Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Stem slamming…..
  • ricky1
    Free Member

Anything I should know before I cut my steerer and it’s final,any doo’s or dont’s?

Shorty121
    Free Member

Can you do it with spacers first to try it?

SirHC

Try it in that position before getting the hacksaw out 😉

Oh and measure twice, cut once.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Leave a 5mm spacer on top.

wiggles
    Free Member

Don’t cut it too short is main thing you need to be concerned about…

ricky1
    Free Member

Yes suppose I could,question answered cheers.

damascus
    Free Member

Try it first before you cut the steerer.

Then always leave enough for a spacer to go on top just incase you develop back ache. Also having a bit extra helps when you come to selling it.

When you slam it, make sure you point the stem downwards for full Aero affect

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

totally pointless slammin’ it unless the stem is pointed downwards!

titusrider
    Free Member

other thing worth considering if you have some expensive forks and your short (im thinking mtb) is:

If you cut it down properly they will be worthless to anyone else if you ever wanted to sell on.

matay
    Free Member

leave as long as possible and add spacers on top of the stem.
    You may want to change frames or sell the forks

finbar
    Free Member

You may want to change frames or sell the forks

Or, enjoy your bike in the now and cut it down properly so it doesn’t look ugly.

colin9

Or, enjoy your bike in the now and cut it down properly so it doesn’t look ugly.

This.

D0NK

okily dokily
    [quote]Or, enjoy your bike in the now and cut it down properly so it doesn’t look ugly. [/quote]noooooooo!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I can enjoy my bike fine with a couple of spacers above the stem, how difficult is it?

therevokid
    Free Member

@DONK … Pi55ed myself 🙂

finbar
    Free Member

D0nk, that’s something to aspire to. Think of all the $$$ you’ll make when you sell it!

finbar
    Free Member

I’ve just realised I’m trying to sell a fork in the classifieds today with a really short steerer 😆

D0NK

Think of all the $$$ you’ll make when you sell it!

thing is I very rarely sell stuff, use it til it’s broke normally, I’m just constantly scared of being left with too short a steerer. There is a dearth of forks with >190mm steerers on classified so wish this stem slamming would **** off.

Pic was during getting the correct bar height testing, now chopped down but still run stem negative rise with spacers underneath – just in case 🙂

TiRed

I can enjoy my bike fine with a couple of spacers above the stem

This.

It really is not a big deal. If I haven’t moved the stem for six months or so, then I’ll think about cutting it down. But there should always be the option of raising the stem for when you want to sell it on. Leave 0.5-1cm above the stem for this.

matay
    Free Member

I’ve just realised I’m trying to sell a fork in the classifieds today with a really short steerer

I give you 5 dolla sweet cheeks

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Slamming definitely looks good, but given that most people don’t ride custom frames it would seem to me that some/many slammers must be slightly compromising their bike fit.

Or do they fastidiously research their ideal head tube height, reach, etc to ensure their bikes don’t require any fine fit adjustment? It must be hard giving up the option of the frames they may prefer on the basis that the manufacturer doesn’t make a frame that fits them so exactly – yeah, I’m sure they don’t buy the Pinarello or whatever regardless.

njee20
    Free Member

^^^ what?

I started with 25mm of spacers under my stem, I gradually dropped it, my power didn’t drop, I went faster. When I got another road bike I matched the bar height as close as I could. Even slammed that is higher because of the tendancy toward daft long head tubes.

Anyone who does it because it looks good is a moron.

finbar
    Free Member

I’ve done it because I bought a bargain Scott CR1 Hmx Pro blah blah blah (anyway, £2.2k frame for £475) which is a sportive frame with a 16cm headtube. So to get a racy position I need to slam it and run a negative rise stem.

dantsw13

Are we talking road or mtb? XC racer or general trail riding?

londonerinoz
    Free Member

My point is that the spacers provide one of the opportunities to fine tune the fit, just as you did with your previous frame. If you’re lucky enough that your best fit is slammed, then great, but if it’s not, then I think we agree people shouldn’t do it just because it looks good. I’d also suggest using spacers is a lot easier and cheaper than changing stems and perhaps bars to achieve the same fit.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Stem slamming…..’ is closed to new replies.