Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Steerer tube slipping in the crown
  • barrykellett
    Free Member

My mate has a set of Toras which either through man handling or a bad crash are basically ready for the bin now.

The steerer tube slips in the crown of the fork meaning the bars and stem turn out of line with the front wheel when riding down a trail.

Is there anything that could be done to the fork to get the steerer and crown solidly "welded" together again? It takes the amount of torque generated by holding the wheel between your legs and pushing & pulling with not that much force on the handlebar ends to get it to slip. He's already replaced them but I was just wondering what could be done with the old ones other than sold for spares

PJM1974
    Free Member

There's nothing you can really do aside from buying a new crown assembly and getting it fitted. This is quite an expensive exercise so for a pair of Toras you'd be better off just dumping them in the skip or breaking for spares.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shirley a perfect job for loctite?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If it really is that loose you should be able to press the steerer out (or part way out) plenty of high grade locktite and reassemble.

You are certain its not the stem turning on the steerer?

midlifecrashes

As well as the loctite you could drill it and put a nut and bolt in.

wwaswas

bit of chewing gum around the bottom of the steerer tube where it meets the crown and the jobs a good 'un.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Midlifecrashes – I was wondering about that but scared of weakening the crown too much.

fadda

Duct tape – surely that'll do it?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If it really is that loose you should be able to press the steerer out (or part way out) plenty of high grade locktite and reassemble.

You're having a girrafe, right? 😯

Junk it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What would be wrong with that PP? The steerer is stepped at teh bottom so cannot pull out upwards. Loctite is commonly used in this sort of application. You are not removing strength from it in any manner. The steerer is only a press / interference fit in the crown anyway.

bassspine
    Free Member

surely if it's an interference fit it will scrape off the loctite as you press it together?

are you sure it's not the stem slipping?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bassspine – enough should remain on the stepped area and in any areas where the fit is slack perhaps? Worth trying to me anyway

stom
    Free Member

If the Steerer's twisting in the crown you've plastically deformed the crown or steerer tube.

Applying Loctite is only going to be a short term fix – if the crowns already deformed it's going to deform further under load! Loctite is meant for bonding components together with carefully controlled tolerance's, not for sticking together effectively bent components.

Drilling and bolting the components together is even worse. Your then removing material from the fork crown when you drill it(an already highly stressed component), and effectively creating a stress riser(weak point) in the component from which micro cracks can propagate and cause structural component failure.

Persoanlly i'd put the forks in the bin ASAP otherwise you could be heading for a really nasty accident if the crown or steerer tube fracture.(i've witnessed failures of this type at a race a few years ago. Trust me you don't want it to happen to you it -it was pretty grim!)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Makes sense stom.

bassspine
    Free Member

TJ, maybe…. although from what OP's saying

through man handling or a bad crash are basically ready for the bin now.

I might be too scared =8-0

br
    Free Member

So fix it and then sell on?

👿

wwaswas

if it were me I'd be sawing the steerer off flush with the crown and then sellign them on.

Mistere
    Free Member

is it worth the risk for a little over £100? bin or warranty them.

and TJ, stop postulating and trying to sound authoritative. I'm sure you mean well but someone might mistake your baseless opinions for fact. Its not your face that's at risk here.

trail_rat
    Free Member

wouldnt ride them my self now – thus not gonna make any suggestions on how to fix em ….

barrykellett
    Free Member

He'd already replaced them before I posted with some nice Vanillas, I was wondering if there was anything that could be done but was pretty sure they were never to be used again.

Definitely was not the stem moving, 100% it was the steerer slipping in the crown.

Not to worry. Will probably sell as spares.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Steerer tube slipping in the crown’ is closed to new replies.