Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Steerer too short! Options?
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

So after selling my Stumpy frame and building up my Bird Aeris, the steerer on my forks is right on the limit with no spacers.

The head tube on the Bird is quite a bit bigger than the Stumpy.

This has left the front end a bit lower than I would like!

Apart from a new CSU, have I any other options?

scotroutes

If it’s only the bar height that is lower than you like then how about a stem with a bit of a rise in it – or riser bars?

onandon
    Free Member

Riser bars or zero stem or even flip a stem with more rise/ fall.

njee20
    Free Member

It can’t leave the front end lower than it was, you just have fewer spacers…

johnw1984
    Free Member

Due to the size of the frame, I’m running a 35mm stem with a Renthal Fat Bar Carbon.

Can you get a higher rise stem at 35mm? Also quite like my bars and think they are 20mm rise currently. Might be a bit costly to change them (still cheaper than a new CSU I suppose!)

I’ve put up with it for a couple of months now, but after 3-4 hours I get a bit of a stiff neck. Was just thinking higher handlebars might help.

njee20, sorry I don’t understand what you mean. I want to get the bars a bit higher, not the front end higher if that makes sense 🙂

jmatlock
    Free Member

You have just swapped spacers for head tube. Bars will be the same height.

Your stem is probably 35mm long, not high.

You could sell the 20mm bars and buy some 38mm raise Renthal Carbons.

johnw1984
    Free Member

But it’s a different frame and totally different geo/size.

It’s a lot longer than the Stumpy and the reach etc is different. What I mean is what worked on the Stumpy, isn’t working on this, but the steerer is too short for even 1 spacer.

Sorry about the rubbish explanation 🙂

I know, the stem is 35mm long. What I was asking is if 35mm stems were available with more rise due to how short they are?

mick_r

Clamp on steerer extender? Not very gnarrrr, looks pants but very cheap and they do actually work. Would at least let you know how the fit works out before splashing out on new CSU / bars / fork etc.

I work with a heavy 6’7″ Wigan knuckledragger who needed one to make his bike “fit” and hasn’t managed to break it yet…….

timba
    Free Member

If you do a comparison here, you can see what’s likely to be close. A Ritchey 30deg 60mm stem might be somewhere near??

twisty

Check the height of the steerer part of the replacement stem to your current one also, you don’t want it to be much taller than your current one.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Bars will only be the same distance from the front axle. Stack, HT angle and bottom bracket height will determine how high the bars are in relation to the rider. Some other factors will also come into play to some degree. Suspension sag fr/rr, seat tube angle and so on.

Ate you likely to lose a load of cash selling yours and buying another fork (sh or new) with longer steerer? Or as suggested, higher rise bars or stem.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Cheers all for the suggestions.

I was always wary of the steerer extenders to be honest, not sure why.

Twisty, when I bought this one, I tried to make sure it wasn’t as tall as my Renthal one I have! Guess it wasn’t low enough 🙂

Like the look of the Mondraker stem, but bloody hell they’re pricey!

Ghostlymachine, There’s a few factors for sure! Missus has said she’d have my fork and I should get a new one, so that’s an option. Steerer should be long enough for her.

That comparison tool is handy! The stack height on my current stem is 33mm and that’s right on the limit. My Renthal stem has a 6deg rise (50mm), but the stack height is 40mm, so it’s too much.

br
    Free Member

You have just swapped spacers for head tube. Bars will be the same height

This, but if you really mean:

But it’s a different frame and totally different geo/size.

Then I’d have thought it could be a combination of options, why not buy a cheap high-rise bar to see if actually having the bars ‘nearer’ you actually works – it could be you need to move the saddle forward, or slightly change the angle, or roll the bars or…

johnw1984
    Free Member

Good points b r.

I’ve tried rolling the bars back a bit and that did help. Saddle is another option, I think I could move that forward a little bit and try it.

I’ll try all the cheaper options first before I do anything else.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

And steerer extensions, at best, are an extra point of failure, creaks and being a pain in the arse.

At worst they will damage steerers. And teeth.

mick_r

For short term comparison / tweaking of bike fit, stuff like steerer extenders cause no problems whatsoever. I’m not suggesting he keeps it on forever or goes downhill racing with it!

Paul-B

I had a similar problem and after researching stem stack heights (I think there was a Ragley stem that has a low stack height) I ended up buying some s/h forks and selling my old ones. Pretty much broke even and the bonus was that I got rid of the dreadful early Fox 34 CTD’s 😛

johnw1984
    Free Member

Paul B, keep saying things like that and I’ll end up getting the go ahead for shiny new forks! 🙂

I don’t think I’ll try an extender as I’ve just started getting better at jumping and started getting fond of my face!

I think I’ll end up living with it until I can get some new forks I think. Missus will have the Yari off me and I might try something else…

steve_b77
    Free Member

johnw1984 – Member
    Good points b r.

I’ve tried rolling the bars back a bit and that did help. Saddle is another option, I think I could move that forward a little bit and try it.

Are you sure it’s not too big?

Cheap risers would be a good bet to get it right, flog them and then get the ones you want

5thElefant
    Free Member

You don’t want a 35mm stem with more rise. You want a longer stem with more rise (assuming you want the same reach).

Figure out where you want the bars and have a play with this: http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Drop your saddle and fit shorter crank arms?

Same effect but at the other end of the problem

🙂

philjunior
    Free Member

What njee said.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ve had a go at the stem calculator thingie. The frame seems spot on fit-wise, the only problem i have is I just wanted to raise the bars a bit to see if it’s more comfortable.

I’ll try some of the cheaper suggestions first and go from there.

philwarren11
    Free Member

What headset?

I had this issue when i went from my stumpy to my alpine. I found the lowest stack headset possible and went with riser bars.

dimitriscsd
    Free Member

Hey johnw1984,

I just sent you an email. I might have a solution for you.

Cheers

johnw1984
    Free Member

philwarren11, it’s a Cane Creek headset with a very low stack 🙂

Trailrider Jim, I’ve actually got that stem saved in my favorites!

wiggles
    Free Member

I know someone who uses one of these upside down

https://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=2629

andyl
    Free Member

What length fork? If pikes and 150mm you could fit a 160mm air shaft for 10mm extra height. High rise bars would be my answer. I assume the reach is increased over your previous bike with the same forks as the bars will be the same height as with that bike.

You could always go with one of these abominations http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RaceFace-Diabolus-D2-Stem-2012-Black-31-8-35mm-Zero-Rise-BRAND-NEW-/260946316058?hash=item3cc19ccb1a:g:fB4AAOSwyQtV5LHy

johnw1984
    Free Member

They are 150mm Yari. I don’t fancy going 160mm on the front (bike is designed for 140/150).

I’ll make a few adjustments I think then eventually just pass this one to the missus and get a new fork 🙂

I’v already got a 0deg 35mm stem. Plus the stack height on that is too high to fit what little steerer I have.

nairnster
    Free Member

Did you not measure all this before purchasing?

jamj1974

Ghostlymachine, There’s a few factors for sure! Missus has said she’d have my fork and I should get a new one, so that’s an option. Steerer should be long enough for her.

Problem solved surely!

johnw1984
    Free Member

Nairnster, I did (sort of).

The steerer was already cut for my Stumpjumper. I purchased the Bird frame in XL and mistakenly looked at the head tube size for the Large. My heart sank when I put the steerer through the headtube!

I bought a stem with the lowest stack i could find and it is literally on the limit (possibly 1-2mm too short currently). There’s about a 4mm gap between the top cap and steerer.

jam, I’m hovering over the buy button on some 2017 Fox Factory 34 150mm…. I’m going to try the Yari on my Wife’s bike first, then I’ll make a decision.

Speshpaul

There’s a few factors for sure! Missus has said she’d have my fork and I should get a new one, so that’s an option. Steerer should be long enough for her.
    End of thread.

I’ll get flamed for this but, I had the same issue a while back, but I had kept (well not tidied up) the steerer off cut. so cut a nice even piece off that with a pipe cutter and fitted it in place with a deep expander for carbon forks. I had planned to bond it in place but it never moved. the stem clamped either side of the join. And I don’t recall dying.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Speshpaul, not to sound “gnarly” etc, but what sort of riding do you do? Do you do biggish drops or jumps/rock gardens etc as well as normal trail riding?

I only ask because I guess it depends on how much strain is going to be put on that area.

mildbore

When I gave my son a bike he fou d the steerer too short and just placed a length of tube on top, clamped it up and rode it for about a year without any problems s. His brother teased him about “groundbreaking split steerer technology” and he used to treat the bike way beyond it’s intended use (sc superlight) without any issues

Northwind

I won back a few mm by swapping headset parts around- some are very tall, and compatability for top caps is actually pretty good these days.

cloudnine
    Free Member

What headset cover have you got? Might be able to gain 10mm or so with a lower stack cover. You might also find a lower stack stem? Combo of the 2 above may give you the extra you need….

johnw1984
    Free Member

It’s already a very low stack Cane Creek and I bought the lowest stack 35mm length stem I could find.

Just treated myself to a new 2017 Fox 34 to solve it 🙂

The Yari is now attached to my Wife’s bike (so she’s happy).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Steerer too short! Options?’ is closed to new replies.