• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jimw.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stem help please
  • dubber71
    Free Member

HEADSET CUBE No. 10 tapered, top zero-stack 1 1/8″ (OD 44mm), bottom zero-stack 1 1/2″ (OD 56mm)
    STEM CUBE Performance, 6°
    HANDLEBAR CUBE Rise Trail Bar, 700mm

Hi all I’ve just bought a cube 27.5 ltd SL and I’m after changing the stem and maybe. The bars depending on funds, I’m after Thomson to match up with my seatpost.. I’m am clueless of which one I need to buy as I’m not that technically minded

nickjb
    Free Member

Are you changing them because you want a different length or just for looks? Personally I’d avoid Thomson stems. Overpriced and prone to cracking on the faceplate.

benpinnick

You’ll want an X4 in the length you want, probably a 10 degree rise one, in 1 1/8 & 31.8 flavour.

dubber71
    Free Member

nickjb..both really to be honest..
    Be pinning
    Like this one?
    http://www.ubyk.co.uk/thomson-elite-318-x4-mtb-stem-black/7701

nickjb
    Free Member

Google cracked Thomson stem for hundreds of results.

tomhoward

Yeah, though bear in mind, that’s the 50mm one, the longer ones look different.

50mm

More than 50mm

Ive 3 in current use, no cracks yet.

oliverracing

Personally I’d avoid Thomson stems. Overpriced and prone to cracking on the faceplate.

+1

My mums bikes headset kept coming loose, we changed the star nut, tried grip paste, changed the headset, even swapped my forks onto her bike but it kept coming loose, so we changed the stem to a on-one CNC stem, and it’s been faultless! Unlike Thomson seatposts (which are excellent) their stems are pretty terrible in my opinion.

jimw
    Free Member

For a bit of balance, I have had Thomson stems for years and never had any issues with any of them. Always stayed tight, never cracked.
    However, I am now using Easton Havens and they are also excellent and very easy to setup correctly with their top lock system. They don’t have any rise though. My preferred combination is Haven bars and stems, the bars are just the right shape for me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stem help please’ is closed to new replies.