Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Steel Hardtails
  • johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I had a blue pig as my only bike for ages. It’s an absolutely brilliant do it all bike. With a 160mm lyrik up front it never felt out of its depth on anything at all. My friend now has it and he loves it as much as I did. Get one! (Although the Bigwig does have my curiosity).

John

flaps
    Free Member

I know there are a lot of On One haters on here but i’ve had this 15 months now and still really like it.

leythervegas
    Free Member

This is actually not helping at all. I really thought the consensus would be that they are heavy and people have them as a 2nd or 3rd bike. Didn’t realise the love.

Looks like my choice is between Ragley Blue Pig, Ragley Piglet, Bird Zero or second hand Onza Jackpot. May even consider a 45650b as they do look good and are great value.

Some great looking bikes on here though.

flaps
    Free Member

No its definitely ‘need’. I ‘want’ to keep my canyon but for various reasons can’t. These include not being able to fit my sons bike seat on due to the rear shock.

Just another thing to consider, if you’ve got a rear child carrier to fit, make sure you take a look at the location of the cables on the seat tube, a 1×11(or 10) might make more sense then you’ve no front derailleur cable to squash by mounting the seat (assuming it’s the same type as my wife uses).

slimjim78
    Free Member

Had a 45650b, they are noticeably heavier than an 853 frame – but – when on the move they feel bombproof. Amazing tracking as the front end is super stiff. Beats the wrists up a bit as a result, but worth it for the steering.

Great value frame, almost throwaway pricing. Would be nice to have a bolt-thru rear end though.

flaps
    Free Member

Despite it being steel it still feels lighter than my mate’s alu Boardman HT. I’ve not had them both on the scales though so can’t say for sure.

binners

Just to add to the steel hardtail luuuurve, heres my P7. I absolutely bloody love this bike! It doesn’t feel heavy at all. Far from it. My extremely nice 140mm full suss Cannonade Trigger regularly gets overlooked, with me preferring to take this out instead. Steel frames are just far nicer to ride than alloy ones IMHO, and they just look ‘right’

Have you had a look at the new P7. They look lovely! I really really want one, but the ‘I want a new Orange P7 to replace my present Orange P7’ is not going down well with the committee

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Your lawn needs a trim Binners.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Love my steel hardtail… it’s the bike I ride every time. My mate got one too after seeing how much fun I was having compared to the full sussers… for some reason a hardtail makes me feel like a kid again – zipping around pinging off everything…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

This

Is within a pound of this

I’ve been riding the full suss for the last 5 weeks, but I’ve been missing riding the hardtail. It’s my go to bike for local riding. The full suss makes my local riding ‘too easy’.

honourablegeorge

Not sure I’d give up my Last for ut, but this looks pretty ace

Liteville H-3 B+ Review

funkmasterp

Mainly ridden steel hardtails and currently have a Transition Trans AM 29er. Didn’t get on with it at first, but after lowering the forks to 120mm, shortening the stem and fitting a low riser bar it’s brilliant. Not felt under biked on anything and it’s also currently my only bike.

It weighs a lot, but I honestly don’t notice it and the bike just feels solid, confidence inspiring and tough. The only thing that would convince me to get rid of it would be a Kingdom Vendetta (or another steel bike when I get bored). I honestly feel no need to own any more bikes and I used to have three. Not owned an Alu bike for years.

kayla1
    Free Member

edenvalleyboy spake thus-

Love my steel hardtail… it’s the bike I ride every time. My mate got one too after seeing how much fun I was having compared to the full sussers… for some reason a hardtail makes me feel like a kid again – zipping around pinging off everything…

Yep. I’ve binned my FS off and now just have a steel hardtail and a couple of pairs of wheels for different stuff- one with tyres for doing skids and wheelies and the other for doing sweet jumps 😀 😆

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Of the many bikes I’ve owned, the only one I regret selling was a 2011 Kona Unit, rode it SS or geared, every now and then I ask the buyer if he wants to resell it back to me.

New Units have a more trail geometry than old ones AFAIK.

If you want to go fully rigid I’d explore the 27,5+ path, the Genesis Tarn 10 is damn sexy.

takisawa2

They will have to prise my Niner from my cold, dead hands.
    Even now, 5yrs on, it still rides like nothing else I’ve ever tried.
    Supple yet lovely responsive ride. It just feels more lively than anything ally that I’ve tried.

leythervegas
    Free Member

That blue pig I’m looking at is over 31lb. Thats heavier than my Canyon! I know its not all about weight, its about how it feels. Still tempted though.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I sacked off my 160mm gnarrpoon for a Ti Switchback because I kept on riding the steel Switchback instead of my Banshee because for 95% of my riding it suited me better. The Stanton was surprisingly light.

aether531
    Free Member

I never thought I’d get one, but strolled into Recycle in Penge, and there was a Generation, 1 year old and mint, exact same spec as the one I’d been gawping at in MBUK.

Did exactly what a steel ht is supposed to, plush ride, soaked up chatter, and pinged me down the trail. went everywhere 2 gears faster, because it always rewarded another kick of the pedals.

Lovely bike @nedrapier. Funnily enough, the first Dekerf I saw in the flesh was in Recycle. I loved that shop and bought traded a few bikes in there, last one was a Yeti Ultimate. Not a good looking bike, but great to ride.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m another who doesn’t ‘get’ the On One hating. My evo 2 got nicked, so I got a 45650b in the totally awesome ‘raw’, with a dropper for less than £1,200. I love this bike. It needs riding quick to get the best out of it because it is so capable, but I can’t hold that against it. Steel hardtails rule!

Clean lines, narrow tubes and a buzzy rather than thumpy ride quality.

burko73

I traded an orange 5 for a genesis latitude 26″ 853 a few yrs ago. Great bike, lovely zing and nice looking. It was a great alternative to a soul at the time and I’m really pleased with it. Spe nt the last few yrs commuting ( just up and down the street on a single speed ’93 orange clock work that I’ve had since er, 1993 with big apples and I love it. Tempted to go rigid on my latitude.

Just been dabbling with a rigid fattie which has tempted me to go rigid on the latitude…

fruitbat

There’s not enough Soul in this thread so here are two –

We changed from 100% Aluminium to 100% Steel earlier this year – also big changes (for us at least) from 26″ to 650B, 3 x 9 to 2 x 10 transmission and some additional slackness in head angle.

So far we are very happy. BTW bikes weigh in at around 26lb.

leythervegas
    Free Member

Finally got sorted. Went for most of your advice and went steel. Mainly due to the fact I have always wanted to try one as well as seeing a bargain that I couldn’t turn down.

Its an Onza Jackpot chro-mo frame with Hope wheels, 140mm Revelations, XT brakes and Sram 1×11 gears. Think its the ideal setup for me, the Spectral I had before was brilliant but only for what it was designed for not the riding I do 95% of the time. Hope your’e right about how plush they are, got some big rides planned. Will report back.

buckster
    Free Member

^ That ought to do it! Looks great to me!

matt_outandabout

That looks lush…

(Even better in the SPARKLY PURPLE their show bike is in….)

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Looks mint

Looking at the payoff (29er version of the Jackpot) as a 40th present for myself, would be interested to hear your thoughts on the ride

BillOddie

What’s this? A steel hardtail thread?

Well…I’ve had a few…
    :breaths in:
    KonaLavaDome (no pics)
    SpecializedStumpjumper
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/cPVJ]StumpySS[/url] by Dan and Claire Lees, on Flickr
    DialledBikesPrinceAlbert
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/rMxSm]IMG_1658.JPG[/url] by Dan and Claire Lees, on Flickr
    DialledBikesLove/Hate
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/F4owa]Rebuilt Love/Hate[/url] by Dan and Claire Lees, on Flickr
    RagleyBluePig
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/9UEdF9]Peaks pig[/url] by Dan and Claire Lees, on Flickr
    SurlyKarateMonkey
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/rQ1c3q]Pre HONC shakedown/prep ride for both me and the #surlybikes #karatemonkey[/url] by Dan and Claire Lees, on Flickr
    SurlyKrampus
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/rssFAT]Current Krampus build.[/url] by Dan and Claire Lees, on Flickr
    ChromagRootdown
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/JKK9xW]2016-07-31_07-36-03[/url] by Dan and Claire Lees, on Flickr
    :breaths out:

They were/are all lovely. Some had that whippy steel feel, some didn’t. When you start slapping 140 or 150mm forks and 2.4 (or even Plus) tyres on the frame, that whippy feel doesn’t really make any difference.

OP – You’ll notice there is a Blue Pig in the list, was one of the Mk1 frames. Fun bike and very fast pointed down. Very good climber too on steep stuff. However it was a bit of a chugger on the flatter trails.

I made the jump from 26 to 29 and to be honest I’m not sure I would go back to smaller wheels on a hardtail.
    That being said I’m not convinced by 29+ for hard riding as the tyres (specifically the sidewalls) weren’t up to it. 2.3 or 2.4 (with a decent sidewall) on a 29er is fine for me.

The current bike, Chromag Rootdown is definitely the best bike of lot, as you would hope. It feels like it takes the best bits of the Ragley and Karate Monkey, sprinkles in some Whistler magic bear poo and distills them down into a very very good all round package. That being said it does benefit from a set of Pike RCT3 on the front. The ability to make the spring rate more progressive is a boon on a hardtail. Dropper posts really help too.

leythervegas
    Free Member

Some beauties there pal. Glad these are so popular, I wasn’t keen on being too “niche”.

binners

That looks bloody lovely!

leythervegas
    Free Member

Did you get any luck with getting this years P7 binners or did the committee stand firm?

binners

Its very much a work in progress. 😉

Bregante

I’m somewhat besotted with my Solaris which I only acquired on Saturday from Rogan Josh on here. It’s my second Solaris having always regretted selling my Mk1 a few years ago.
    Hopefully I’ll be out on it later for the third day in a row.

Anyway. Here it is…

lfcrik
    Free Member

funkmaster p, I may be selling my vendetta if this is of interest to you (or anyone else for that matter!)

leythervegas
    Free Member

Thestabiliser – Well first impressions are really good, rides very nicely and feels much lighter than my Canyon especially when accelerating. Frame feels plush and confidence inspiring. Like it. Would be a real flyer as a 29er.

leythervegas
    Free Member

Need some advice on tyre combinations for my Onza Jackpot. Currently have slaughter 2.3 front and butcher 2.3 rear both tubeless and its perfect for my local trails. However when I go to the lakes next month to do the borrowdale bash will I die? Obviously I could do with more grip at the back but don’t want to lose how it feels to ride now. What combos are people using on rockier rides?

honourablegeorge

You have Slaughter front and Butcher rear?

wl
    Free Member

My 2016 P7 is bloody mint. Still, current safety regs mean that steel frames are now overbuilt, so the difference in ride between steel and aluminium probably isn’t what it used to be. New Orange Crush is aluminium and is supposed to be surprisingly comfy.

leythervegas
    Free Member

Whoops! No, other way round, well spotted George

honourablegeorge

Right… was figuring as much since you talked about needing grip out back. Purgatory?

Finding the Minion SS(slaughter equivalent) surprisingly capable…. might ger away with it as you are

leythervegas
    Free Member

Just found a slash in my rear tyre so forced to replace it. Gone with your recommendation George – a Purgatory. Lighter and grippier according to all the reviews and feedback.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

When are you posting a picture of it?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Steel Hardtails’ is closed to new replies.