Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Stans No Tube Crest ZTR – Kenda Small Block – tightest fit ever…..?
  • easygroove
    Free Member

I have never had to wrestle with a tyre so much to get it on and then today with a puncture, took 20 mins to change a tyre because i could not get the tyre off to swap tube. The rim is running the risk of getting damaged as the plastic levers were replaced with a flat head in the end just to get the bead over the rim.

Are there any tricks to putting tyres on/taking off?
    Are there any tyres (for dry conditions) that fit stans crest better than Small Block 8’s?

Yours
    very frustrated rider!

Tom83

Same rims here, using nobby nic/rocket ron. I’m waiting to order a track pump at the end of the month before i go tubeless, but it was a right bitch to get the schwalbe tyres on, so I’m guessing they’re tight no matter what. I guess they have to be, so they don’t leak!

Oh and loads of soapy water. But not much help on the trail!

DIS

Hi, i have crest rims and found some tires quite tight, couple of tricks you can try:
    1) Buy one of the park tool long / reinforced plastic tire levers (not essential but does help a lot)
    2)Taking of: (if using tube get as much air out as possible first)use two levers placed under the bead about 5-7cm apart then apply pressure slowly to both to lift tire over rim, this seems to work quite well for me to get things started, then normally tire comes of quite easily.
    3) Getting tire on: This helped me lot, place rim of wheel over door handle or something similar, if on trail can use handle bar, pedal (bike upside down with bit of cloth over so you don’t damage rim) or turn saddle 90 deg. Then starting at top pull tire down ward (almost hang of tire!), work right the way to the bottom. Then go back to to top seat about 1/4 of tire bead, pull tire down ward again. Keep working bead in and hang of tire couple times. When you get to bottom part of tire should pop over the rim a lot easier.

Have a look at the no tubes web site shows similar thing, he just uses his fingers and says you should never need a tire lever! I however am clearly week and need some form of mechanical aid.

Hope this helps / makes sence

ratadog

I had this mad plan to use SB8s on 29er Flows. It was quite clear that even if the bead had been half an inch longer I would not have had a snowflake’s chance of getting one onto t’other. Maxxis Ardent/Aspen however were tight but doable.

bigjim

Have you followed the instructions? You have to get the tyre bead in the groove in the middle of the rim, thats what its there for, or you’ll struggle to get them on. Nobby Nics and Kenda Nevegals slip on no problem here with fingers using the bead groove.

ratadog

Ooooh yes I did read the instructions. Ooooh yes I followed them. Ooooh yes I invested in Stan’s own rim tape at a small fortune a roll instead of my usual preference for velox

AND

Ooooh Noooo they were still impossible to get on – and would have been impossible to get off on a ride with anything short of a 3 foot screwdriver and a portable blow torch.

starrman82
    Free Member

I have real grief getting Racing Ralph’s on my Stan’s rims, soapy water helped but not much. Gonna try some different rubber next time..

Junkyard
    Free Member

i put one on that was so tight – forget what type of tyre -that I decided to remove it immediately to avoid trailside messing. Snapped two park tyre levers then I got industrial on it.
    some tyre deffo fit better/easier than others

uplink
    Free Member

SB8s go on ZTR 355s very easily

rob2
    Free Member

I feel your pain. I dread getting a puncture on my crests they are a total nightmare to get tyres on. Even just use insulating tape as the rim tape and still a mare.

Great rims though in use 🙂

m_t_b
    Free Member

I would not use SB8’s for tubeless again the UST versions are around 1kg 😯 and the non UST kept puncturing and burping. You could try Crossmark or TT Larsen

easygroove
    Free Member

should have researched this more, buying rims is not to much of an expense but getting them built is – stans seemed like a good buy based on rider reviews but i didnt pick up much on difficulty changing tyres…..wish id stuck with the DT rims

ilikebikestuff
    Free Member

Maybe I’ve been lucky, but I’ve just got a set of hope hoops with crest rims and have set them up tubeless this weekend with sb8’s.
    Both went on by hand. 🙂

bigjim

Are you using steel beads? That might make it harder. Mine went on dead easy but were folding.

easygroove
    Free Member

they are folding UST sb8’s. It was changing a flat that was most difficult, could not get the bead over the rim edge to get the tube out….it took two of us 20mins on the trail. I’ve been riding for nearly 20yrs and never had this much trouble changing a flat!

br
    Free Member

Sorry for my ignorance, but why would you run Stans rims with tubes?

frogstomp

SB8s go on ZTR 355s very easily

WHS.. have Crests changed much?

I used to struggle with tighter tyres until I realised it was my technique – for some reason I used to try and push both beads on at the same time, rather than one then the other.. 🙄

bigjim

Ah, I thought you explicitly couldn’t run UST tyres on Stans rims? Sure it said that on the site or in the video instructions but could well be wrong.

uplink
    Free Member

So you’re using Stan’s rims & UST tyres and still putting a tube in it?

bigjim

Well, some more ‘I heard that’ type comments along the lines of UST rubber being a problem on stans rims, i certainly have no probs at all with non-UST schwalbe and kenda so far.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stans-crest-with-nobby-nic-ust-problems

tk46hal
    Free Member

I put continentals race kings on my crests and bloody hell it was tough!
    It took nearly 80lb of pressure and a good squirt of washing up liquid for the tyres to pop onto the rims properly. I will probably try tubeless after my first puncture with them and also I now carry a sharp small screwdriver so I can get under the tyre to lead the way for the first tyre lever! 🙄

kingrib111
    Free Member

Panaracer Cinders are no easier. What a mission – Knackered me out!

Keef
    Free Member

what is ‘tube’ ?

ps,run a sb8 on a ztr arch on the front of my 69er,and no I haven’t died yet…..

trail_rat
    Free Member

folding sb8s on stans 355s for 2 years no issues taking them on and off and certainly no burping or leaks – unlike crossmark that lasted 1 ride before i threw it to ****

29er arches with racing ralph sealed no bother first time with track pump tonight

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Stans No Tube Crest ZTR – Kenda Small Block – tightest fit ever…..?’ is closed to new replies.