Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Steel experts box section or I beam
  • elma
    Free Member

I need to work out a way of supporting an overhanging roof so that i can fit folding doors.

So my quandary is which should i use which deflects more for like for like steel gauge. I much prefer box section but i know fixing into it is going to be hard.

So answers would be appreciated and anyone who can give me an idea on price would be a bonus.
    Size of box section approx 5×5 and similar i beam about 2.4m

Iain

Stoner
    Free Member

wont your building regs guy want some structural calcs to go with that?

TBF I would probably wing it too, but if I wasnt sure enough to have a crack that I had to ask some stwers then Id probably choose to ask someone else with a degree or maybe a 10m Breaststroke certificate or something….

elma
    Free Member

Sorry i should if explained that its a vertical support rather than a lintel.
    The acrow prop that is there at the mo is doing a sterling effort but is not very aesthetically pleasing.Its not a full roof either its only about 2′ pitched.

Stoner
    Free Member

Cant help – Im a luddite and I would use an oak pillar anyway 🙂

blurty

You need to explain a bit more, it’s not possible to picture the situation

Bear
    Free Member

I’d try to cantilever it so didn’t see a support?

pjm84
    Free Member

PFC

wrightyson
    Free Member

As above.

Trekster

The acrow prop that is there at the mo is doing

Why is it being supported in such a temporary way?
    Some pics may help 💡 My son may be able to suggest a solution being into structural engineering stuff 💡

footflaps

Vertical supports are normally box section (from what I’ve seen).

wrightyson
    Free Member

You’ve not seen many proper ones then 😉
    As a rule most vertical supports will be in the classic rsj format (or I beam/hbeam etc) or as pfc.
    Pfc being basically a squared off u shape.

Taff
    Free Member

Using a PFC on current extension. Used small UB on a previous one

ads-b
    Free Member

Theres nothing in a house that can’t be supported off a good old 152uc. But if you are a stwer then I recon you might want something niche, how about an asb? Bit of structural engineer humour for you. In seriousness though, unless its barely holding anything up of anything significant I wouldn’t start guessing at it if I were you. If not, then I say 152uc.

cheez0
    Free Member

are you building a centre for global trade in say, new york?

best make it conspiracy proof!

slackman99
    Free Member

For a vertical support a box section would be a better choice as its properties will be symetrical in both directions. An I beam (UB) is designed to be stronger in one plane than another. A column section (UC) would be more suited as a vertical support, but for looks, a box section looks better/less industrial and if an acrow prop is supporting at the minute, then a box section/UB/UC are all likely to be stronger. However as above, I doubt there would be anything in your house that a 152×152 UC wouldn’t support!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Steel experts box section or I beam’ is closed to new replies.