• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by br.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • STANS: Worth it or not?
  • allmountain76
    Free Member

Been getting a few punctures of late especially on the front as i run at lower pressure (2.1 Conti Explorer Pro). Thinking of going for a 2.4 Mountain King on the front and 2.1 Explorer Pro rear with Stans Kit. Is it really worth the hassle and cost?

sadexpunk

it is to me yes 🙂

everyones different tho. id pay over the odds to not have any more punctures 🙂

allmountain76
    Free Member

can you run lower pressures no issues? Currently having to run 40psi front and 45 rear to avoid any and the tyres are pinging all over!

zangolin
    Free Member

Low pressure depends on a number of diff. factors.
    Probably most important is how well your tyres are hooked onto your rims i.e. will they burp air or roll off if you go round a corner. Steel beaded tyres seem to stay on better than folders. How much you weigh, How rocky is it, etc.

Obviously a rim which is designed to run tubless will cause less hassle. I've got a few sets of Stans Flow rims which have been spot on running tubeless. I have run them between 20-25psi with no problems – although I'm under 12 stone so that probably helps.

Worth watching the videos on the No tubes wesbite for some ideas of what to look out for.
    http://www.notubes.com/support_movies.php

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I think tubeless is worth it but the only Stans bit I regularly use is the sealant. The rest is expensive for what it is.

I run ghetto on the front with a standard tyre
    and 3M tape on the rear, a Stans valve and a proper UST tyre

FOG

Every time this comes up I post with a resounding yes. If you are one of those incredible people who is never visited by the P***** fairy it is a waste of money unless you are an XC god and want to lose weight. However if you are like me and seemed to have a P**** every time you went out, then it is worth the faff and expense. In the three years since I went tubeless I have had zero punctures and yes I curse and swear when it comes to change the tyre time but when I see mates struggling with P**** I am very smug.

Onzadog
    Free Member

My set up didn't really save much (if any) weight and I didn't get a huge number of punctures. However, it feels like it rides better to me and so much so that I think it's worth the cost. I use Stan's Flow rims, yellow tape and valves, stan's sealant and Maxxis UST tyres. I'm 15st ish and run 25 psi front and 30 in the rear.

Onzadog
    Free Member

double tap

Yes. Don't buy the special Stans rim strips though. Use 20" tubes split lengthways.

allmountain76
    Free Member

MINT! thanks for the tips on Ghetto conversion, i was about to splash £40 on a tubeless kit from Stans, now i only need the 20" bmx tubes and sealant.

devs
    Free Member

I am finding the Stan's sealant to be a bit pish. I'm ghetto on 2 bikes and proper UST on another. A pin prick in the tread area and Stan's works as advertised but I've had a couple of small sidewall holes and it hasn't done the business. Also, when removing the tyre from the 20" tube rim strip, with Stan's it just pops off, with Joe's which has sealed every hole thrown its way, it becomes quite a task to separate the two. Joe's for me from now on.

pigeonbike
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me if the´"ghetto" method will work with a non-ust tyre (Conti MK) on a non-ust rim (Crossride)?

Shandy
    Free Member

Whether its worth it depends on the cost involved, I have been close to ordering stuff in the past but I'm not sure what I can get away with.

What are my chances of getting away with just a removable-core valve and yellow rim tape on Stan's Flow rims? Maxxis non-UST tyres. Is this the way they are meant to be?!

I have a set of Mavic 321s that I will probably do as well, either BMX tubes or the Stan's kit. I get the impression proper Stan's rim strips are reusable when changing tyres but cut-down BMX tubes are not?

For the price of one proper Stan's kit you could get a compressor and a load of BMX tubes?

Deveron53
    Free Member

I'd echo: 20" Schwalbe BMX tubes (with threaded valve stem). I've had mine done for the last 3 years and run 25psi with a set of Syncros folding Point'n'chute 2.4s – the bike just seems to roll so well off-road. the lower pressure also seems to help the tyre shed mud as well. I don't get any build-up on the PNCs.
    Oh, 1 puncture btw, sealed almost immediately.

keavo
    Free Member

yellow tape and valve works well on a flow rim, i've use several tyre makes this way no problem.
    years ago i converted some mavic 321's and found them to work well (519 were good, 717's not so good). i was using eclipse strips on them but i reckon any strip would be o.k.

br
    Free Member

The price now of the Stans kits is making XM819 rims a worthwhile purchase when buying new wheels.

Currently with Bontrager Mud X's, XM819's and 50ml of Stans liquid. But use the Stans kits on my various DT Swiss rimmed wheels.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘STANS: Worth it or not?’ is closed to new replies.