Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Steel fat bike frame – where from
  • Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Other than a pugsley what are my options for a steel fat bike frame?

Sandman looks nice but availability and communication seem a bit hit and miss. I’ve heard a few rumors of others but nothing seems to be actually available.

Ta

paul78
    Free Member

Why Steel ?? .. just curious

Used to be Wildfire fat bikes but don’t know if they are about anymore.

I think the 9 zero 7 alu frames are hard to beat

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Possibly (probably) in my head but I prefer the ride of steel. All my other bikes are steel. My only go on a fat bike has been a few rides on a ti fatback, bit worried about splashing out on a 907 or aluminium fatback to find it feels very stiff.

paul78
    Free Member

Ah okay..

Depends what you plan to use the bike for … for snow/sand doubt you would notice the ride difference between the materials ..

whats intended use ?? all round trail bike ??

where you based??

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Yup, all round trail bike and a little sand, based in western Australia so not much chance of snow

paul78
    Free Member

Well there is at least one Sandman steel frame in Australia as my friend took one home from Europe last year…

shaggy

Conrad from Sandman is away at the Mega Avalanche at the moment. I really like my Gobi, much lighter than the Pug. But value for money and availability the Pug is hard to beat…

Wildfire have stopped building but IIRC there is a steel Fatback now.

There are lots of custom options- Vicious? http://viciouscycles.com/frames-thunderwing.php3

I’d love to get Damo at Cog to do me a fat bike: http://cogbikecafe.com.au/cog-custom-bikes/

trail_rat
    Free Member

If you can tell different frame materials though a 4 inch tire your doing it wrong

Very happy with my gobi – other folk with pugs have been shocked by the lack of weight in it – even with my 100mm rims .

Aidan
    Free Member

I don’t know if they on sale to the public yet, but Greg from Speedway Cycles was on a steel Fatback at the Iditarod this year.

Might be worth getting in touch with him…

Or buy my 2nd hand Pugsley before I sell it to Paul 🙂

shaggy

I’m fairly sure they had the steel Fatbacks on the shop floor.

Selling the Pug, eh? “one careful owner” 😉

charliedontsurf

Why not a pugsley?
    But to be honest, and a steel lover, you problanly can’t appreciate the steel feel through those tyres.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

the gut who does Damo’s bikes is Ewen Gellie, really nice bloke, and very good at frame building…

cynic-al
    Free Member

The Pugsley is pretty heavy…I had a 9zero7 in aluminium, it rode well, I dmtat you’d tell the difference bar weight

toys19
    Free Member

STW at its best, ask a question, get lots of critiscism for your personal choices..
    You don’t need to justify steel mate, you just want steel, MTB is about desire, there is no actual jsutification or rationale for any of it, except for joy. So go seek what you want and ignore the naysayers.

I don’t have a clue where you would get a steel fatbike frame, I just came here to be pious and judgemental.

trail_rat
    Free Member

grow a beard , buy a welder , buy some steel tubes , choose a 3 piece suite

choose life !

one_bad_mofo

If you can afford to go custom, Mike at DeSalvo has built a few fat bikes. DeSalvo Cycles

epicyclo

You don’t notice the weight of the Pugsley while riding it.

Mine weighed nearly 40lbs with all the stuff I had on it and the only time it was a hassle was when I had to lift it over fences etc.

Anyhow there’s a new, fatter version coming out – the Moonlander with even wider tyres.

shaggy

Trev, Cogs are built in house now.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

are they? cool, Damo doing it himself now then, good effort!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Steel fat bike frame – where from’ is closed to new replies.