Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Sticking repair patches on using superglue
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

will they stay put on the outside of a tyre carcass with a small nick in it? its a tubeless tyre that is leaking a tiny amount. If i stick a patch on with vulcanizing solution it comes off easily as the latex seeps, will superglue work?

nukeproof
    Free Member

I find superglue sets quite brittle with little flexibility and therefore wouldn’t work well with the expansion/contraction of the tyre.

snaps
    Free Member

I doubt it – superglue goes hard & britle, vulcanizing solution & patch on the inside works fine.

thepodge
    Free Member

3rds on too brittle

househusband

Best permanent repair to tubeless (assume you mean proper UST) is, in my experience, the sticky string type kit that Weldtite do; it may not be the most cosmetic but it plugs rather than covers the hole.

singlespeedstu

racing_ralph
    Free Member

sss – not on a sidewall nick mate.
    I have done a proper patch on the inside with vulcanizing solution. How long do i leave it to dry for?
    Have also gone for the superglue method on the outside. whats the worst that can happen?

Anthony
    Free Member

Vucanising solution doesn’t actually ‘glue’ patches on it bonds the rubbers together.

Your seriously trying to glue a patch to the outside of a tyre?

singlespeedstu

In that case make sure the tyres clean and dry where you’re going to stick the patch then rough it up a bit before you use the glue.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Anthony
    Your seriously trying to glue a patch to the outside of a tyre?

yes – its a common thing to do on UST/Tubeless tyres when the side wall is damaged. One on the inside and one on the outside. Quelle problem?

Anthony
    Free Member

‘glue’ a patch to the outside of a tyre?

Vulcanising solution should be left to dry before putting the patch on. It should be ready use in seconds once it’s applied.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i know that – just wondered if best to leave for a bit after so that the latex solution doesn’t get under the patch

Anthony – glue as in stick!! Are you not familiar with english?

From the park site:

Open glue tube and puncture seal. Apply thin coat of glue and spread evenly around hole area. Spread area of glue larger than patch size. Use a clean finger or back of patch to spread glue evenly in a thin layer. Do not apply too much glue. Glue layer should not appear “glopped” on.

Onzadog
    Free Member

With tubeless, I’ve always used tiptop patches on the inside of the tyre with vulcanising solution. I make sure i do a good job of sanding the area first, clean the area with alcohol, let that flash off. Then I put the vulcanising solution on, smear it around and then let that “dry”. I don’t wait for it to go tacky, I leave it ages, over night sometimes. Then pop the patch on and give it the good news with the smooth end of a tyre lever. Always worked for me.

Anthony
    Free Member

Ralph, I’m sorry I wasn’t trying to be a git.

I was refering more to using any type of ‘glue’ for sticking something to the outside of a tyre. The vulcanising solution actually melts the rubber together rather than a superficial adhesion you would get from normal glue.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

fair play

househusband

Just out of interest, what do you guys who patch inside and out do with UST tyres if you get a hole (one that won’t seal with sealant) whilst out on the trail..?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

if its in the tread – strings (pics above) or if its in the sidewall – tube

househusband

Cool. Just haven’t ever seen the need to do anything more than use the sticky string; fit and forget – even if in the sidewall or close to the rim. Managed to plug one last weekend that was right very close to the rim.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

this was a 5mm “slash” tho

househusband

I’ve managed to plug them with sticky string; the Weldtite one has a rasp to roughen the hole and insert glue – by the time you’ve used that every hole is pretty much that size!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

thats the one i use

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Those Anchovies look like they’ll be rubbish, but they’re a bloody marvel. I’m always astounded at what they can seal.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

2 hours in the peak this evening and its still holding up well 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Sticking repair patches on using superglue’ is closed to new replies.