• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sticky shifter fix needed
  • JoeG
    Free Member

On Monday, I bought another retrobike, a Proflex 753. 8)

It has 7 speed DX shifters. The rear (right) shifter will only access the highest 5 gears though. 😕

The rear derailleur moves smoothly; no hangup or anything. Its not limit screws, I can move the rear derailleur onto the biggest 2 cogs by hand. The cable runs freely in the housing; I took out the cable, wiped it down, and ran some WD40 through the last 2 pieces of housing to clean out any crud.

So I took the cover off of the front shifter, and it seems sticky inside. It looks like whatever oil, grease, or other lube was in the has gone all gummy over the past 21 years. I sprayed some WD40 on it hoping that it would act as a solvent and free things up. it did a bit, but I need something better. I’m reluctant to try something real aggressive like carb or brake cleaner as I’m not sure what materials everything is made out of.

What should I use?

coatesy
    Free Member

I normally use GT85, lots of solvent in it that seems to soften whatever grease they use. Usually there’s a little pawl wrapped with a tiny spring that causes the problem, working it back and forth to free it generally solves the problem.

Harry_the_Spider

Blast it with GT85.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Are these STIs or thumbies?
    On STIs the plastic can go brittle over time, so be careful.
    Otherwise just strip the housing off and then attack the innards with WD40 or GT85, moving the shift levers as you go. It’ll probably take some time but they should work free.
    Oh and Id do it with no cables attached.

fasthaggis

Drown in GT85,WD40 or something similar.Leave for a bit then blast with airline.Repeat till changer works 🙂

JoeG
    Free Member

Ok, sounds like I’m on the right track. Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sticky shifter fix needed’ is closed to new replies.