Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • stans inflation methods
  • Maltloaf

What are people using to inflate their stans tubless systems. Does anyone manage with a track pump or are compressors the way forward – what compressor do people use?

Sam

Depends on the tyre really. I've always managed with a floor pump, but in fact have just bought a compressor because I do a lot of them. I would say unless you have a fleet of tubeless bikes (or other uses for a compressor) it's probably not a necessary purchase.

jonb
    Free Member

Couldn't get mine to work with a track pump. Garage compresors were no good as they were contolled inflations rather than a blast of air.

I ended up using C02 cartridges.

MisterT

track pump. If you can't get air in quick enough it's because there isn't enough of a seal due to the tyre beading being slightly oversized. either change tyre model/brand, or put extra rim tape under the rim strips to make the bead sealing tighter.

hitman
    Free Member

sam, where did you get yr compressor from??

Wally

Aldi compressor – an Annual product – about £70 with loads of attachments.
    Surprisingly useful in all sorts of squirts of air ways.

hitman
    Free Member

Wally – have they got them in stock now??

Wally

Nope – sorry, probably about 6 months away – worth waiting for -will post up when they are in.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Many thanks toOllies yes tubes

🙂

tankslapper
    Free Member

I use one of these:Giant Control Tower Pro Pump (09)

And brush a mixture of this

with water around the rim before inflation…

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive used many tires on a variation of tubeless methods …. never once had an issue getting tires to seat or inflated…. i just have issues with them staying inflated for more than 48 hours ….

followed all the guidelines….hell even ust tires didnt work !

hitman
    Free Member

never used to have a problem with old bbb pump
    now have joe blow – useless!!

JxL
    Free Member

The key to getting a new tyre pumped up, is first doing so with an innertube and leaving it overnight to take "shape".

Next day, remove the tube, fill it up with stans, add foamy washing up liquid around the tyre/rim, two pumps with a track pump and its on! I think I could even pump it with a mini-pump.

Without leaving overnight with an innertube, i tried two days in a row without success.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Never have had to resort to the 'inner tube method'

I get the tyre onto the rim and apply some washing up liquid / water mix. This may also entail a bit of 'sideways' pulling tyre action to get it to seat. Then inflate. (a large track pump as above is ideal) I usually do this to about 60psi to allow the tyre time to pop onto the rim. Leave it for a few minutes – note that at this stage I have not added sealant!

Once you are satisfied the tyre is straight on the rim deflate and either lift a bit of the side wall to add stans (etc) or remove the presta valve core (stans sell them)

Reinflate.

I never have probs with mine

Get all my bits n bobs from Just Riding Along

FuzzyWuzzy

Usually OK with a track pump + washing up liquid but I do sometimes need to stick a tube in and leave it overnight (that way you get one side already sealed if you take the tube out carefully).

ononeorange

Dopey question time – how do you "remove" the presta valve core?

thefallguy
    Free Member

easiest way is to get the stan's core removal tool from freeborn

scruff
    Free Member

You dont need a core removal tool FFS just use pliers.

And a roof-rackstrap wrapped around the cirumference of tyre helps inflation, presses the bead down innit.

And put some fairlyhipkid on the rim strip aswell, helps it settle in better.

Anyway true UST is much better than Stans.

nostoc
    Free Member

I have been using the head and hose of an old track pump attached to my car tyre as a compressor. I put a few turns of electrical tape round the valve and fit the loose end of the hose over it. The screw fitting for the loose end (reversed) then slides back over this like a compression olive. Then simply fit head end to car tyre.

nickc

Once you've had to resort to a compressor for a bicycle tyre, game's up surely..?

MisterT

last year I went through a phase thinking I needed to get a compressor, (and nearly ordered a nifty little petrol powered one) 'cos I couldn't get the dam things to inflate (Nobby Nic 2.3 on DT 4.1, and Razor 2.3 on 717's)… but ended up just needing to add extra rim tape (I used velox cloth tape or michelin plastic strip) under the rubber rim strip and bingo! – able to use normal track pump method….

btw – never had a prob with getting a quick 'n easy seal on the ZTR rims, whatever the tyre.

fozzybear
    Free Member

as above, i run a FULL roll of spoke tape and a velox rim strip on each wheel, inflates fine on a 719 rim, at first i was struggling (see posts on here) but once i found out how much tape to use and i ended up supergluing the velox tape ends together to prevent it lifting when it was wet during instalation i got my rear tyre on first time (front was experientation) full roll of stans spoke tape, one velox rim strip, one none ust high roller, and just pumped it on, i redid the front the same way found it easier to get a joe's presta to shrader adapter and just used an air line the 2nd time as i was lazy.. pop.. on..

DezB
    Free Member

Quick question about Stans – does it use the sealant to seal the joint between tyre bead and rim?

fozzybear
    Free Member

no, the rim strip does that.

RichPenny
    Free Member

how do you "remove" the presta valve core?

I asked this a few weeks ago. You unscrew it (pretty certain its anti-clockwise). Make sure you don't clamp on the knurled nut, as it'll be fairly brittle 😳

phiiiiil

Not all valve cores are removable, mind; Schwalbe ones are.

I find the key to getting tyres to seal with a track pump is to use the *full length* of the shaft of the track pump. Pumping like mad but only using 3/4 of the shaft is useless; big shots of air using the entire shaft is what you need.

peachos
    Free Member

scruff – Member
    And a roof-rackstrap wrapped around the cirumference of tyre helps
    inflation, presses the bead down innit.

that's an excellent tip! i usually mess around with zipties particularly around the valve area to keep the bead on the rim. nice one.

bigyinn
    Free Member

After reading this im quite happy to stick with tubes for foreseeable future!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘stans inflation methods’ is closed to new replies.