Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Steel 29er mtb with rack mounts? Does it exist?
  • neilc1881
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about giving a 29er a bash, preferably as a commute/family day out/winter bike, maybe a bit of trail centre/touring fun thrown in too. A big ask for a single bike I know, but with the number of you SS lot who are into the bikepack type adventures I was wondering if such a thing existed. (I’d want a rack rather than a frame bag for the stuff I need to carry into/out of work).

I’ve seen the Surly Karate Monkey, which has a disk mount and rack mounts (not to be used together?!) but no gears.

Thought about a nice cheap Haro Mary/On one, then get someone local to weld on the rack mounts, upgrade to a Alfine at a later date.

Any other ideas?

Cheers, Neil

Steelsreal

inbred 29er has rack mounts that can be used with the discs as they are on the chainstays..

ju

gee
    Free Member

Salsa Fargo?

GB

neilc1881
    Free Member

Aha, someone did mention this to me when I tried this yesterday, but the On-one website does’t seem to have a 29″ Inbred, was it a limited run or have the stopped them?

thanks, Neil

Joe

Surly Karate Monkeyyyyy!

neilc1881
    Free Member

Salsa Fargo, there’s a new one to me, sounds perfect… except the price at the moment.

Clink

Monkey does take gears….

Or have a look at news section on Genesis website for something new

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

On the bosses??

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-apple-green-soma-juice-29er-frame-carbon-exotics-forks-totally-mint

eBay 120730888963

Open to offers as the frame needs to go..

Steelsreal

Think On One have no stock of the steel inbred, not sure if they are going to make more, they seem focussed don their carbon frames at the mo…

Always tur up on the classifieds or ebay now and again, just sold mine for £90

Joe

KM has single speed, gears, discs and rack mounts. The new 2011 ones can run discs and racks.

andyl
    Free Member

On One mentioned July for Inbred 29ers and September for Scandals.

I think they will be swapout ones too so SS or geared.

charliedontsurf

The newer monkeys Have rack mounts above the discs. So you can use both.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Thanks folks, could be a wait till July for an on one with half an eye on the classifieds.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You can get racks that accomodate rack mounts where disc calipers foul “normal” racks – I got a Bonty for £25, works a treat.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

P Clips on the seatstays and any bike you fancy will take a rack! 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

p-clips wil take a rack, but forget about anything heavy.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Kona Unit 2-9? The old ones used to have rack mounts.

And I think all Voodoos have rack mounts too. Dambala, or Soukri (someone on here was selling a Soukri a while ago)

Sanny
    Free Member

I had the same dilemma. Looked at several options including a custom Burls but ended up with a Fargo which I’m in the process of building. Very nicely finished frame and the drop bar geometry fits the bill for me for the rides I have planned for it. The older style ones are going a little cheaper.

nedrapier

I also had the same dilemma. I plumped for a singular peregrine.

Currently set up thusly for daily commute

Race king 2.0s, and gears (1×9) arrived in the post last week, but not yet fitted. Handled pretty well on some cheeky hampstead heath singletrack as it is though.

Mudguards and rack currently being ummed and ahhed over.

Loads of possibility to set it up for different stuff, have a spin through these:
    http://flickrhivemind.net/flickr_hvmnd.cgi?search_type=Tags&photo_number=50&photo_type=250&noform=t&quicksearch=1&sort=Interestingness&textinput=singular+peregrine

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Oh yeah, forgot about the Singular. Doh!
    I’ve got one. With mudguards and rack and alfine (and dynamo lights)
    Its for sale as I don’t really need it since changing jobs and having naff all commute…

DSC_0875 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

Sanny
    Free Member

I never even considered a Peregrine. What a gob smackingly nice looking bike. Doh! I’d thought long and hard about the Gryphon but the lack of rack mounts was a deal breaker. Shame as I think the Singular’s are particularly classy looking bikes.

Sanny

nedrapier

What a gob smackingly nice looking bike

I thought so too, Sanny!

Dangerous, though. It’s started me down the road of bike tartery. I lied when I said the bikes set up as in the picture, it’s actually got 2 inch cream baloon tyres on it! Looks pretty good, but I probably need cream barwrap and a cream saddle to balance everything out. But then it won’t look right when I stick the race kings or the 28c’s on…

easyrider
    Free Member

Has anybody tried racing ‘cross on a peregrin ?
    Or even road racing it <shudder>

ampthill

Its a shame they don’t do a long top tube Peregrin for flat bars…..

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Steel 29er mtb with rack mounts? Does it exist?’ is closed to new replies.