Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Start stockpiling baked beans. Armageddon is coming.
  • Stoner
    Free Member

I assume it’s coming anyway.

Ive finally destroyed a UN72 bottom bracket.

I bought it second hand. 10 years ago. It started developing a cadence click a few weeks ago. Damn annoying on a SS.

Snuck out to the shed for a bit of “me time” with the bikes this christmas and gave the cranks a wobble, and there’s play in the bearings so Ive swapped it out for MY LAST SPARE UN72 🙁

It’s like losing your penultimate testicle.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

He He I have one of those in my tool box. You can still buy them dirt cheap can’t you? Amazing how those things used to last.

Stoner
    Free Member

they dont make them anymore.

The UN54 which is the current product (£15) is 50g heavier as it doesnt have the hollow axle.

NOS UN72s go for over £30 on ebay.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

8pm BBC3

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I have 12kg of baked beens here, will that be enough?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

WE’RE DOOMED, WE’RE DOOMED!

Are we doomed?

Yes, we’re doomed.

WE’RE DOOOOOOOOOOMMEEEEDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111ONEONEONEOoneoneone

showerman
    Free Member

how long before its the end of ht2

stumpyjon

WE’RE DOOMED, WE’RE DOOMED!

I have 12kg of baked beens here

Oh yes…..

Northwind

showerman – Member

how long before its the end of ht2

Pretty soon- they’ve invented something less reliable and harder to fit which is going to take over

Andy
    Stoner
    Free Member

😯 😯 😯 😯 😯 😯 😯
    Andy, you legend!
    Are those really NOS UN73s?
    Wonder how much for shipping 3 of them?

Andy

He he thought you would like that 🙂

Is it right that the only difference between UN5x and UN7x is the UN7x has a hollow axle so is a bit lighter? – Loads of NOS UN5x on ebay

aracer
    Free Member

Is it right that the only difference between UN5x and UN7x is the UN7x has a hollow axle so is a bit lighter?

ISTR it’s not the only difference – for a start, doesn’t a UN5x have one plastic cup?

Stoner
    Free Member

yep 5X have plastic cups. But the old metal ones are interchangeable and they dont wear out 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Armageddon is a crap film, I have learned.

CHB

Armageddon is a great film. Very very cheesy (with extra cheese), but its a set piece of how to do a blockbuster disaster film.
    Mind you, I also like Independance Day.

taxi25
    Free Member

Armageddon is a crap film, I have learned.

Just watched it again 😀 The alternative being watching coronation st an downton with the wife mother !!!!!! Loved it as ever.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s not great, it’s crap.

TBH I was mostly crashing my new tiny RC Apache hekelopter into things to pay much attention to the film. Paper lampshade’s knacked, and I’ve sustained a head injury. 😐

CHB

It’s got Liv Tyler AND mini-guns….in space. Whats not to like.

clubber
    Free Member

I killed a UN7x a couple of years ago. once I got over the shock and then crushing depression I realised that the UN54 does actually have a hollow axle, is silly cheap and similarly indestructible. it does come with a plastic lock ‘ring’ but I’ve never had an issues with them and if you’re a bit ham fisted ( 😉 ) then you can you your old metal one.

HTH

samuri
    Free Member

Liv Tyler makes the film I believe but some of the quotes are awesome.

“Space Dementia!”

Apart from those things it’s god-awful. Independance day is better but it’s all American bollox at the end of the day,

Andy

UN5x probably have lesser bearings which mean they only last 8 years.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I thought that the UN5x and 7x’s had the same bearings, but a hollow axle on the 7x and an alloy rather than plastic cup on the 5x? I din’t think there were any other differences, not as far as I’ve seen with quite a few of them?

And do current 5x’s come with the hollow axle, suggesting that it’s actually a 7x with a plastic cup?

Whatever, bloody good bits of kit, proper quality, last for ages, don’t require spensive replacement every 3 hours, and were relatively great value for money.

Hmm, I can see why Shimano want us to buy the new ‘not as good does not in any way last as long costs loads more in the long run’ alternative….

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Start stockpiling baked beans. Armageddon is coming.’ is closed to new replies.