Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Static shock..
  • bernard
    Free Member

Anyone have any idea why I always get a static shock after driving the missus Freelander? doesnt happen with any other car

MrOvershoot

Usually the seat material IMO, had one car that I had to use my shoe to close the door or I would be leaping back with a huge shock.
    Some shoes make it worse depending on the sole material.

bernard
    Free Member

I shut the door by pushing the side window, then got shocked last night when I went to shut the metal gates

MrOvershoot

Yep, its because you have built up a static charge on you, your shoes are insulating you from the ground. The first earthed thing you touch completes the circuit to dissipate the static.

breadcrumb

My old AX use to be bad for static- best to let the passenger shut their door first IMO.

Drac

Use to get that with a certain paid of shoes and any car, quite a belt at times.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

My old van used to do it to me. If you hold the metal of the door whilst getting out, you discharge yourself with no shock. Simples.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve had shocks from my last 3 cars, as said above touching a metal part of the door as you put your foot to the ground solves the problem.

Edit: Driving the car stark naked would probably work too 😆 HTH

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Driving one of the work vans today, got out and got a big static shock – my colleague heard the crack. I must remember the two tips – drive around naked and hold something metal as I get out.

monogramman
    Free Member

drive around naked and hold something metal as I get out

Chrome vibrator for extra points!

andyl
    Free Member

try different shoes. I always used to get shocks when I wore a particular pair of shoes.

Ticklinjock

Stick a piece of old bike chain in your right sock and leave the other end trailing the ground

Suggsey
    Free Member

Try driving it without ‘that’ skin suit on 😀

CountZero

I used to get really bad shocks from my Puma, ended up always tapping the metal of the door with the back of my hand, through my fingernails, didn’t feel the shock through those. I don’t get it with the Octavia.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Static shock..’ is closed to new replies.