Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Steak – bloody lovely steak…
  • I’m not a huge eater of meat – mostly chicken and bacon, but like the odd steak occasionally.

I’m far from an expert on cooking steak, but generally go for a medium – this is usually nice and pink, but no blood, which is what I want.

I had an 8oz fillet on Friday night and all started well, but by the time I got to the end, it was oozing the red stuff and my plate was a shade of crimson. Some mates said it seemed normal, others reckoned it was a bit more than you’d expect for a medium.

It was very nice – the best steak I’ve had by the way. I just get put off by blood and had to leave the last bit, as nice as it tasted.

What would you expect from a nice fillet, cooked medium?

grum
    Free Member

Shouldn’t be any blood leaking out of a medium steak, just a touch of pink in the middle.

Drac

Medium should be red with only the slightest amount of a blood a simple trace as you look into the cut. Medium rare is my choice where it should trickles a little bit of blood out. Lovely.

chambord
    Free Member

It might not have been rested properly after cooking.

manmurray

^^^^ this, but probably a bit under medium too

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Prob bit under medium, but I would cook medium like that and leave it to rest properly.

As to steak, IMO you cant beat M&S for quality flavour full steak, much better than local butchers where I live.

Drac

M&S use Scotchbeef which is the same as who Costco use too, very good beef.

Stoner
    Free Member

Its not blood, its Myoglobin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myoglobin

The Red Juice in Raw Red Meat is Not Blood

Fillet shouldnt even be cooked IMO, I love fillet raw, carpaccio.
    If it must be cooked, then put the pan on a high eat and eat the steak in another room 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Fillet shouldnt even be cooked IMO, I love fillet raw, carpaccio.
    If it must be cooked, then put the pan on a high eat and eat the steak in another room

I beg to differ, my brother who’s a Senior Chef De Partie in a Michelin star restaurant cooked up some utterly stunning very artsy dishes that included medium fillet.

I can only handle raw in canapes.

grum
    Free Member

Fillet isn’t that great anyway IMO. Not enough fat in it.

trickydisco
    Free Member

All about the featherblade/flat iron steak

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46eRIxVxkG8[/video]

Sandwich

Local food hall has a butcher in it. They have 100 head of Red Poll that provide the meat and the steak is melt in the mouth good. Medium rare for me, though thin sliced translucent carpaccio is also good.

chambord
    Free Member

They have 100 head of Red Poll

Seems mean to kill little birds for steak

mikewsmith
    Free Member

M&S use Scotchbeef which is the same as who Costco use too, very good beef.

Do you just mean beef from Scotland? It’s a little more complex than that. Probably that they give their buyers better requirements than some of the others. Is there any certification on scotch or is it just out of a Scottish slaughter house? If so then it could be from half of the UK.

Also for the op the chef was just serving the steak properly it’s just some people ask for the wrong thing 😉

Houns

Wish people would stop thinking it’s blood coming from the meat

Drac

Is there any certification on scotch or is it just out of a Scottish slaughter house? If so then it could be from half of the UK.

It’s certified and from select producers if I recall correctly, although it can from different places of origin so need to check the label. My late Father in Law use to pick cattle up for slaughter he knew who supplied what beef for which shops.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Jamie Oliver must be having a laugh £54 per kilo for fillet .

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Steak – bloody lovely steak…’ is closed to new replies.