Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Stem Measurement – How?
  • Wiksey
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking that stem length is from centre of bars to centre of steerer tube?
    What is an easy way to find the rise angle? Stick a book against the headtube and guess?

Thanks

cynic-al
    Free Member

correct on both counts!

thomthumb
    Free Member

have you heard of a gentleman name pythagorus? he has a theorem which may help you. 😀

nina
    Free Member

i tend to just look at the numbers written on them…

swoosh
    Free Member

is the length measured along the length of the stem or along the horizontal?

i.e. would a 90mm 25 degree stem not have as much reach as a 0degree 90mm stem?

zaskar
    Free Member

Centre to centre of the circle centre as said.

O-O

The angle is just an angle of the rise or drop depending which way you use it.

Did you pay attention in Maths at school? geometry? Hope this helps:

Get a piece of paper and draw a right angled triangle.

Do one straight at 90mm from a fixed point then using the fixed point draw the same line at 25 degrees and see for yourself which is longer.

I would think the hypotanuse is the 25 degree angle and adjacent the 0 degrees as the hypotunuse is usually longer than the adjacent to allow the two ends to join and form the opposite triangle to form.

Do them at the same lengths and see where the opposite side meets, you should find the 0 degrees is further away from the headset and your arms.

Using a 25 degree rise will bring the bars closer to you. A 25 degree drop will be further away from you.

Hope it helps and my spelling is crap sorry about that!

Try and see what happens as I could be eaily wrong as I have had 4 beers over lunch with a collegue and she’s driving me home soon.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Stem Measurement – How?’ is closed to new replies.