Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Stans ZTR rims: Crests or Arches
  • turbocabbage
    Free Member

Hey there. I’m currently in the process of building a new 29inch singlespeed all-mountain bike. It’s going to have front suspension (Rockshox Reba) and a Steel Frame (Salsa El Mariachi, which is 2.4kg, about as light as a steel frame is going to get I think).

The only thing I’m currently undecided about is the rim choice: I’m definitely going for Stans ZTR rims, handbuilt on Hope Pro2 Hubs. I’m just not sure weather to go for the Crests (380g) or the heavier duty Arches (470g).

I weigh about 60kg and don’t usually carry a lot kit with me. I mainly ride XC/All Mountain, and I like to go fast with the odd little drop or jump. I definitely am not a big downhiller or mental jumper, and I’ve never really busted up a wheel before.

I want the bike to lean, fast and light. I think having really light wheels, and in particular lightweight rims and tyres will make a big difference, as the outer edge of the wheel is what you spend most of your energy on moving. I’m already sacrificing lightness by going for a tough steel frame, so I’d like to have lightest possible wheels. On the other hand, the Arches are still very light for 29er rims, and I don’t want to spend loads of time trueing my new wheels.

Long and short of it is: will the Stans Crests rims (handbuilt by a pro and supported by front suspension and steel frame) stand up to fast and flowing all-mountain riding with the odd jump, for a rider who weights 60kg? Or should I just go for Arches?

Thanks a lot

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’m 80 kilos, but a relatively smooth rider and have had no probs with Crests on a Soul.

I suspect they’ll be fine…

P20

I’ve ran 355s on my yeti 575 for over 3yrs without any problems. I’ve just crests (the replacement for the 355) on the carbon 456. I’m a little heavier than you and I don’t think you’ll have any problems.
    Mine are 26 and running 2.25 nobby nic tubeless btw

nosemineb
    Free Member

I am 75kg and my 29er is setup rigid for xc. Ive just swapped from Arch to Crest. so 100% crest is my opinion.
    I went for the DT super comp spokes instead of the lighter revoulution to keep things strong and light and they have been great so far.
    The weight difference was really noticeable uphill and even slow speed steering was better. Crest crest crest!!! 8)

njee20
    Free Member

I weigh about 60kg

I definitely am not a big downhiller or mental jumper, and I’ve never really busted up a wheel before

I want the bike to lean, fast and light.

Question answered?

docrobster
    Free Member

Flows just to be on the safe side

nicko74

Interesting, I had the same thought – I’m switching some rims out, and in the US Stans are relatively cheap (£100 a pair at current rates) compared to the UK.

Sounds like Crests all the way for me.

nosedive
    Free Member

sounds like crests ! you should be fine at that weight I would have thought. I love arches though. I weigh 87kg and they are the only rim of a sensible weight that have ever lasted me more than a year

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Crests for sure.

14st and using them on my Ti456. Although, 7 rides in, I’ve put a buckle in the rear and the front was a little out too. 😕

Pieface

Was tempted by the Crest’s as they’re cheap on Hope Hoops, ended up getting a set of Arches just to be on the safe side. They’re lighter than my old XM719s.

theotherjonv

slight hijack

What else do you need (apart from sealant) to be able to run Stan’s rims tubeless with std tyres.

njee20
    Free Member

A turn of their yellow tape and a valve.

theotherjonv

so: rimstrips to convert standard rims to tubeless

yellow tape and a valve with their tubeless rims

Thanks!

banginon

You might not need the rim strip, try just the yellow tape. It’s working for me.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

it has always annoyed me that stans sell their rims, which need tape/strip/valve, without them as standard… if you’re going to need to use them, include them with the rim! (no?)

i got around it by stretching a smaller innertube around, essentialy ghetto-tubelessing my stans wheels. which is a daft proposition.

anyway, just thought i’d say, as i’m thinking of getting some new wheels, and currently leaning towards proper UST mavics because of this.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve not needed a rim strip with any tyre tubeless or otherwise with stans rims.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Stans ZTR rims: Crests or Arches’ is closed to new replies.