Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Stanton Switchback – what’s the closest geometry to this beauty ?
  • 4roads
    Free Member

What other frame / bike has the closest geometry to the Stanton switchback ?

srshaw
    Free Member

Why not the Stanton?

eddie11
    Free Member

Why not the Stanton?

699 problems but the geometry ain’t one?

weeksy

It’s expensive but VERY pretty though.

bruneep

Size?

Get on the stanton FB group, frames come on there from time to time. They do seem to hold their value tho. I ended up buying new because of that.

kayla1
    Free Member

BFe? The Stanton is nice, dunno if it’s 1.4 times nicer than the BFe though…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I was looking at the ti version yesterday as I quite fancied a change but Jesus Christ, the price! I was under the impression that Stanton were just another far east frames/UK designed company like Cotic but their prices suggest otherwise. Was I wrong or are they just really pricey?

weeksy

DaveyBoyWonder – Member
    I was looking at the ti version yesterday as I quite fancied a change but Jesus Christ, the price! I was under the impression that Stanton were just another far east frames/UK designed company like Cotic but their prices suggest otherwise. Was I wrong or are they just really pricey?

Not sure in that context, but looking at the welds, the paint, the chainstays and the overall finish, would make me happier spending more than for some other brands of frame. When i was looking, they just looked really well done.
    In the end i cancelled my order before shipping, but that was down to finances, not quality.

tagnut69
    Free Member

I think the frames are not made in the UK, just UK designed

km79
    Free Member

I think they might be made in Japan. They are high quality in terms of design detail and finish so there is a premium for that.

nt80085

Not really answering the ops q but if ti was an interest for others then worth considering the Vendetta x2 as a leftfield option. About to potentially buy one myself.

mindmap3
    Free Member

They’re expensive, there’s no denying it but bear in mind that unlike some of the competition they use Reynolds fir all of the tuning – Switchback is 631 front and 525 rear. On top of that stuff like the chainstay yoke costs to produce. The factory that makes them is supposedly shit hot with welsers needing years of experience. I think the quality of the welds testify to that. Far East manufacture is getting more expensive too as wages go up and the quality of the workmanship is very high….look at the welds on Orange bikes for example.

The DMR Trailstar is five hundred quid for bog standard cromo.

Having had an older BFe followed by an older Slackline there was a big difference in how the two felt to me.

The Ti ones are crazy money now. Ride nicely though although I think the Mk I Ti Switchback is nicer to ride than the new one based on having both.

chiefgrooveguru

The new Zero AM Boost is very similar geometry, you just have to downsize to get the Stanton’s shorter reach. New BFe isn’t far off, just longer chainstays (and reach like the Bird).

4roads
    Free Member

I know the Stanton is quality …. it’s just the price is out of reach..

If they did cycle to work scheme with the rest being paid on zero percent interest over 3 years I’d order one today …

Just seeing what’s out there I don’t know about …

I haven’t seen a 2018 Ragley Blue Pig release ?????

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Plenty of good second hand frames about on pinkbike,you can get nukeproof scouts for around £150…..
    or
    Switchback

philxx1975
    Free Member

They’re expensive, there’s no denying it but bear in mind that unlike some of the competition they use Reynolds fir all of the tuning – Switchback is 631 front and 525 rear. On top of that stuff like the chainstay yoke costs to produce. The factory that makes them is supposedly shit hot with welsers needing years of experience. I think the quality of the welds testify to that. Far East manufacture is getting more expensive too as wages go up and the quality of the workmanship is very high….look at the welds on Orange bikes for example.

Maxway or ORA same as everyone else that lands frames for 200 and puts their markup on.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Maxway or ORA same as everyone else that lands frames for 200 and puts their markup on.

Most of whom don’t use a full Reynolds frame…

philxx1975
    Free Member

Most of whom don’t use a full Reynolds frame

Matters not a jot it’s still overpriced for what it is there’s several brands all doing the same gig, If you think 853 sells your right On One sold shedloads for less than a 1/3rd the price because the sticker was right , If you think it makes a difference your just a mug to marketing.

milfordvet
    Free Member

I’ve got a Salsa Fargo frameset in a box. Last years matt black. It’s nice and I’ll build it up in the spring. Had several before. Its very nicely packaged and looks quality. I think I paid £699 in the sale. This years are close to a grand. Ok its also got a carbon fork and fancy drop outs.

Now here’s the thing. I just bought a similar mat black 26″ Inbred frame, to use up some bits, from On One in the Christmas sale, for £120. The finish is identical, the welds look identical, the bike box and packaging was identical, and the markings on the box, all looked like it came out of the same factory to me, mabe they just use the same box and typeset in Taiwan. If On One can sell that to me and be at a profit, they can only be paying £50-£80 per frame.

Anyhow…I realise 853 costs money. Curved tubes too. Geometry and use are different. On one might be buying more in a batch and so on…but that Inbred is of the same construction and production quality, looks like the same paint frankly, as the Salsa Fargo sat next to it. In fact it could be argued its higher, as the Inbred graphic are under clear coat, the Salsa’s are just stuck on. Just saying. Even after brexit etc, there must be quite some mark up going on with these boutique frames, and its not a reflection of construction quality, looking at these two framesets awaiting builds, only fashionable downhill tailored geometry and the 853 tubeset.

I have to say, well done On One, I salute you.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I couldn’t say if it makes a difference as I’ve never read seen two identical frames made from Reynolds and biggo cromo but a branded material that comes with a higher price tag so adds to costs. It’s not rocket science.

I’ve said previously that they’re expensive now but there are reasons why they’re more expensive than others.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I have to say, well done On One, I salute you.

Don’t forget stuff like quality controls adds money. On One’s isn’t always s great (thinking about the El Guapo’s with BB’s too low etc).

stumason10

Hi guys, just been made aware of this thread. I work at Stanton. So that’s disclosed.

Our aim is to make the best hard tails we can, money no object, best materials, best factory, best paint, neatest and expensive decals, Rust proofed inside and out, clear coat over the decals, a three stage paint process. All frames CEN tested to rigorous levels, all 5 tests have to be passed by 3 frames legally, we design them so one frame passes all 5 tests to ensure the frames you buy are bomb proof. The OP mentioned Ti, commercially they are daft for us to do as the margin is rather tight even at those prices. Bare in mind we buy in small niche volumes of these products, hand made from triple butted and custom drawn Ti. Most other Ti is plain gauge. Also we have never had in 6 years a Ti fail in the field.

So like all things price is a factor and we would love to do all the above for 300 cheaper, the comment saying 200.00 a frame is as funny as it is miles off, if you could get our frames made somewhere to the same spec and most importantly quality, durability and reliability and to our door for that I would rip your arm off.

Like all things its perceived value in the market, I could buy a car for 300.00 that would do the same job of being a car, as spending 1,000,000 on a car. Both are cars. If I could afford it or justify it a McLaren P1 would be outside as I think it’s an amazing car and the ultimate expression of automotive nirvana. Reality is something much more humble.

So as the cliche goes, you pays your money you makes your choice. Nice to have the choice?!

As ever if you’ve a question or want to talk to us about our frames, drop a note to contact@stantonbikes.com and ask for Stu. That’s me.

Happy New Year and here’s to riding the bikes more than 2017.

Stu

mboy
    Free Member

If they did cycle to work scheme with the rest being paid on zero percent interest over 3 years I’d order one today

Not being funny, but do you understand how retail finance works…?

Let me put this to you… Depending on which C2W scheme used, they charge between 10-15% of the RRP for administering the transaction. This comes out of the vendor’s profit.

Then you have the retail finance companies. Typically they charge around 8% for 12 months, 13% for 24 months and around 18% for 36 months. Again, the vendor pays this!

So… do you think it’s feasible, given Stanton were forced to put their prices up due to Brexit (no I’m not going to sugar coat it!) effectively making all imported goods 15-20% more expensive, that they are in a position to be giving away 28% or so of the price of the bike/frame that you want, but also want the convenience of not paying for it all in one go, and you’re keen to fiddle the rules…?

Sorry but if ANYONE thinks *Stanton are taking the piss with their prices, business model or anything else… Have a **** go yourself, start your own MTB frame company if you can do a better job! It’s a free country…

*=Not Just Stanton… Same goes for all the others working hard to make it work for them too. It’s a tough game out there guys, chapeau for trying!

mrsi
    Free Member

I’ve had a lot of steel frames over the years, inbreds, 456s, 2 BFEs, a Solaris, a Transition, and 2 Stantons, a switchback and then a current gen. slackline.

For what it’s worth the next gen slackline is the only steel mtb I’ve ridden that really has the steel ‘smoothness’ to it. There’s a remarkable spring and liveliness to it that I’ve only really noticed in posh steel road /cx frames before. It’s hard to get a frame to pass modern CEN tests without making it feel dead, careful tube diameter choice, butting etc is hard to sell as you can’t see it but it makes a difference. Yes the gains are arguably marginal compared to a cheaper frame with the same geometry but as Stu says above, they’re aiming to make a premium product and that costs. Personally, I was happy to save a bit more,accepting it’s a bit of a luxury and to support a small company trying to make the best product they can.

Returning to the OP’s point – check the Stanton owners group on Facebook, often 2nd hand frames in good nick on offer. Otherwise I’d be looking at new BFe’s or even someone like Dartmoor or NS who seem to be banging out some really good value alu frames these days too.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I think Stanton Dan came on the forum after the post-brexit price hike to defend the price vs. quality and said that they had to make a choice to either raise the price to keep a reasonable margin or drop some of the cool features like the CNC’d chainstay yoke and the fancy tubing. I’m really glad they chose to keep the quality high and go with the price rise, there are loads of cheaper frames so having a few higher quality* frame offerings out there is a good thing.
    (Stanton Ti owner since 2014, given it loads of hammer and it still looks and rides as good as the day I bought it.)
    *subjective I know.

Gunz
    Free Member

I have a Slackline that makes me smile every time I look at it. I also have an Inbred that I resent even cleaning (nothing against a cheap frame that does what it’s designed for, it just doesn’t inspire pride of ownership).

blacknose
    Free Member

Also worth keeping in mind that On-Ones might be cheap, but they’re a shit company. A bit before christmas 2016 they made loads of their staff redundant and hired on cheaper agency workers to replace them so they could pay less and give fewer staff benefits, all while posting record sales figures. Support a company like that if you want, but I wouldn’t have the nerve to buy from a company that shits all over it’s workers.

Their bikes are **** ugly tat too.

bigad40
    Free Member

Still got an mk1 Slackline frame in electric blue. It’s an amazing bike. Real quality.
    Last year I begged and borrowed to buy a Stanton Sherpa (29er). It’s absurd!!
    It manuals, rails corners, blasts down anything I’m prepared to tackle and then cruises back up.
    I’ve even been popping one hand wheelies (I’m 46 Years old for Pete’s sake!!!) it’s confident and fun.
    I love the sound the Steel makes when trail grit “pings” off it.
    That old Slackline laughed off some big stones on a rocky trail in South Africa a few years ago and the paint is still in good condition.
    Get one if you can.
    Dan Stanton is on the ball.
    Titanium is nice but the Reynolds frames are so good I’d have to win the lotto jackpot before going that way.

chiefgrooveguru

Also we have never had in 6 years a Ti fail in the field.

This is absolutely outstanding. I’ve never heard a bad thing about the Ti Stantons and I’d say they’re gradually making me believe that titanium isn’t a stupid material for hard riding hardtails. But I’m probably too stingy and too unbothered by weight to buy one!

Stu, if you pop back here, can you make the seat tubes shorter and top tubes more dropped next time you do a frame revision? And maybe go to a 31.6mm post if it doesn’t mess up the feel.

Scamper
    Free Member

Love my Switchback – its still slacker than most similar frames on the market, but not as fashionably low or long as some, and for good reason as explained by Dan Stanton. Had previously a 31.6 Slackline 26 and although leagues ahead of my previous 26 Bfe, my god the back end was uncomfy compared to the 30.6 Switchback.

I had no issue in the last price hike for a Stanton HT. However, perhaps it’s just me, but if the new full suss frame is well north of £2k regardless as to the quality and made in uk tagline, that would have me as a Stanton fan looking elsewhere.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Titanium is nice but the Reynolds frames are so good I’d have to win the lotto jackpot before going that way.

The 853 frames in particular have a lovely feel – I borrowed a second gen Slacklione for a few weeks and think it had a nicer feel to it than my second generation Ti Switchback. It really was a lovely bike to ride.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I have a new gen Slackline, love it. It rides amazing and as mentioned above the build quality is great, though my frame has a couple of patches of lacquer that has lifted, so the finish isn’t as nice as it once was (unsure if this is my fault through use, or if it was a paint issue). However, it gets ridden twice a week as my only bike so wear/marks are inevitable.

OP you may wish to look at Orange P7 or the new Cotic BFe, both of which are slightly cheaper than the Stantons and not too far off the geo.

stumason10

Stu, if you pop back here, can you make the seat tubes shorter and top tubes more dropped next time you do a frame revision? And maybe go to a 31.6mm post if it doesn’t mess up the feel.

Hi Chiefgrooveguru!

Drop us a note to contact@stantonbikes.com, always interested to hear thoughts on stuff. Not sure which frame you’re referring too, but, drop me an email as don’t usually lurk on here that much, just one of our customers mentioned there was a debate running!

Thanks for all the positive comments too, does really help as we do genuinely try and build the best bikes we can at a sensible price, and you either deal with Dan who designs the bikes and owns the business or me for any sales or follow up support.

Anyway, I’ll leave you to the debate! All good sport and happy to take any questions at the above email address. Main thing for us is its great there are more people enjoying steel and Ti frames and delighted to hear when people say they are really loving what we do. Thats actually what we are here for. Make good stuff and pay the mortgage too.

Take care

Stu

4roads
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice.

I’ve seen the full range of Stanton bikes at a bike show and know how quality they are which is why I want one. Do they do demo days ?

Maybe I’ll just wait and keep saving….. but this gets boring …. and something always comes up to wipe out the savings …

Mboy – no I have no idea how bike financing works – I just know some companies like bird take cycle to work scheme vouchers and allow you to pay the rest on zero percent finance but currently only over a year although they are looking to increase this time. You have to pay a £100 admin fee for the cycle to work scheme though.

I know quite a few bike companies offer zero percent finance over 3 years for bikes over £2000 and I would buy a bike today with Stanton if they did this.

The kingdom bikes look amazing also …. but alas are on a higher level of price

I’ll book a demo on the bird zero am boost …. but there full suss aeris has just caught my eye for circ 2k …..

Yeah and the new Bfe ticks a lot of bike want boxes ….

Also the Whyte 905 / 909 but I really wanted to stay steel …. I currently have an old 26 Orange P7

Mrsi I’ve never heard of Dartmoor – thanks – are these steel or Ally ?

Having a look at NS also

Maybe a Salsa Beargrease with Nextie wheels and be done with it …… 🙂

Thanks again ….

weeksy

know quite a few bike companies offer zero percent finance over 3 years for bikes over £2000 and I would buy a bike today with Stanton if they did this.

Some retailers do. When I was going to buy a frame a retailer did great finance

https://www.blazingbikes.co.uk/index.php/bikes/stanton-slackline-853-next-gen.html

vincienup
    Free Member

That’s really not how c2w is meant to work, and given that it’s a hire agreement and the bike isn’t yours until the c2w terms are done with regardless, stacking finance on top of c2w is insane.

If Bird do this, I’ve just lost a little respect for them. It’s putting the buyer in a fairly dodgy position.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve seen the full range of Stanton bikes at a bike show and know how quality they are which is why I want one. Do they do demo days ?

Where are you based? If you can get to Matlock they’re normally pretty happy to sort a demo ride locally.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Be careful with NS Bikes. Had 3 frames before I got a straight one amongst other QC issues. The paint finish for both gloss and matt is soft as shite, matt is worse, give it a menacing stare and it scratches!

4roads
    Free Member

Cheers weeksy

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Stanton Switchback – what’s the closest geometry to this beauty ?’ is closed to new replies.