Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Stans rims help please – to repair or replace?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

I have a stans 355 on pro 2 rear wheel. The rim is a little “wobbly” – Matt at 18bikes trued it but a kink in the side wall means it never went “true”.

If it was unlaced could it be straightened and rebuilt? or is it a case of replace? if so – where is cheapest for a stans flow rim?

Would it be cheaper buying a new FRONT wheel with a pro2 hub and flow rim and swapping rims over?

Thus selling a new hope pro2 front hub

cynic-al
    Free Member

A rebuild will not sort it.

Is it causing problems?

goog
    Free Member

bin it and get a proper rim !

unklebuck
    Free Member

Is the sidewall dinked or is it that the main body of the rim is bent?

They’re quite pricey so unless it’s causing a noticable tyre wobble i’d leave it.

vinnyeh

Is it ‘cosmetic’ or does it cause problems?
    If you replace the wheel the same thing could happen to the new one next time out. If it’s still working fine, and not damaging the tire, then why do anything?
    FWIW I’ve had a ding in the wall of one of mine for a year or so, it might lose tire pressure a bit quicker than it used to, but I don’t really know, and don’t really care.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

the ding is not what is concerning me its the wobble that cannot be pulled out of it

njee20
    Free Member

Why’s it concerning you? Unless it’s rubbing on the frame or whatever I wouldn’t worry. Joy of disc brakes.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

surely its only gonna get worse?

matthew_h
    Free Member

Bring it back to the shop if you want me to take another look at it for you. I don’t remember it being that bad though really.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

will do when i get a chance – cheers matt. BTW still car hunting per chance?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rob it needn’t get worse.

Unless it’s so bad it’s losing grip on corners etc then stop fretting.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Nope, got sorted out just after you’d been by actually.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

bollox 🙁

matthew_h
    Free Member

Sorry, didn’t go for a Mondeo in the end

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

If it’s a dink, you could remove it without unlacing the wheel.
    The wheelbuilder would have straightened it out if he though it wouldn’t compromise the strength of the rim to do so.
    But he also would have told you to bin the rim and built a new one in for you if he thought it was a problem that would affect tyre seating etc.
    So just ride it and trust his judgement.
    As a professional wheelbuilder with over 10 yrs professional experience and some high profile customers, it looks to me like he knows his stuff and as you’re on 1st name terms, he wouldn’t want to let you down.
    Having said that, there are no guarantees with any damaged products, and you’re just making a judgement call based on experience.
    So if it doesn’t work, he’s just tried to save you some cash based on an assessment he’s made on the condition of the rim.
    A Flow rim is stronger, and if you want to get a Hoop, I’d take it to Matt to get it trued to his standard as he sounds like a good wrenchman.

Junkyard
    Free Member

watch how much away from true your actual tyre is and dont worry I suspect but it depends on how bad it is. I have kinked rims and dont care /notice

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Stans rims help please – to repair or replace?’ is closed to new replies.