike Products
    7800 NE Industrial Boulevard
    Macon, GA 31216

Wow! Not sure SRAM would be quite so quick with advice for my reverb!

bigrich

check how tight your seat clamp is too.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Was looking at a friend’s Thomson dropper recently. Compressed easily enough but had an inconsistant return speed. Would be nice if there were instructions for a slider service. I know the damper is sealed. Tried cycling it with some lube but it only improved things slightly.

strike
    Free Member

SRAM probably wouldn’t be so fast on replying….but SRAM have the full service manuals online and the Reverb can be stripped down/rebuilt by anyone.

I’m sure the Thomson is a great post, but the sealed damper put me off. Things go wrong and when they do, I like to be able to (try to) fix them myself.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I consider it like a rear shock. I don’t mind a factory service on the sealed damper every couple of years but as above, I would like to be able to strip and clean/relube brie moving parts.

wwaswas

I would like to be able to strip and clean/relube brie moving parts

These dropper posts aren’t all made of cheese, you know 😉

johnnystorm

Kudos for the speed of reply but squirt some oil on it and push it up and down a bit isn’t exactly letting you in on a trade secret. 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bloody autocorrect.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sticky Thomson dropper….’ is closed to new replies.