Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stem shims, is a 1mm shim possible?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

My elderly aspiring touring friend bought some Brompton butterfly bars. They didn’t match his stem diameter. He popped back to the shop to be told his stem diameter was 25mm and his bars 24mm.

Both are dimensions I’ve never heard either of before. He was told he’d need a 1mm shim.

Does such a thing exist or are the dimensions wrong?

The stem was similar to this. It was fitted to a Dawes Karakum, I’m not certain of the year model.

tthew

Beer can is about 0.35mm thick, wrapped right around makes about 0.7mm. Binder bolt should take up the slack.

If not, nothing lost!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Doh ds like it might be best to have a proper measure up and see what’s what
    But cans do make good shims and most drink cans are coated to resist rusting

james
    Free Member

the page on the sheldon brown site is interesting. So many that are so close to one another
    Also interesting that 31.8mm-22.2mm (ie 31.8mm MTB bars) and less so the easton 35mm-22.2mm sizes aren’t on there. Content getting dated on therE?

Northwind

You need a special shim from the private stock of Baron Alfred Krupp

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

But cans do make good shims and most drink cans are aluminium which doesnt rust

FTFY…

orangeboy
    Free Member

Steel drink cans are thinker IMO just depends how much shim you need

zbonty

Shim bodgeing is the way forward.
    I managed to shim a lower headset cup with a beer can ok, on a flared head tube.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stem shims, is a 1mm shim possible?’ is closed to new replies.