Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • sticky hope piston help !!!!
  • richieokeefe1
    Free Member

Hi all

I think I have a sticky piston on my hope X2 brakes on the front . When looking down at the caliper the right piston is out as if I were pulling the lever , I tried resetting the pistons and re bled the system and still no joy 🙁 the wheel will not even turn which causes me some drag !! would the grateful for your help cheers

Richie

DT78
    Free Member

Had this with mine, turned out to be a bit of grit in the seal.

I removed the pads and wiped a bit of brake fluid around the stuck out piston then used a tyre lever and a bit of elbow grease to force it back in. Went with a bit of a crunch, been fine since.

I think the next option is to drain the system, remove the hose from the caliper, attach a track pump and try to pop it out. If you do this probably worth putting in new seals whilst your at it.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

ok will try this cheers i can push the piston back in but it comes out again thought I had too much oil in the system ???

DT78
    Free Member

Oh that doesn't sound like a sticky (I thought you meant 'jammed') piston then, if you can make it go back in but then comes back out.

Might be something to do with the diaphram on the lever?

When you bleed the system did you make sure you'd pushed the pistons back flush?

jamesb
    Free Member

Contact Hope?? They are very helpful indeed IMHO and IME

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Calipers off bike. Pads out. Pump the lever a little bit until the pistons are part way out. If one piston is slow to move hold the other in until it does. Dribble a little brake fluid over the pistons push back in. work in and out a few time. Bleed the brakes thru with new fluid ( optional but should be done every year)

Sorted

Junkyard
    Free Member

contact hope they pooped out a stuck piston for me for free.
    You dont have a stuck piston – generally this means it wont move when you press the lever. Yours is stuck out. Not sure what causes this but sus[ec tale apart time. The TJ method above is unlikely towork as that is for a stuck in piston.E-mail hope on their website

Taff
    Free Member

SOunds sticky to me like some dust or something. I had this recently with mine and I ended up replacing the seals as they're cheap. Look at the hope website for servicing brakes and set up. They've got some videos on there that are very good.

devs
    Free Member

Sounds like a knackered seal. It's the stiction in the seals that causes the piston to move back in. I had similar on my Mono M4 recently. I replaced 2 pistons and seals and now they are schuweeeet!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘sticky hope piston help !!!!’ is closed to new replies.