Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • steel – road – disc – ?
  • oxym0r0n

Enjoying riding my day 1 disc – now I fancy a versatile roadie with gears and discs. But why so many press-fit bbs??
    I may be a traditionalist but that discounts the salsa colossal and the new kite. What else is there out there apart from genesis offerings that will take a carbon fork?

Thanks

Looking ~ sub £800 frameset ish

slugwash
    Free Member

I’ve got Kona Honky Inc and that’s a very versatile and comfy, carbon forked road bike. The don’t make them any more but there’s one in the classifieds at the moment. (the seller’s suggesting it’s a CX bike but it’s not. The geometry is road and the rear tyre clearance is limited)

woody2000

Kaffenback? Full bike for less than £800!

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

If you want steel, multipurpose and disc buy a Croix de Fer or equilibrium disc frame and fork. Then buy yourself a Carbon Whisky fork to stick on it. I’ve got a Croix de Fer 931 and soon as the weather gets better I’m sticking some road tyres on it and I’m saving for a carbon disc fork to put on it.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Surly Straggler

gee
    Free Member

What’s wrong with pressfit? The BB86 on the Colossal is the same as the one on my Warbird and that’s done thousands of miles through pouring rain and grinding mud with no problems. I think PF30 is crap as you can’t get Shimano BBs – BB86/92 is better as you can…

RustySpanner

dirtyrider – Member

Surly Straggler

Have you seen the price?

It’s a bog standard cromo frame with a decent set of midrange components for £1500.

I do like Surly bikes, but really, how could you live with yourself?

Those Honky Inc full bikes from a year or two back are looking like they were very good value, as does the Kaffenback.

D0NK

But why so many press-fit bbs??

agreed, was quite liking the look of the day one 853 until I spotted the BB.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Dare I say Salsa Vaya? 😉

Ben_H

I ride a Cotic X at the mo – and I’m waiting for Cotic’s replacement, which is just about to be released (March).

scud
    Free Member

Another Cotic X owner (nicknamed the Snot Rocket) nice forgiving if not light ride, with Kinesis carbon fork and Hope V-twin hydraulic brakes.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

I love my salsa vaya but am looking to change to something with a more racey geometry.

Although its used for commuting and training around the countryside, I still like to have the odd sprint uphill and the 450mm long chain stays make it feel sluggish and cumbersome.

Enigma evoke with just enough cleanance for a 25c and a guard would be my pick although enigma could also do their etape steel frame with disc tabs.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Have you seen the price?

straggler frame only price aint too bad

BadlyWiredDog

faustus

I thought about this route for a long time, as I loved the thought of a classic looking steel road bike, but with discs.

In the end though, I bought an alu disc cross frame (pinnacle Arkose 3) very cheaply. This is because the steel frames, though very lovely, were really quite heavy and expensive in comparison. You have to spend a lot to get a decent weight. I spent £110 and got a 1.8 kg frame. Not that light but builds up a lot lighter than a steel equivalent. (2.1kg for an equilibrium disc frame, £549 – Volare 853 non-disc 1.9kg for £1100!) I didn’t want to end up with a road bike that weighed the same as my mtb!

oxym0r0n

Soma looks nice, although looks like a standard headtube (lots of carbon forks seem to be tapered)

Dare I say Salsa Vaya?

Looked at that (El Mariachi fanboy)but not quite racy enough

agreed, was quite liking the look of the day one 853 until I spotted the BB.

Same, apart from they need to move the brake to the cs as well, as I end up undoing the brake to remove the rear wheel.

Surly Straggler

Something a little bit more special looking and special tubing I think

What’s wrong with pressfit? The BB86 on the Colossal is the same as the one on my Warbird and that’s done thousands of miles through pouring rain and grinding mud with no problems. I think PF30 is crap as you can’t get Shimano BBs – BB86/92 is better as you can…

Granted, I was looking at the 2013 one, as there are some good offers on at the moment (and it is blue like my other bikes!)

I think the X replacement might be the one to go for, depending upon spec as I’ve been impressed by the quality of my Solaris – anyone got any news on this at all??

Edit: Also quite like the look of the Transition Rapture but would have a redundant steel fork and have to pay extra for a carbon one…

Conqueror
    Free Member

I’m interested in this too…

Money no object it’d be the Salsa Colossal Ti

But back to reality and the Transition Rapture is probably in pole position, due to the flexibility of the dropouts mainly and reasonable weight etc for the price

The Cotic sounds interesting though

parkesie
    Free Member

Have nosey at volagi.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’ve spent the last few months having a clear out of my old stuff to fund a colossal ti build
    But still a little way off and you lot are not helping

velomanic
    Free Member

Have nosey at volagi.

Good shout, very nice!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘steel – road – disc – ?’ is closed to new replies.