Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • sticky hope pro 2 freehub
  • Locoboy
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’m new to the world of hope hubs and I have a pro 2 rear hub and it seems rather sluggish on the freehub, so much so that when I spin the pedals in reverse the chain doesn’t turn the hub backwards until the rear deraileur is pulled forward and there is actually some reverse tension on the chain.
    I’concerned that A, it won’t roll as fast downhill and B, when you wheel the bike around the pedals will turn because the free hub is acting more like a fixed hub.

Any thoughts? The hearings in the free hub seem smooth when I put my finger in and move them round….
    Col

kendo954
    Free Member

Have you had the free hub off and give it a good clean?

shortcut

You probably need new bearings somewhere in the rear hub. Most likely in the freehub.

khani
    Free Member

Is it new? Mine were like that when I got them but spin lovely now, if it’s old it probably needs cleaning and stuff..

andeh

Mine was like that when new. I just took it apart and added a bit of grease to the seals, which helped. They take a bit of time to wear in.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Sounds to me like the freehub seal isn’t seated in the grooves properly or is the wrong way round.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

If you have dismantled the hub you may have re-assembled it with the spacer in the wrong position, the spacer prevents the free-hub tightening against the main hub body when you re-assemble and refit the cassette with the lock nut, recheck this before you ride out again as the chances are you will wreck the hub, the hope web site has exploded diagrams which show the correct sequence to reassemble.

johnellison
    Free Member

If you have dismantled the hub you may have re-assembled it with the spacer in the wrong position, the spacer prevents the free-hub tightening against the main hub body when you re-assemble and refit the cassette with the lock nut, recheck this before you ride out again as the chances are you will wreck the hub, the hope web site has exploded diagrams which show the correct sequence to reassemble.

^ This.

All to easy to get wrong. And don’t fill the hub with grease or it won’t work at all. A dab of light oil is all it needs (I use Bisley gun oil!).

johnellison
    Free Member

when I put my finger in and move them round

Oh god, just spotted this…Fnarr-o-meter off the scale…. 😆

dannyh
    Free Member

Most likely (as above), either you have missed off the spacer (potentially quite bad) or you have put the seal in the wrong way around or skew (not so bad, just annoying).

Youtube is good for hope stuff – the actual hopetech how-to’s with the northern geezer with the big hair are good. Just don’t let them fool you into thinking things just come apart with a gentle pull with your hands. This never, never happens with components that have actually been ridden on.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Mines the opposite, it just falls out. I was removing a hope end cap and the whole freehub just comes off.

Anyway to fix this?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘sticky hope pro 2 freehub’ is closed to new replies.