Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Stan's users – fluid question
  • honourablegeorge

Tubeless let me down for the first time last night – little slit in the tyre, and no fluid left to seal it – it had all dried up. Been about six months since I set them up, I think – would have thought I was still OK?

How often are you putting in fresh fluid, and how much are you putting in?

I’m on Flows and 2.4 Nobby Nics.

br
    Free Member

tbh I just give the wheel a shake whenever its off the bike, and you can hear whether there is liquid in there.

FuzzyWuzzy

Think I put around 80ml in mine and it’s still sloshing about a year later but I think a lot of people suggest changing around 6 months.

honourablegeorge

Don’t think I’ve had the wheels off since I put tubeless on it, that’s the whole joy. Had about 70mls in it… have upped it to 100 now.

geetee1972
    Free Member

It depends on how big the slit was but with the pressure you exert on tyres, it’s very easy for slits and holes to easily open up again even if the latex seals them while the bike is stationary.

I didn’t intend this response to sound rude. It just turned out that way.

honourablegeorge

Wasn’t that big anyhow, about 3mm max.

Clobber
    Free Member

My 29er 2.4 evo nobby nics seem to drink the bloomin stuff, must have put 250ml in the last 6 months…

robdeanhove
    Free Member

I seem to get about 6-9 months out of a tyre, but it depends on the tyre. Some Maxxis, which seal really well, last >12 months. Schwalbe tyres seem to have flimsier tyre walls, need topping more regularly and similarly the Stan’s solution lasts barely 3 months.

My solution: avoid non-UST Schwalbe tyres for tubeless conversions although they’re light and seem to grip well for the given rolling resistance, the sidewalls don’t like the South Downs flint much either!

sefton
    Free Member

same happened to me last week – bought some more and all ok now!

3 months I think they recomend

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Also, you may find that after a while the fluid goes off in the tyre and separates into a clear liquid with some latex lumps in it. Consequently, I wouldn’t just shake and listen for the slosh, I’d open it up at 3 months and check.

bigjim

yeah this happened to me too. I’d left it 4 months – think its supposed to be a top up every 3 months.

footflaps

It dries out faster in warm weather, so you need to top up more often in summer. I just shake the wheel to check I can hear it sloshing about if I’ve not used the bike for a while.

honourablegeorge

Hmm… 3 months then, by the sounds of it. Quick top-up sealed the tyre immediately this morning, no hassle since.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Stan's users – fluid question’ is closed to new replies.