Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Steel adventure bike build for my old man – finally+sorry for the dodgy pics!
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

Some old parts mashed together for my old man.
    He loves it from riding today. At 67, he left me behind on the hills. Probably as it’s the first bike that’s new and not a rusty knackered freebie that is in dire – he’d rather spend money feeding his 2 kids and go without a new bike etc.

Yeah I posted on the Plug eBay thread but it rides sweet.

Thanks to everyone who helped answer my head scratching moment questions on here – really appreciated it!

Yes my garage is a tip (it was worse from moving house again) but you can I’m not lying about needing the space when I sell bits on classifieds lol.

andcarson
    Free Member

Lovely. What forks are they?

RustySpanner

That looks fun.
    🙂

Not normally a fan of all black bikes, but that really suits it.

Very, very nice looking frames, aren’t they?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

Had a few walkers stop and ask my old man about the bike.
    I wouldn’t mine one myself if eBay do another £20 off promotion.

The fork is a brand new Charge Plug 5 original, I think they are Tange Infinity but mine came packaged as Tange Prestige which was limited numbers in 2014.

I know some of the Plug frame buyers on here used their spare Kaffenback forks but the importers still had the Plug 5 forks after I manage to find the part number somehow.

It’s feels lighter than my Boardman CX which is 10kg

I wasn’t keen on all black (white plug 4 looks better) until I saw this:

trap6
    Free Member

Nice,id be chuffed as if my son builds me something like that when im older and more skint..well done you!!

RustySpanner

I reckon you can get away with blaaaaack on skinny tubed bikes.
    Looks too heavy otherwise.

How did he find the discs?
    😀

Yup, great thread.
    Almost a reverse JoB dad & son.
    Building a bike for your dad is such a lovely thing to do.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

He likes the brakes, after 12 mile ride they felt better than anything he’s used and they’re not fully bedded in.
    Probably helped that I cleaned them with Muc off Bicycle brake cleaner and gently sanded the pads briefly.

He’s got money to be comfortable now but would not spend it unless his ‘family’ needs it.

Like most parents, if it’s the last bit of milk, leave it for the kids breakfast, which meant a new bike for my birthday as a 14 year old teen brat and a rusty shopper frame found in the garden for him.

I didn’t want him to pass away one day with myself regretting or telling him thanks for all his sacrifices.

I got a hug from him after the ride.

He wasn’t looking forward to riding it.

Turns out he loves it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Steel adventure bike build for my old man – finally+sorry for the dodgy pics!’ is closed to new replies.