• This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Sticky freehub on chris king.
  • DT78
    Free Member

Been reading threads saying this is normal for new, but these are coming up at least 30hrs mostly dry use now, and I think they’ve got worse not better. I had got used to the drag until I swapped onto my old bike for a spin and it was noticeably absent. Wheel spins great so I don’t think I’ve got the collars done up too tight or a problem with the bearings, it’s when you pedal or back pedal.

So, does it need a freehub service already? My proII lasted 2 years before I needed to service it….

I don’t have any ringlube and tomorrow morning is likely my only chance to service before the next gorrick. Will finish line do?

gee
    Free Member

It’s probably worth a flush out and regrease with the right grease after the race. Don’t faff now if you wont be able to ride it properly again before the race to check it works.

They seem to need a flush when new. Rest assured you’ll never have to actually replace anything…

GB

DT78
    Free Member

I’ve got thestock wheel in case it goes wrong… Ordered the oil so hopefully I’ll get a spare hour during the week and all it needs is a bit of a clean.

stoney
    Free Member

Never had a rear be “draggy” from new, curently running 3 sets but have had 2 others on previous bikes. What they don`t like is the cold, the ring drive fails to engage and you have a neutral….

Mobil 1 fully synthetic (or similar, Triflow in the book)is what cures it, just a few drops on the ringdrive and Hey Presto…. 😛

I bought a small 500 bottle from the big “H” 😛

DT78
    Free Member

Well given it a strip down. Full of crap so cleaned it all out. The bearing inside the freehub (white one after the needle bearings) feels particularly gritty even after 2 flushes with wd40. Any tips for getting this bearing feeling smooth? When the ring lube arrives do I use some in there too?

njee20
    Free Member

IME get used to this!

Have you taken the seal out of the bearing to properly get at it? Stanley blade into the snap ring and it’ll come out, easier to properly flush.

DT78
    Free Member

It doesn’t have one as far as I can tell. Looks like correct term is the driveshell bearing.

I’m a little disappointed the hub hasn’t even done a winter yet,

It is amazing well made, though I kind of half think the hope pro ii it replaced was a better idea, just knock out bearings, new ones in, job done.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, as Gee said, I never had to replace anything, but I did have to regularly disassemble bearings in order to get them moving again! They manage this whilst being heavier than many competitors too!

Beautiful finish (although my blue ones were a markedly different colour to my headset, disappointingly), and nicely put together, and clearly a lot of people do many thousands of trouble free miles on theirs, but not my experience.

gee
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 sets. All are over 4 years old and all run perfectly with a full strip down once a year. I do a lot of miles on them… For comparison, I have to replace all the bearings, pawls and springs on the Hope Pro 2 on my cross bike about every 9 months…

Oh and that bearing in the freehub always feels like that. I try to dribble ringdrive lube into it and spin it with my finger to work it in.

stoney
    Free Member

Yes, the lube is great for the bearings but run a few drops of full synth oil on the ringdrive.

The ones iv`v just stripped off the HT and been fully submerged in water several times last yaer, 3 times in one ride, took the driveshell off, flushed the bearings out and back togther…

Still perfect after 5 years!!!!(appart from the colour faded slightly)

DT78
    Free Member

Is theres a cheaper way of getting the tool to service? It looks like a headset press. Any enterprising person out there sell the relevant banks to use with a headset press?

Thanks for the tips on that bearing. Obviously designed to be open. I imagine once it’s all lubed up and put back together I won’t notice.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Sticky freehub on chris king.’ is closed to new replies.