Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Stan's NoTubes kits – "Flow" specific kit and rim drilling (fnarr!)
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

2 questions –

1. Does the Standard kit work with Flow rims, if so, what’s the advantage of the specific Flow version?

2. I dont have a 9.5mm drill bit, presumably 10mm is going to work OK, but would it be better to use a 9mm bit plus some generous filing?

cheers

Rubber_Buccaneer

I am too lazy to google but I thought the drilling thing was for non stans rims where you are fitting one of those rim strips. Am I mistaken? For a flow rim don’t you just need some yellow tape and a valve?

If you do have to drill I vote use the 9mm and give it a wiggle.

alfabus
    Free Member

you don’t need rimstrips, or a drill if you’ve got flows.

yellow tape and a valve are all you need.

not sure why they sell that ‘flow kit’; i guess it is for if you have very loose tyres which need some more persuasion to seat.

Dave

deanfbm
    Free Member

I should be fitting one of these strips 2moro to prevent burping (yea i have a tubeless specific tyre).

From the instructions i’ve read on their site, you don’t have to drill the rim for the rim strip. The it does help seat the valve further. Have you tried fitting yet? Is this the case?

Also, as mentioned above, you don’t NEED the strip on a flow rim, tape can be enough.

MrGreedy

Ditto. Yellow tape and valve working fine on my Flows.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Same here

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Same here

and here

deanfbm
    Free Member

On the drilling front, a 9mm bit will do , it’ll no doubt drill oversize anyway, especially in a hand drill, it’ll be fine.

duir
    Free Member

I am brand new to tubeless.

Yesterday I fitted a tubeless tyre (2012 2.2 Bontrager Team Issue XR4 Tubeless Ready)to a Stans Flow rim in less than 10 mins, then went for a ride with zero air loss or issues. There was no drilling involved, just a flow rim, yellow tape, valve and 1 small bottle of stans fluid. The only tool I used was a track pump and the tyre seated and went up perfectly first time without any fluid in. Then I added the fluid, re-inflated and that was that. I was amazed at how easy the job was and had put it off for ages after reading stuff about how much of a pain it is. Now to see if the Bontrager tyre is strong enough for round here……..!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I decided to stick with my DT Swiss 4.2 rims and get a Standard NoTube kit. I’ll try fitting it next week. The videos suggest trying with existing rim tape before trying the yellow tape, but most people I know seem to have done straight for the yellow Stans tape.

Another question, the FAQs say to remove the presta valve core when initially seating the tyre to get air in quicker – that’s OK, but when you are inflating properly, and with sealant, the valve obviously needs to be back in then. So does it really help to get the initial fitting right without the core?

footflaps

No need to drill a Flow rim.

Yellow tape takes 1 minute to apply – just like sellotape really.

I use a compressor and leave the core in. A track pump should also work fine with the core in, Stans rims normally seat well with tyres.

ansdy

I started with the Flow specific rimstrip kit- no drilling required.

On a separated note, has anyone who has used rim strips experienced a degrading around the valve to a point they leak and will not inflate?

I’ve moved onto yellow tape and separate valves since this has happened to my 2x strips- about 18 months old.

A

allgearnoidea
    Free Member

Check out the video on stans website, very easy to follow and tells all you need to know.

aguesty1
    Free Member

take out the core of the valve, put ya fluid in, pump up then take the pump off, put thumb on valve to stop air coming out and screw the core back in, top up to the correct pressure.

Did my flows last week with the yellow tape, was really surprised at how easy it is, don’t worry about taking the valve core out the fluid doesn’t go everywhere….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Stan's NoTubes kits – "Flow" specific kit and rim drilling (fnarr!)’ is closed to new replies.