Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • starnut in a planet x pro carbon fork?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

I just bought a planet x carbon frame and forks off here and on arrival today I notice that theres a starnut fitted. The steerer appears to be carbon with what looks like an aluminium core however.

Now a quick google tells me that starnuts on a carbon fork are a big no no. Is this the case with these forks? Anyone able to confirm?

ta

Haze

Definitely a star nut and aluminium core running top to bottom, or a short aluminium sleeve with a wedge system?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Can’t really tell, but it looks like an Aluminium core. It looks bonded in, certainly won’t move. Assume theres no way of me removing the starnut to check either?

Haze

If there’s a hex head in there then it’s probably a fork bung. Winding it out should loosen up the aluminium sleeve.

I’d have thought there wouldn’t be much point in having a carbon steerer then using an alu core, I’m not familiar with this fork so just hazarding a guess…

tpbiker
    Free Member

no hex head in there I’m afraid! Looks like its carbon wrapped aluminium. Ideally someone with this fork will come along and tell me all is ok, otherwise I will call PX tomorrow.

Many thanks for your response

big_n_daft
    Free Member

if it’s an SL Pro the one I had was a full carbon steerer

sounds like someone has bodged a sleeve and star nut arrangement

Haze

Sorry, assumed an SL Pro.

If it’s a Nanolight then it’s a full carbon steerer.

brant
    Free Member

There are no carbon wrapped alloy steerer forks from Planet X.
    Infact I’ve never seen a carbon wrapped steerer.
    Either alloy or full carbon.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Mystery solved…

I mailed the seller, he tells me its an Aluminium insert bonded in. Apparently its a bit of kit available from Easton rather than a bodge.

Would be nice if someone could reassure me that the structure of my forks hasn’t been massively compromised given I’ve never heard of this being an option for carbon steerers before. ie…Is this a common fix, I have no particular reason to disbelieve the seller, just massively paranoid about losing my teeth first time I hit a pot hole?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘starnut in a planet x pro carbon fork?’ is closed to new replies.