Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Steel frames – do they bounce?
  • honourablegeorge

Getting the hang of my Soul, hit a small drop last night (about two feet). When I landed, the back of the bike sort of kicked up in the air, as if the rear of the bike was springing up into the air – did I Imagine that, or is that the norm with steel?

grantus
    Free Member

funnily enough – i have built up an old steel raleigh road frame into a fixed gear trainer and sometimes it feels really weird – almost as though the rear triangle is moving differently from the front??

dunno if this is the “steel is real” feedback phenomenon or if i’m due a catastrophic frame failure lol!

have noticed something similar with my inbred compared to alu bikes ive had

honourablegeorge

I dunno – it’s ages since I rode a hardtail, and I’d have been gingerly rolling a two foot drop when I was. Was an odd feeling… all part of the fun, I guess.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Yes, I crash on mine all the time and it springs back up everytime. 😆
    No seriously my inbred has a lot of spring in it compared to any alu framed hardtail I have owned.

MrSmith
    Free Member

they don’t bounce as much as a tyre.

lipseal
    Free Member

I’d say flex not bounce. My mmbop was hard going.

Macavity
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru

It’s more a case of the damping on FS stopping them bouncing as much. Bike tyres, wheels and frames are all pretty elastic in collisions (as long as they don’t go past their failure limit!)

donsimon
    Free Member

Interesting vid Macavity, damned ugly bikes though and probably better for an MTB frame than road.

letmetalktomark

I’d liken my Soul to being very soft tail like.

Rear end does seem to flex (in a good way) coupled with a layback post gives a strange but reassuringly smooth ride.

Nowt down to the skinny 45psi tyre too 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Steel frames – do they bounce?’ is closed to new replies.